P3 Advanced with a 4k Camera

i need a quick advice:

I have crashed my bird by using smart modes :( I need new gimbal - i do not use 4k at all. Just wondering if i put P3 Advance camera to my P3P bird - will it work?
Will i be able to update FW in the future etc?

Or maybe stay on the safe side and go for a P3P camera as now it is cheaper and costs ~400eur
From what I have read, yes you could swap to a P3A camera and update your FW and all would be fine. You might want to check prices on the P3P camera though. A quick look on ebay showed many P3P cameras for ~$350 US.

Either one should work, and you just load the appropriate firmware for your camera on the bird. If you went with a P3P camera you would not need to do anything, if P3A, then just do a firmware load and it will automatically do the right one after sensing what kind of camera/gimbal you have.

Thank You mates.

I saw those cheap cameras, but they are form US,if i am not mistaken. I would have to pay about 30% of taxes to import those to my country ;/

For those that have upgraded a P3A to the P3P camera...

If I'm reading right, I first install the P3P camera, put the P3P firmware on the SD card, and then boot up the P3 (the existing P3A firmware will at least boot to the point of doing the firmware update, right?). It will then detect the new camera and update using the P3P firmware from the SD card.

Is all of that correct, or do I need to do something to prepare the P3A to update to the P3P firmware before installing or booting with the P3P camera?

Once the P3 is updated to the P3P firmware, do I need to do anything to the RC or DJI Go app to be good to fly?

Many thanks.

Nope that should be it. The Phantom firmware is one file that works with all versions. The drone automatically knows which one to use based on hardware checks and installs it. This is done in many industrial applications as well to prevent wrong firmware installation and to have one easy "latest file" to distribute.

I can confirm that the phantom 4k camera does not work with the advance or pro.
I plugged the camera in, the phantom 3 advanced was recognized as a pro however, the camera did not work and the wires to is started to heat up and melt. :(

That is because the 4K does not have lightbridge built into it. I never would have thought it would melt though. sounds like a direct short.

Yep I can confirm it too, I did the same as JaredReabow and nothing, I think on updating firmware but I read that if I do so and then in the future try to get back to my advanced firmware I won´t be able to do it. At least thats what dji support said to me

Well it's going to be interesting to say the least. I have pondered the question of changing from the 2.7k camera up to the 4k Pro version. DJI told me that it's just a swap out and I hope that is correct as my 4k is to arrive tomorrow via FedEx. After a slight crash, the gimbal on the 2.7k got a case of the jitters, so it was time to change cameras anyway. So hope I get the big jump in resolution.

DJI told me that it's just a swap out and I hope that is correct as my 4k is to arrive tomorrow via FedEx.
Yes, that's correct. Don't forget to use the P3P firmware when updating your firmware next time.

It is a an easy swap. Hardware should take about 5 minutes or less. Then just update the firmware and you have a P3P. I sold my P3A and bought a P3P for the higher bitrate for FPV flying more than the 4k video. I honestly can't tell the difference but due to shipping delays I had about 2 weeks between flying my P3A and my P3P so side by side I MAY have seen a slight difference. I also learned almost NOTHING I own can play 4k video correctly so I just record in 2.7k anyway. There really is a lot more processing power in the 4K camera so there has to be some benefits, even filming at 2.7k.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
There is no need to use the p3p firmware when upgrading, both firmware's are identical, they just "make two" to stop stupid people having a tantrum.
I have changed 4 P3A to P3P by upgrading the camera and you literally just swap the camera and nothing else!
you can take it a step further and just swap the logic board as that is the difference, the actual gimble itself is identical on all phantom 3's just the logic board and sticker is different.

Well it's going to be interesting to say the least. I have pondered the question of changing from the 2.7k camera up to the 4k Pro version. DJI told me that it's just a swap out and I hope that is correct as my 4k is to arrive tomorrow via FedEx. After a slight crash, the gimbal on the 2.7k got a case of the jitters, so it was time to change cameras anyway. So hope I get the big jump in resolution.
Hi i have same problem did it work out ok for you please sir
For those that have upgraded a P3A to the P3P camera...

If I'm reading right, I first install the P3P camera, put the P3P firmware on the SD card, and then boot up the P3 (the existing P3A firmware will at least boot to the point of doing the firmware update, right?). It will then detect the new camera and update using the P3P firmware from the SD card.

Is all of that correct, or do I need to do something to prepare the P3A to update to the P3P firmware before installing or booting with the P3P camera?

Once the P3 is updated to the P3P firmware, do I need to do anything to the RC or DJI Go app to be good to fly?

Many thanks.

Hi i have same problem did it work out ok for you please sir

Yep, it worked exactly as I described...

Install the new camera. Put the P3P firmware on the SD card. Boot up the P3, and it will update with the new firmware and then act just like a P3P (which it now is). I don't recall having to do anything else (I did this a year ago, it's been flying fine as a P3P since).

Cheers,
Paul

i crashed my ps advanced and bought a crashed pro for parts with a good gimbal and camera in it. so i will be trying the pro camera on a advanced and let you know. i dont see why it wont work, but its dji!!!!

i crashed my ps advanced and bought a crashed pro for parts with a good gimbal and camera in it. so i will be trying the pro camera on a advanced and let you know. i dont see why it wont work, but its dji!!!!

As I said above, it will work. A P3P and P3A are identical except for the gimbal/camera assembly and the badge on the front. Just update the firmware. A lot of people have upgraded in this way. I did mine without any issue whatsoever. Go for it and enjoy 4K video and increased video bandwidth back to your controller!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers