P3P or P3A?

if you don't have a MC by you, I believe you can get BestBuy to pricematch.
I saw someone else mention the idea, but I haven't seen anyone try it. If anyone tries it, please report back here.

If you're more about the flying experience than video captured then P3A is for you. if that's not the case, spend a little more for the P3P for the 4K videos, even if you're not a "pro". Without any editing, I can pull the SD from my P3P, and play it for the family on the 60" 4K TV and it looks amazing (over 1080P). With prices coming down on these 4Ks I am suspecting more and more will have these in their living room. Why would you want to still shoot and play 1080P videos? :)

But on a serious note, it's all about your intention. For me, 4K is here, and even if I didn't fully take advantage of it at this moment, I am set for when I do/future.

Side note, Mircrocenter has them for 999.99. I just check prices this morning:
Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Thank you for choosing Micro Center (Micro Center).
SKU#828129
Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K Camera and 3-Axis Gimbal
$999.00
I'm going to get the pro.

I live in the UK so I'm going to have to look elsewhere [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Cristo Colombo
P3p here and considering the video pixelation and artifacts I see under less than ideal conditions... (most of the time) I would be pissed if I bought a p3a instead.

It'd probably be great if conditions were perfect all the time but alas.

P3p here and considering the video pixelation and artifacts I see under less than ideal conditions... (most of the time) I would be pissed if I bought a p3a instead.

It'd probably be great if conditions were perfect all the time but alas.
Are you saying the P3P produces bad footage?

Money an issue. Get the advanced.. Best deal. If you don't think you need 4K get the advanced.. I use 4K I have the pro.

And whoever said 1080 is 1080 is just wrong... Again as it relates to downsized video there are a number of advantages to having more room without degradation. Again been answered thousands of times. There are obvious benefits aside from future proofing footage...

And for those saying they don't own a 4K tv my question would be... So you are never going to buy one? Ever? Ok... Then buy the advanced.

Please read this thread which shows extensive testing:

Advance v Pro - Camera Options

Paying hundreds more for the P3P is stupid. The downsized video tests show zero, no, nada, nill difference at all. And the distance bitrate is actually worse in the P3P.

By the time 4K becomes relevant at all, the P4 will have established itself.

Money an issue. Get the advanced.. Best deal. If you don't think you need 4K get the advanced.. I use 4K I have the pro.

And whoever said 1080 is 1080 is just wrong... Again as it relates to downsized video there are a number of advantages to having more room without degradation. Again been answered thousands of times. There are obvious benefits aside from future proofing footage...

And for those saying they don't own a 4K tv my question would be... So you are never going to buy one? Ever? Ok... Then buy the advanced.

I have but not for the Phantom. It was for a stereo receiver and the price difference was about $250. It varies from location to location as sometime it depends on the person/mgr you get...in this instance, I don't see it being an issue for PM. Unless BB is far from you, it doesn't hurt to just walk in and ask.

I saw someone else mention the idea, but I haven't seen anyone try it. If anyone tries it, please report back here.

Even if there is no appreciable difference in downscaling from 1080 that still doesn't matter.. There are roughly 4 1080 videos in 4K ... Not to mention that for most people 4K is already relevant. My videos are future proofed by capturing them in the highest resolution available...

If you want the absolute best video available get the Pro... If money is an issue get the advanced it is the best bang for the buck.

Absolute nonsense. No appreciable difference. By the time 4K has any use the P4 or even P5 will be out.

See below from another post on a differ not thread after extensive testing:
"Me too. On my iPad mini I was well happy with the P3A live image. It was a guy with FPV goggles that made me look closer. Looking at the downloaded files on the iPad on a PC screen (since I don't have goggles) the difference is obvious. Two things I now notice even on the iPad are a sweeping horizontal scan effect, and the mushy loss of detail over grass or trees. But to be honest I can live with them. I would have preferred not to have been trained to see them!
Something I pointed out in another post is that at distance the P3P live feed bitrate is poorer than the P3A. What I see happening is that while the P3A might get some torn frames at that distance, the P3P reduces the quality of every frame to try to avoid that defect. The P3P transmitter strength is no different to the P3A, so it can't magic a high bitrate transfer out of a weak connection."

Testing has been done extensively and downscaling is IDENTICAL on the P3A and P3P. Stop trying to make yourself feel better for wasting an extra few hundred dollars and do the right thing and encourage people to rather spend an extra couple hundred on batteries or something that will actually matter. I've had both the P3P and P3A and I can attest to the lack of difference.

Even if there is no appreciable difference in downscaling from 1080 that still doesn't matter.. There are roughly 4 1080 videos in 4K ... Not to mention that for most people 4K is already relevant. My videos are future proofed by capturing them in the highest resolution available...

If you want the absolute best video available get the Pro... If money is an issue get the advanced it is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Absolute nonsense. No appreciable difference. By the time 4K has any use the P4 or even P5 will be out.

See below from another post on a differ not thread after extensive testing:
"Me too. On my iPad mini I was well happy with the P3A live image. It was a guy with FPV goggles that made me look closer. Looking at the downloaded files on the iPad on a PC screen (since I don't have goggles) the difference is obvious. Two things I now notice even on the iPad are a sweeping horizontal scan effect, and the mushy loss of detail over grass or trees. But to be honest I can live with them. I would have preferred not to have been trained to see them!
Something I pointed out in another post is that at distance the P3P live feed bitrate is poorer than the P3A. What I see happening is that while the P3A might get some torn frames at that distance, the P3P reduces the quality of every frame to try to avoid that defect. The P3P transmitter strength is no different to the P3A, so it can't magic a high bitrate transfer out of a weak connection."

Testing has been done extensively and downscaling is IDENTICAL on the P3A and P3P. Stop trying to make yourself feel better for wasting an extra few hundred dollars and do the right thing and encourage people to rather spend an extra couple hundred on batteries or something that will actually matter. I've had both the P3P and P3A and I can attest to the lack of difference.
I have both and can't agree with what your saying.

Watching youtubevideos of 4k footage (in 1080p mode) it looks way better than native 1080p videos. I watch on a 75 inch 1080p tv so i se alot of difference between 4k downscaled and native 1080p

IMO the p3p is worth it if you want pro quality

Too many people get caught up in this 4k nonsense. My Canon 6D, and Canon XA30 absolutely blow most "4k" cameras out of the water. Now that being said, the difference between the 2.7k and the 4k on the quadcopters is very noticeable. I advise everyone with the money to get the Pro, no sense not getting what you really want.

under the right circumstances eaven a galaxy note 4 or s5 (crappy 4k camera) compleatley eats up the dlsr´s in picture qualiyt. chech youtube for comparisons.
dslrs are generally pretty soft.

Exactly. No appreciable difference? Hmm...I like to smoke some of that too.

Also, down-scaling aside, how about just simply watching the raw 4K? Forget the big screen TV where due to the size making it more obvious, even on the 14" 4K screen on my laptop, the side by side comparison between 4K/1080P is just simply "no comparison".

Watching youtubevideos of 4k footage (in 1080p mode) it looks way better than native 1080p videos. I watch on a 75 inch 1080p tv so i se alot of difference between 4k downscaled and native 1080p

IMO the p3p is worth it if you want pro quality

I have pulled the trigger and bought the pro, it should be here on Wednesday [emoji12]. Next thing to do is hope the weather gets better [emoji849]

Reactions: henick and Jack Ley
I went with the Advanced. I have no need for 4K now. Let alone a TV or Computer that will support it.

Reactions: RayH
Smart move. You basically just got the same product for a lot less. Smile because now you can have extra batteries or something that actually matters and still have paid less than a P3P!

I went with the Advanced. I have no need for 4K now. Let alone a TV or Computer that will support it.

Smart move. You basically just got the same product for a lot less. Smile because now you can have extra batteries or something that actually matters and still have paid less than a P3P!

Thats exactly what I did. Bought an extra battery and a case. When 4K Technology become more revelant and cheaper for consumers, thats when i'll make a change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan