P3 Advanced with a 4k Camera

Just make sure you use a gimbal/camera from a P3P NOT a P34k. You need the Lightbridge setup.

The video processing is all in the camera/gimbal assy. I talked to DJI once about swapping a camera from a P34K into my P3A to make it into a P3P and they said it won't work since the P3P has a different camera than the P34K. The P3A and P3P are the same bird with different camera, the other ones (P3S and P34K) are different as well. In the end it was easier for me to just sell my P3A and buy another used P3P. I sold off an extra backpack and kept the extra battery and accessories that came with my P3P to offset my losses.

Schermata 2016-04-04 alle 23.16.12.png
DJI Phantom 3 4K Quadcopter
cam P3P p3 4k [attach = completa] 49502 [/ attach]

Attachments

• Schermata 2016-04-04 alle 23.16.12.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 402
Lightbridge the module is in the cam? I thought it was the drone
Lightbridge module is in P3 behind VPS module. P3P has a different image processing board mounted on gimbal.

Exactly. The camera quality is the same (4K) BUT it is made to transmit at 5.8ghz like the P3S. The "Lightbridge" technology is only on the P3A and P3P and uses 2.4ghz for a range of 5km or 3.1 miles. 1km = about .62 miles. Of course this can also be boosted and improved but the technologies don't match. I specifically asked a DJI rep about using a P34K Camera on my P3A and they said it was not the same part as the camera for the P3P. If it was I planned to find/buy a cheap P34K and swap cameras with my P3A, then sell it back off as a "2.7K P3S". Easiest thing to do is sell your P3A and buy a P3P unless you can find a cheap P3P camera (good luck) then you can sell off your 2.7K camera or keep it as backup. The problem is that people usually seperate the drone from camera when the drones crashes and ruins the camera. You CAN use the gimbal mother board BUT they often get damaged in the crashes too since the gimbal arm smacks into the board. To me that was like finding the one Ferrari that got rear ended for going to slow so I could buy the front fenders and hood. Everyone knows the front parts of a fast car are the rare parts. Likewise the camera of a Phantom is the first thing to go.

Last edited:
Cheapest way to convert P3A to P3P would be to get hold of damaged P3P gimbal. Take its card and fan out, replace on your P3A gimbal and update to P3P FW and enjoy.

If still not happy, change silver stickers to gold, apply golden nail polish to badge and erase HD print from cam and paste a transparent sticker with 4K written on it.

Reactions: JonEQuest
I already have a p3 4k cam, how can I update
If you have P3P 4k Cam/Gimbal and want to replace on P3A, it so simple: take out the P3A gimbal and attache the new one. Once you start check if Fan is working. Later on update the FW to P3P.All is done.

Cheapest way to convert P3A to P3P would be to get hold of damaged P3P gimbal. Take its card and fan out, replace on your P3A gimbal and update to P3P FW and enjoy.

If still not happy, change silver stickers to gold, apply golden nail polish to badge and erase HD print from cam and paste a transparent sticker with 4K written on it.
LOL, Funny!

If you have P3P 4k Cam/Gimbal and want to replace on P3A, it so simple: take out the P3A gimbal and attache the new one. Once you start check if Fan is working. Later on update the FW to P3P.All is done.
I think he is saying he has a P34K camera/gimbal, NOT a P3P 4K camera/gimbal.

I think he is saying he has a P34K camera/gimbal, NOT a P3P 4K camera/gimbal.
If thats the case then I have no solution right now as I didn't buy P3 4K. I don't have more info on that WiFi bird.

Can you please supply specifics?
Did you do it yourself or send it out?

Costs?

Thanks
I did it myself. I bought a new 4K Gimbal/ Cam from DJI for $389 and sold my old for $200. Replacing new one took just 5 minutes. So easy to do it.

$389 was a steal. I would have done that too. I figured they were in the high $500 range so I just sold my P3A to buy a P3P package from someone upgrading to a P4. Between ebay fees and other costs it was about a $300 expense. I did get lucky with an extra battery I could keep and extra backpack I sold. But for that cost and way less hassle that is not a bad deal.

How does the lightbridge on the P3a cope after upgrading the camera to the pros camera? I know the p3a is 2mbs and the pro is 10mbs. Does this effect the reliability of the advanced... Just curious!

Pretty cool you can just change the camera and have a pro!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You just need to upgrade the firmware. Then the bird knows it is now a P3P. Easy as 3.14. Alokbhargava did that.

i need a quick advice:

I have crashed my bird by using smart modes :( I need new gimbal - i do not use 4k at all. Just wondering if i put P3 Advance camera to my P3P bird - will it work?
Will i be able to update FW in the future etc?

Or maybe stay on the safe side and go for a P3P camera as now it is cheaper and costs ~400eur

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor