P3P or P3A?

as stated on reddit. less artifacts from 4k 60mps compared to 40mbs on the advanced.

"You are right. The p3p does record at max 60mbps while the advanced max out at 40. There will be a difference in quality, esp on fast moving scenes. I suggest you look on YouTube for bitrate comparison videos. "

You need the 60mbps to record 4K. I have looked at Youtube. In fact, I have uploaded videos to Youtube showing the negligible difference. DJI will verify this if you ask them. There is virtually no difference between the P3P and P3A, as someone who has used both can attest.

I don't plan to fill IMAX theaters with my videos. Can I still save the money and get the P3A and you guys not argue? If I have to spend a few hundred extra just to get you to get along I will, but I won't like it. :D

Reactions: Sean Poole
Nonsense. 1080P is 1080P.
I dont know how big of a difference there is between the advanced and pro. But that statement is definitely not true. You can have "1080p" compressed a ton that will definitely not look at good as uncompressed 1080p.

I don't plan to fill IMAX theaters with my videos. Can I still save the money and get the P3A and you guys not argue? If I have to spend a few hundred extra just to get you to get along I will, but I won't like it. :D
Unless you know that you need 4K video, the Advanced will be fine.
If you don't know if you need 4k ... the answer is, you don't.
The Advanced is a great product at a giveaway price.
It shoots great 1080p video that is perfect for probably 95% of users needs and also shoots 2.7K video if anyone thinks they need more.
Being able to shoot 4K video is mostly just something to make pixel peepers happy.
There are some that just can't be happy unless they feel they have the "best" and for them, if it has a bigger number it must be better.

Comparison 1

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(although slightly more noise the detail in 4k is enourmous improvement over 2.7k) This also looks better and you get the full 60mbps in 4k vs 40mbps in 2.7k
(zoom in and watch inside the windows, or the leaves) the increase in 4k resolution is amazing really!

Comparison 2

This is 4k 60mbps vs just 1080 and eaven tho im only looking at this on a 1080p screen the difference is BIG

Comparison 3

Eaven on a 1080p monitor, cheking the 1080p version of the video you clearly see a difference (a slight blur on the 2.7k version of hero 4 silver vs 4k version of hero 4 silver) (look at the bricks in the garden).
Gopro hero 4 silver has slight less bitrate than p3p but its a similar camera sensor.

This means 1. we see a better picture with the p3p compared to p3a

this also means (and is common knowlage) that filming in 4k downscaling to 1080p or whatever, gives a great image enhancing effect than filming in 2.7k or 1080p to start with. The pros use the p3p rather than p3a

It looks like these video links aren't providing the same quality as going direct to YouTube to view them.
I have seen these comparisons on YouTube and the quality is a lot better than this.

Quality is also lost using any form of compression and YouTube is awful for uploading video to. The only way to see the best quality comparison is to burn this footage to a blu ray disk straight from the editing software or watch it direct on a 1080p or 4K screen.
The 4K video is recorded at 60mbs which is well below the 4K standard for recording of around 100mbs so in effect the 4K is only 4K by name and not quality.
Let's face it though for the money you get an awesome flying video recorder, a decent consumer 4k hand held camcorder will set you back £1000.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You need the 60mbps to record 4K. I have looked at Youtube. In fact, I have uploaded videos to Youtube showing the negligible difference. DJI will verify this if you ask them. There is virtually no difference between the P3P and P3A, as someone who has used both can attest.
Sorry but I've owed both and there is clearly a difference between p3p and p3a.

Sorry but I've owed both and there is clearly a difference between p3p and p3a.
Hi,
I'm looking to get one or the other for small personal video making but I'm trying to find justification of the extra £400 for the pro in the UK.
I have the new iMac which is fully loaded for my photo and video editing and it can easily handle 4K but as you have had both is there a big difference in video quality between the 2.7k and 4K of these quads?
As I have said up there^ in the last post the 4K is only recorded at 60mbs instead of 100mbs which other better quality cameras use.

I know about the faster charger and higher bandwidth for first person video.
I Just need to know if spending £400 extra is worth it.

What do you think?

Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

First of all, editing the 4k video is very simple. It DOES NOT require a beast computer. If you're going to spend that amount of money on a quadcopter, go big or go home. You'll be left wishing you had more. P3P, get it and don't look back!

First of all, editing the 4k video is very simple. It DOES NOT require a beast computer. If you're going to spend that amount of money on a quadcopter, go big or go home. You'll be left wishing you had more. P3P, get it and don't look back!
So are you saying the 4K quality is far superior to the 2.7k of the Advanced?
I would say colour grading etc of 4K does require a beast of a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Too many people get caught up in this 4k nonsense. My Canon 6D, and Canon XA30 absolutely blow most "4k" cameras out of the water. Now that being said, the difference between the 2.7k and the 4k on the quadcopters is very noticeable. I advise everyone with the money to get the Pro, no sense not getting what you really want.

Too many people get caught up in this 4k nonsense. My Canon 6D, and Canon XA30 absolutely blow most "4k" cameras out of the water. Now that being said, the difference between the 2.7k and the 4k on the quadcopters is very noticeable. I advise everyone with the money to get the Pro, no sense not getting what you really want.
That's what worries me, the likes of the 6D etc are amazing for 4K but I'm just not sure about the quality of the 4K on the pro without seeing a raw clip.

So are you saying the 4K quality is far superior to the 2.7k of the Advanced?
I would say colour grading etc of 4K does require a beast of a computer.

Most people buying a phantom already have a moderate computer. Of course color grading, video editing is much smoother on a newer faster computer. But if you just want to get a video out, you can make an entire video within the DJIGO app. And yes, the Pro vs. Advanced quality is noticeable. I'm pretty sure there are tests on youtube showing this.

That's what worries me, the likes of the 6D etc are amazing for 4K but I'm just not sure about the quality of the 4K on the pro without seeing a raw clip.

The 4k on my Pro can be stunning in some moments, but you have to nail the settings. Video cameras are far superior to the little pro/advanced camera.

The 4k on my Pro can be stunning in some moments, but you have to nail the settings. Video cameras are far superior to the little pro/advanced camera.
Thanks [emoji106]
I'm a photographer but I want to create small movies like this one but I don't want to make a bad decision by spending £400 extra on negligible video quality.

If you're more about the flying experience than video captured then P3A is for you. if that's not the case, spend a little more for the P3P for the 4K videos, even if you're not a "pro". Without any editing, I can pull the SD from my P3P, and play it for the family on the 60" 4K TV and it looks amazing (over 1080P). With prices coming down on these 4Ks I am suspecting more and more will have these in their living room. Why would you want to still shoot and play 1080P videos? :)

But on a serious note, it's all about your intention. For me, 4K is here, and even if I didn't fully take advantage of it at this moment, I am set for when I do/future.

Side note, Mircrocenter has them for 999.99. I just check prices this morning:
Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Thank you for choosing Micro Center (Micro Center).
SKU#828129
Phantom 3 Professional Quadcopter with 4K Camera and 3-Axis Gimbal
$999.00

Side note, Mircrocenter has them for 999.99. I just check prices this morning
That's a great deal. It's for in store pickup only though (FYI). For anyone that cannot pickup, you can get one on Amazon for as little as $1,100. That price often fluctuates daily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan