P3A Range Issue

Reaction score
I have read post from others about this who seem to have figured out what their issues were. However, I cannot seem to figure out what is going wrong for me. I got a P3S for Christmas and after a week I sent it back for the P3A because I wanted more range. However, since I have had my Phantom 3 Advanced my range is usually less than 2000 feet. I have done what everyone says about positioning the antennas correctly and I have also purchased a windsurfer range extender that did not seem to help either. This is extremely frustrating and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If the Windsurfer didn't help, my guess is you are flying in an area of high interference. To get really long ranges you also need clean line of sight. Any tree or building in the way will seriously cut the range.

When I fly in town I get around 2000 feet thanks to all the WiFi routers in peoples houses. When I fly out in the desert miles from anyone I can get 3 miles.

Thanks for the reply. So if I am flying it in a downtown area (mostly commercial), the wifi routers will seriously cause that much interference? I have seen videos of a P3 in New York fly over the river and take video of the city and not have range issues. Mine would probably have dropped about halfway across the water. Also, I took it to my dad's where he owns over 600 acres of fields and wooded area. I was in the middle of a field and I think the most I got was around 3500 ft.

Thanks for the reply. So if I am flying it in a downtown area (mostly commercial), the wifi routers will seriously cause that much interference? I have seen videos of a P3 in New York fly over the river and take video of the city and not have range issues. Mine would probably have dropped about halfway across the water. Also, I took it to my dad's where he owns over 600 acres of fields and wooded area. I was in the middle of a field and I think the most I got was around 3500 ft.
3500 ft in a wooded area is good performance. If you want to go the distance, fly over water.

Have you tried disabling the wifi of your mobile device or tablet while flying to see if it might be causing interference? I have never had any issue with my tablets wifi causing interference but might be worth a shot to try.

3500 ft in a wooded area is good performance. If you want to go the distance, fly over water.
Yes. Open desert is next best. Clean line of sight is SO important. Trees eat radio signals for lunch and WiFi routers are blasting out competing signals that to the P3 is just noise. And when that noise is right below the P3 while your transmitter is a mile away you can't compete.

Have you tried disabling the wifi of your mobile device or tablet while flying to see if it might be causing interference? I have never had any issue with my tablets wifi causing interference but might be worth a shot to try.
I have actually tried that (by mistake). Last week when I was flying I had the wifi off and had the iPad in airplane mode by mistake. I later thought that may have caused me problems but then when I flew today I realized it did not change.

Ok, so I understand that if I am in trees, or under trees that the trees can affect the range considerably. But, what if I am in an area approximately the size of 1-2 football fields, with trees on all sides. With enough altitude, in my opinion, the trees should not be a problem. Am I completely wrong in this?

Being in a clearing surrounded by trees won't matter when you fly away. Your altitude is most important for maintaining a clear LOS. If you are out 3,000+ ft. Your P3 will become lower on the horizon and most likely behind the trees.

Reactions: mikecorn1
I periodically turn my phantom around and look back at my take off point to see if I still have line of sight. If I still have a clear line to where I took off from, I can keep going. Trees kill signal right away.

yeah i agree with all above about trees,
from my back yard i get about 3000 feet because im in a little valley surrounded by trees .out away from my village flying across open fields ive had 11500 feet still with full signals so would have gone a lot further easily .i only turned round because it was windy.
only mod is a windsurfer
this is in UK so thats with the low power CE mode too.....god i wish we had FCC....

Try the 32 channel hack. Pick a clear channel, without traffic on either side of it from the list, and try again. WiFi routers have 11 channels to choose from. With 32 available to you, there will most likely be a clear range to use.

SD

I will try the 32 channel hack. That was actually on my "to-do" list for today. Thanks guys.

Try this: DJI Forum|[DJI GO Tutorial] Video Downlink Settings
And pay special attention to the section regarding channels.

I was getting kind of crappy distance, too. But I now found an isolated spot and was able to fly well over 2 1/2 miles without loss of control. FPV sort of waned on and off, but for the most part, I had 4 out of 5 bars for the image, and 5 bars for the control. I was using windsurfers, BTW.

Try the 32 channel hack. Pick a clear channel, without traffic on either side of it from the list, and try again. WiFi routers have 11 channels to choose from. With 32 available to you, there will most likely be a clear range to use.

SD
Where do you find this 32 channel hack instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl