P3P or P3A?

Awesome!! By that time the P4 or P5 will be out. Good choice.

Thats exactly what I did. Bought an extra battery and a case. When 4K Technology become more revelant and cheaper for consumers, thats when i'll make a change.

Smart move. You basically just got the same product for a lot less. Smile because now you can have extra batteries or something that actually matters and still have paid less than a P3P!
Hi Dav,

I understand that you are under the impression there is no difference between 4k and 1080p footage when viewed on a 1080p display. Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

I think there are two things worth noting here. First is an explanation as to why there is a real, measurable difference in quality between the two:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The second is, I feel that if you are telling people misleading / false information like that there is no quality difference, you are doing them a disservice in their purchasing decisions. It's ok to not know stuff. But if you don't know stuff and confuse others who are trying to make purchasing decisions, that starts to venture into 'unfortunate' territory.

If you are looking for the Phantom that makes the best quality videos, it is the Phantom 3 pro in 4k mode. Objectively so.

Hello all.
My first post.

I was pretty set on ADV model, but i have a micro center and best buy not too far from me.
Im thinking about going to BB so they price match MC's price for the PRO.
I do not need 4k to be honest, but at $999 its just a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tests have been done in detail on this:
Advance v Pro - Camera Options

You can see there really is no difference and the 4K isn't quite what you're expect on the P3P.

Hi Dav,

I understand that you are under the impression there is no difference between 4k and 1080p footage when viewed on a 1080p display. Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

I think there are two things worth noting here. First is an explanation as to why there is a real, measurable difference in quality between the two:

The second is, I feel that if you are telling people misleading / false information like that there is no quality difference, you are doing them a disservice in their purchasing decisions. It's ok to not know stuff. But if you don't know stuff and confuse others who are trying to make purchasing decisions, that starts to venture into 'unfortunate' territory.

If you are looking for the Phantom that makes the best quality videos, it is the Phantom 3 pro in 4k mode. Objectively so.

Ham Sandwiches said...

Ham, thank you sooo much for that post, It was the best explanation for 4K that I have seen yet. I went with the pro because I edit a lot of video on Adobe Premier, and I also have a new laptop that plays 4K, but after reading a lot of this thread I started second guessing my decision. I don't think there is anything wrong with the P3A, but if it's not going to break the bank, I think the P3P is the way to go, especially after seeing Ham's video!

The tests have been done in detail on this:
Advance v Pro - Camera Options

You can see there really is no difference and the 4K isn't quite what you're expect on the P3P.
Davphys, here is a comparison video that is shot on both a Phantom 3 advanced and a Phantom 3 pro - same place, same time. Both are flying and the footage cuts back and forth.

You are telling me that you cannot see a difference in this footage? If that is the case, there is something seriously wrong with your viewing environment (monitor/ lighting, etc). There is a difference between the footage captured by an Advanced and Pro, and most people (including myself) can see it. I have also provided the technical reasons it exists.

Reactions: Solar Deity
Ham Sandwiches said...

Ham, thank you sooo much for that post, It was the best explanation for 4K that I have seen yet. I went with the pro because I edit a lot of video on Adobe Premier, and I also have a new laptop that plays 4K, but after reading a lot of this thread I started second guessing my decision. I don't think there is anything wrong with the P3A, but if it's not going to break the bank, I think the P3P is the way to go, especially after seeing Ham's video!
That's why I went for the pro.
After watching nearly all of the phantom 4K videos on YouTube and comparing them to the 1080p and 2.7k phantom videos on my 1080p tv and my 5k iMac I decided that there was enough of a difference to buy the pro. Using ND filters and using the camera in manual mode makes all of the difference in getting great video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jack Ley
I have a Phantom 1.1.1 basically built as much as possible, and I am getting the itch to go bigger and better. Besides the video, what are the main differences in the Advanced and Professional models?

One part of me says if I am spending $950 on the Advanced, I may as well spend the $1250 on the Pro, but the other part of me asks why, if its only a difference in video.

Please help! :cool:

Isn't that the exact reason for the Phantom? The video?

For FPV I think both are 1080p. The video on the card is a higher resolution as well as a higher bit rate on the P3P

Davphys, here is a comparison video that is shot on both a Phantom 3 advanced and a Phantom 3 pro - same place, same time. Both are flying and the footage cuts back and forth.

You are telling me that you cannot see a difference in this footage? If that is the case, there is something seriously wrong with your viewing environment (monitor/ lighting, etc). There is a difference between the footage captured by an Advanced and Pro, and most people (including myself) can see it. I have also provided the technical reasons it exists.
I totally agree there is an obvious difference in quality but I would of liked to have seen the 4K vs 2.7k side by side.

Hi Dav,

I understand that you are under the impression there is no difference between 4k and 1080p footage when viewed on a 1080p display. Unfortunately, this is incorrect..

You are of course correct. You will not be able to convince him otherwise though. I just hope the folks that come in here do their own research and arrive at their own conclusions. I said it before. If video quality is your top priority then get the Pro. If it isn't get the advanced. Pretty simple. I won't even bring in the FPV advantages... That's another fight for another day.

Hi Dav,

Again you make sense. There is a difference. For some the difference is not significant enough to get the more expensive version for others it is... that is understandable. But to dismiss the difference and state that both are the same is at best misinformation at worst malicious and intentional..

Where have I seen that before...

We-have-them.jpg

Reactions: Jack Ley
I totally agree there is an obvious difference in quality but I would of liked to have seen the 4K vs 2.7k side by side.

Ohhh that video starts off that way.

Really think this is friendly fire anyway. I don't think there is a chance of this ever ending both AC's are great but they are different.

You need monitor or tv that support resolution for 4k video to get that 4k video quality, if play on device that does not support 4k video, 2.7k video and 4k video looks same..... am I right?

You need monitor or tv that support resolution for 4k video to get that 4k video quality, if play on device that does not support 4k video, 2.7k video and 4k video looks same..... am I right?

Sorry, but you are not, watch this video that was posted earlier in the thread, it surprised me too!

Exactamundo!!!

I have done that exact test on one of the best and highest resolution televisions around. You will not notice a difference. And if people understood how optics work, you have to be extremely close to the television to truly appreciate any difference whatsoever.

4k videos has 4x more pixels compare to 1080p... for sure the video quality is diffrent but they consume more HDD space.

i have only a 1080p tv, and there is a pretty big quality difference with 4k vs 2.7k. you dont need a 4k monitor to get the quality out of a 4k vid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan