P3A Auto Landing

J&L

Reaction score
Just got to fly my new adanced yesterday. I was comparing the auto landing to my standard and it seems to land harder. My standard seems to hover 2" above the ground and settle down. The advanced kinda just came down and just dropped 3-4 inches. Was kinda scary for a second. I calibrated everything and it flew normal. Has anyone experienced rougher landing with the advanced?

Did you disable VPS? If not, try that.

No it was not disabled.

It does not work well outdoors. It would be best to disable it in order to prevent any more surprises like this from popping up ;)

Reactions: J&L
Thank you. So I should totally disable it unless I'm using inside. I have a 24'x48'x10' enclosed deck

I would recommend keeping it turned off. There are lots of reports of incidents it has contributed too. And, very few cases where people reported it as being useful.

Just got to fly my new adanced yesterday. I was comparing the auto landing to my standard and it seems to land harder. My standard seems to hover 2" above the ground and settle down. The advanced kinda just came down and just dropped 3-4 inches. Was kinda scary for a second. I calibrated everything and it flew normal. Has anyone experienced rougher landing with the advanced?
The P3A and the P3P have both been reported numerous times to auto-land harder than does the P3S. This reason why is not really known as far as I know. Most posts in each thread on the topic simply tell you to hand catch, or manually land, or turn off VPS, etc. That's fine of course, but the fact remains that the P3S autolands softer than the other models so you probably should not expect your P3A to match it.

Here are a couple of recent threads:
NEW P3 Pro Hard Auto Landings Compared to Standard P3. How to adjust? | DJI Phantom Forum

P3A lands harder than P3S | DJI Phantom Forum

Phantom 3 Advanced RTH landing vs Standard | DJI Phantom Forum

P3P is landing hard | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Me neither. 99% hand catch. Did a nice manual landing the other day as there was not a leaf stirring.

I landed the very first time. Landed the second time. Let it land on its own once. Hand catch the rest save a couple of landings with 0 wind. When you are comfortable hand catch it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I never plan on flying indoors should I turn off my VPS? I have only flown a few times and have always done take offs and landings manually. I just go nice and easy. Once I get about 10 inches from the ground on landings I just bring it right down. I don't like to hover so close to the ground. I have found the landing is just as fun as flying the bird

I keep VPS on all the time....I can tell when it takes over before I manually land and the hover is way more stable. I think it is useful for manual landings. I have never tried autolanding it...

You can try it yourself this way, put it in a hover and fly up to 15 feet or so, the VPS box on the right should show a person meaning VPS is not used. Now fly down to like 5 feet and make sure the VPS is on but do not fly so low you are in ground effect. For me it is very stable in both but noticeably more stable with VPS...

Maybe I will just leave it on. Why fix something that isn't broken. LOL I can see your point. My lands have been real smooth and soft on touchdowns

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl