P3S Range issues after firmware upgrade

I am using an iPhone 6.

Downgrading can be done upto one previous firmware. Press the graduation hat button on the equipment page on DJI go app for 10 seconds, and the relevant page would appear.

Wow!!! How does no one at DJI told anyone about that feature of pressing grad hat button!!?? No where in the instruction manual or nothing!!! Thanks!!!

Reactions: gvsukids
I am from India. Sending it for repair would be very cumbersome. I fail to understand as to what is to be repaired? Any idea how much will be the repair cost? I can send it to the local DJI dealer.
The first thing you need to decide is, is the craft under warranty or not. I know it is but if it's cost prohibitive to return it for warranty work then I would say it's not under warranty. As with any hobby, especially r/c, you need to be able to do your own repairs. In this case it's as simple as removing the 4 screws in the back of the remote & carefully separate the 2 halves. There are 3 plugs that need to be disconnected to get the back half out of the way. Then follow the antennae cable to the transmitter module. You'll see some white caulking holding the connector into the module. I found that me connector wasn't fully seated. I press the connector until it was seated & thought I had fixed my issue. The range was slightly better but not as good as it was originally. At this time I decided to open the remote again, fully disconnect the cable & reinstall. This got me back to my original distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gvsukids
Yep, before I sent mine in a looked inside, It looked good to me, so I didn't go any farther. The replaced mine under warranty. The return was a different remote and different bird.

Looks like the OP had good signal up to 500m , but after the firmware update the range went down to 100m.
it doesnt hurt to check the connections inside the remote, but thats not likely the issue in this case.
apparently a lot of range issues are tied to firmware. Just look how many members (incl myself) reported improved range and signal quality after the last march 15 v1.4.60 update.

Wow!!! How does no one at DJI told anyone about that feature of pressing grad hat button!!?? No where in the instruction manual or nothing!!! Thanks!!!
Instruction Manual:rolleyes:

Must have been in the last DJI-Go update, button worked but no firmware listed.

I will try to update mine this weekend.

I have a feeling this new function will never be useful, just another thing to make more frustration when you have problem.

My feeling is the remote control signal problems just after a firmware update is a defective part that crapped out during the update.

Static electricity can cause a lot of problems in electronics. Maybe there is a connection to this. A degauss routine before a firmware updateo_O

Reactions: gwilliamIV
You can go down only one firmware. Now that you have updated to 1.5.70, you can go back to 1.4.60 only. 1.3.50 cannot be installed manually or otherwise as far as I know.

How far does your P3S go? Mine goes a mere 100 meters and loses signal, but I have perfect video feed. Haven't lost video feed even once.
I didn't catch your statement of "1.5.70". I just got the notice in the last 10 mins that there is an update to 1.5.70

a couple of things i can think of.
Have you tried re-installing the 1.4.60? Try going one firmware back, and then install 1.4.6 again.
Maybe there was an issue with the FW install.

What about your GO app? Are you on android?
Is there a chance that your GO app automatically updated to the latest DJI GO app version 2.7.2 thats designed for the latest v1.5.70 FW, and you have incompatible GO app version on 1.4.6FW
In that case your best bet would be upgrading to the latest firmware, including you drone, RC, batteries and app

And, have you tried this?
- Resetting WiFi Link, page # 26

upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23-png.43320
upload_2016-2-9_2-39-23-png.43320

You can also try try:
- Calibrating IMU, and,
- Calibrating compass

Good luck!

Hey,

I have tried everything except relinking the wifi because I am unable to do it. I follow the steps and the light keeps blinking red-green into oblivion. No change in status for 5-10 minutes. Is there a way to fix this? I think there is a clue here.

Looks like the OP had good signal up to 500m , but after the firmware update the range went down to 100m.
it doesnt hurt to check the connections inside the remote, but thats not likely the issue in this case.
apparently a lot of range issues are tied to firmware. Just look how many members (incl myself) reported improved range and signal quality after the last march 15 v1.4.60 update.
My range quality actually went down after I upgraded to 1.4.60. That is why is downgraded to 1.3.50 only to see no improvement at all. Now I have updated to 1.5.70 because I've got nothing to lose (at least that is what I am hoping for). Yet to fly the bird on the new firmware. Will fly in the morning. If I fly now and it fails, I won't get proper sleep :(

My range quality actually went down after I upgraded to 1.4.60. That is why is downgraded to 1.3.50 only to see no improvement at all. Now I have updated to 1.5.70 because I've got nothing to lose (at least that is what I am hoping for). Yet to fly the bird on the new firmware. Will fly in the morning. If I fly now and it fails, I won't get proper sleep :(

what if it flys really well? then you will get a great night sleep!
another thing to consider - during FW updates many settings in the GO app are reset or changed. Check all the settings in the go app to make sure they are correct (like beginners mode off etc).
Maybe try deleting and reinstalling the go app. And verify that RC firmware is the correct version to match the a/c current FW.
If the control issue is FW related, installing the new FW update could potentially resolve it.

what if it flys really well? then you will get a great night sleep!
another thing to consider - during FW updates many settings in the GO app are reset or changed. Check all the settings in the go app to make sure they are correct (like beginners mode off etc).
Maybe try deleting and reinstalling the go app. And verify that RC firmware is the correct version to match the a/c current FW.
If the control issue is FW related, installing the new FW update could potentially resolve it.
I do not know how to check RC firmware. It shows nowhere on the app. Any help on this would be great.

Hey,

I have tried everything except relinking the wifi because I am unable to do it. I follow the steps and the light keeps blinking red-green into oblivion. No change in status for 5-10 minutes. Is there a way to fix this? I think there is a clue here.
I do not know how to check RC firmware. It shows nowhere on the app. Any help on this would be great.

Start up your remote, connect to phone or tablet, start your bird (all the pre-flight steps), go to GO app, go to camera mode, once it connects to your a/c and says ready to fly, open setting menu in Go app, go to General Settings, scroll down to where it says Other/About, look there and it should give you all current versions of the app, a/c FW and RC FW. check to make sure your RC has correct FW version for the current a/c FW.

I have never seen the RC Firmware on a Android, I used to see on IOS, but ever time I check neither one of the two ever show up, not even the place holder.
I will check again this weekend. But I won't be able to check on a IOS.

Added:
Nope messed around a lot..
Asus, connected to remote and bird seeing the camera.
Under About,
app: 2.7.1
ver: 1.4.60
FController has a long serial number.

Last edited:
I have never seen the RC Firmware on a Android, I used to see on IOS, but ever time I check neither one of the two ever show up, not even the place holder.
I will check again this weekend. But I won't be able to check on a IOS.

Added:
Nope messed around a lot..
Asus, connected to remote and bird seeing the camera.
Under About,
app: 2.7.1
ver: 1.4.60
FController has a long serial number.
Yes I see the same on iOS. I can try to connect to Android and check on it as well. Will keep you guys posted

You can go down only one firmware. Now that you have updated to 1.5.70, you can go back to 1.4.60 only. 1.3.50 cannot be installed manually or otherwise as far as I know.

How far does your P3S go? Mine goes a mere 100 meters and loses signal, but I have perfect video feed. Haven't lost video feed even once.

I upgraded to 1.5.70 and only 1.3.40 appears as a down-grade option. How do you manually install firmware and where are the up-grade packages stored?

I upgraded to 1.5.70 and only 1.3.40 appears as a down-grade option. How do you manually install firmware and where are the up-grade packages stored?
It can be triggered through the micro SD card, bht DJI claims that P3S won't accept any upgrade downgrade unless done through app. I suggest you do a little search on the forum here. I am sure there is a thread about manually upgrading firmware. I will post here if I find.

1.3.50 appears as a downgrade option on your system because you would have never upgraded to 1.4.60 at the first place. You must have jumped to 1.5.70 straight. I am just guessing.

Reactions: SZNJ732

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl