NEW P3 Pro Hard Auto Landings Compared to Standard P3. How to adjust?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I received my new P3 Pro from DJI on Friday. After charging everything up, updating firmwares last night, I was finally able to put the bird in the sky today. I upgraded from the P3 Standard. I always as a safety precaution when I get about 10-15 feet off the ground, select Auto Land. My standard P3 would always land soft as cotton. It would descend and then just before touch down, it would adjust and buffer making for a perfectly soft landing. My new P3 Pro does NOT do this. On auto landing, it comes down so hard, it nearly tips itself over twice today. Does this have anything to do with the P3 Pro's Visual Positioning? Could something be defective with this system or not calibrated correctly? Is there a way for me to adjust this auto landing feature so it will land as soft and smooth as my previous P3 Standard?

Thanks.

Reactions: Dronut2
Hey guys. I received my new P3 Pro from DJI on Friday. After charging everything up, updating firmwares last night, I was finally able to put the bird in the sky today. I upgraded from the P3 Standard. I always as a safety precaution when I get about 10-15 feet off the ground, select Auto Land. My standard P3 would always land soft as cotton. It would descend and then just before touch down, it would adjust and buffer making for a perfectly soft landing. My new P3 Pro does NOT do this. On auto landing, it comes down so hard, it nearly tips itself over twice today. Does this have anything to do with the P3 Pro's Visual Positioning? Could something be defective with this system or not calibrated correctly? Is there a way for me to adjust this auto landing feature so it will land as soft and smooth as my previous P3 Standard?

Thanks.

I posted this in another thread. Don't have an answer why it lands harder, I usually go manual.

I totally agree, I had a P3S for a couple weeks and traded up for a P3A.

The standard would land so soft, better than I could manually.

The P3A hits pretty hard so I usually go manual. I tried it with the VPS off and it was even worse.

The P3A has it beat in all other aspect however.

Reactions: Dronut2
There is no way to adjust the auto landing. You could enable/disable VPS to see if it makes a difference. But, it would be best to learn how to land manually. You'll be able to land safer/softer than the computer.

Reactions: Jase1125
I have never auto landed [nor take off]. Going up and coming down are maneuvers I prefer to be in total control over. No auto land can finesse the bird to soft landing better than me, even in blustery windy conditions. Work on being able to do it.

I posted this in another thread. Don't have an answer why it lands harder, I usually go manual.

I totally agree, I had a P3S for a couple weeks and traded up for a P3A.

The standard would land so soft, better than I could manually.

The P3A hits pretty hard so I usually go manual. I tried it with the VPS off and it was even worse.

The P3A has it beat in all other aspect however.
Landing practice -- make it part of the routine--- softly and accurately-- or hand catch.

I'm a brand new at this an I took my P3P for its first and second flights this weekend. I did manual takeoff and landing both times, it was unbelievably easy. I just slowly lowered it and when got within an inch of the ground I just pulled and held the left stick all the way down shutting down the motors. This gave me a perfect soft landing. For some reason, I just felt more comfortable controlling it myself than trusting the auto features ....

Reactions: aenbacka and CCDD
When I occasionally use the RTH feature, I'll leave it in the full "automatic mode" until it's 50 feet or so from landing at which time I cancel the function and bring it down to the ground manually for a nice soft landing.

My standard P3 would always land soft as cotton. It would descend and then just before touch down, it would adjust and buffer making for a perfectly soft landing. My new P3 Pro does NOT do this. On auto landing, it comes down so hard, it nearly tips itself over twice today. Does this have anything to do with the P3 Pro's Visual Positioning? Could something be defective with this system or not calibrated correctly? Is there a way for me to adjust this auto landing feature so it will land as soft and smooth as my previous P3 Standard?
I think that every time I have seen this question come up, the thread invariably becomes a bunch of posts saying to "hand catch" or "land manually it's easy." I don't think I have ever seen the actual question discussed about why the P3S auto lands much softer, or why the P3P/P3A does not auto land as softly as it did on earlier firmware.

Maybe it's just that a large majority of people never use auto land so there's not much interest in discussing it. Even if that's true, I'm sure there are many who do auto land and there are bound to be many more who will try it on or after December 25.

I remember back in May when I first got my P3 that the auto landings were remarkable. Very smooth and so impressive. I used to love demonstrating it to people. Now after several FW updates it auto lands too hard, so I no longer demonstrate or use the auto land. I now consider it an emergency feature only.

Why do you guys think that this would have changed over time? Do you guys see the same behavior? Why does the P3S remain so much better in comparison?

Last edited:
Reactions: sinxa
There is no way to adjust the auto landing. You could enable/disable VPS to see if it makes a difference. But, it would be best to learn how to land manually. You'll be able to land safer/softer than the computer.
Ditto, turn vps off and land manually, it is extremely easy.

DJI needs to speed up the speed on RTH and slow the speed on autolanding

DJI needs to speed up the speed on RTH and slow the speed on autolanding
The max speed is probably pretty will determined by the prop rpm and the maximum tilt of the quad copter.
A tail wind is the best speed increaser. That speed in no wind is probably already maxed out-- these platforms were not designed for speed.

I'm a brand new at this an I took my P3P for its first and second flights this weekend. I did manual takeoff and landing both times, it was unbelievably easy. I just slowly lowered it and when got within an inch of the ground I just pulled and held the left stick all the way down shutting down the motors. This gave me a perfect soft landing. For some reason, I just felt more comfortable controlling it myself than trusting the auto features ....

do you have any experience of P3s autolanding??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl