P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

EspenA said:
Hi all.

A bit funny the way it took off though and not working itself all the way to WP1, but halfway there before heading to WP 2 and then completely to WP 1 after that. Need to test more though. The video feed was smooth and perfect all the way too :)

Well done. Another happy P2V+ with full GS owner :)

BTW, did you set the turns to be adaptive turns. If so then it will start to turn toward the next waypoint before reaching the current one. basically, using adaptive turns it cuts the corners and on short 30-40m distances it would look quite strange and as though it was missing the way points I guess. I did 2 1.5km runs last night. My heart was in my mouth the whole way. FPV screen showed Connection Lost a couple of times but generally was superb with FPV all the way. If I get round to it I'll upload the flight video later.

Neil

What's the consensus for running the antennas on the data link? One lead down the leg with the existing antenna or down the leg with the compass?

I currently have everything installed I'm just wondering if anyone found issues or advantages one way or the other. I'm wondering if the data link antenna can interfere with the existing antenna having them on the same leg (that's my current install) or if the antenna near the compass could screw with the compass readings. I have the other antenna lead inside the hull as others have done.

Well did more testing tonight and got my first signs of trouble in paradise. I could have had the same problems yesterday, but not sure I looked closely enough.
My problem is what I was afraid of and that is a 2,4Ghz problem. The problem for me at least is that when using video together with the data link is that the signal between the ground station and the air end gets "disturbed" by the 2,4Ghz video system. I noticed that tonight when I was not more than 40-50 meters away and 20-30 meters up, the signal from the air end was gone (the bar in the ground station screen went all the way down). When my P2V+ came closer again I got some signal back. I adjusted the antenna on the ground unit and moved it more out in the open, but it didn't help.

As soon as I turned the 2,4 Ghz range extender on the radio off, the signal from the air unit came back and was strong. Tried it a couple of more times with the range extender and my phone connected for video, and the same thing happened. The data link signal went down and was lost. So the 2,4Ghz video part seems to "win" between them since my video feed was fine all the time.

I think my air antenna position is the same as yours wattsn (attached pictures below), not sure about the antenna part that runs in to the body if that part goes inward to the center of the body or out on the arm though.

What do you think wattsn, have you noticed the same thing? Not sure how to address this to be honest :?:

o03403.jpg

347z9cx.jpg

20955c5.jpg

Rgds,

EspenA

I would be willing to purchase the 900Mhz version and ship it to whoever of you has the most experience, so that you can test and confirm it works okay. I am planning to purchase it but am to overloaded with work now to be involved in the testing.

Just checking with you that you moved your P2V+ to the highest channel so that you have the most separation between them.

PhantomRock said:
I would be willing to purchase the 900Mhz version and ship it to whoever of you has the most experience, so that you can test and confirm it works okay. I am planning to purchase it but am to overloaded with work now to be involved in the testing.

That's certainly the best option going 900mhz. More power and a different frequency away from the video and control links. I didn't buy it because I wanted to be cheaper. Of course my decision can turn into an even more expensive mistake if it causes a crash :(

From what I've read in the past the 900Mhz solution should work for you. I don't think you need anyone testing it out, it would probably just make them want to buy one.

PhantomRock said:
What's the best place to buy this ?
Thanks.

Larger companies like B&H Photo or Amazon are good choices if they carry it. Simply because returns are a non-hassle.

I've bought from helidirect.com and uavdirect.com. Quick shipping at a reasonable price, but also never needed to deal with customer service so can't comment on that. I know some folks like 1uas.com but I've never dealt with them. I'm sure there are others that folks will chime in on.

One thing I was thinking of with the 900mhz unit is the install. Since it looks a bit larger and it has a standard antenna (other than wire) it may be a bit more tricky to place.

I don't see B&H and Amazon carrying this directly. Elsewhere seems like $200-250 for the 2.4Ghz version and $520 for the 900 Mhz version.

PhantomRock said:
I don't see B&H and Amazon carrying this directly. Elsewhere seems like $200-250 for the 2.4Ghz version and $520 for the 900 Mhz version.

That's the only reason I didn't buy the 900Mhz kit. It's more than twice as much as the 2.4ghz kit.

I should also add that I'm not sure if it comes with a Bluetooth adapter like the 2.4ghz kits. Not a need for me since I'm not currently using an iPad anymore but could be an added expense if needed.

PhantomRock said:
Just checking with you that you moved your P2V+ to the highest channel so that you have the most separation between them.

Hello PhantomRock.

A really good question, no I have not done anything with the channels on my P2V+ or the DataLink. Can you do that (if this tread says something about it; i have missed it sry,)? And how do you do it? Do you only do it on the P2V+ or both P2V+ and DataLink?

Edit: Found this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17608
I guess that is what U are referring to here, and change the channel there? Wonder if you can do the same thing on the DataLink ground unit at set that to opposite channel range?

Edit: Read through the post a bit more and saw this : i changed the channel to 11 but it the extender would no longer connect to the phantom. The phantom and extender both appeared to be on channel 11 so im a bit perplexed. when i tried to rebind with the vision app it said "fail to get repeater info" Just gave up at that point. Anyone else have this problem? So not sure it's possible to change the channel and still have connection/binding. If there is, please advice.

Thx.

EspenA.

You shouldn't have change your wifi channels. Check the transmission cables that they are 90 degrees from each other and also not near the gimbal.

walksm8 said:
You shouldn't have change your wifi channels. Check the transmission cables that they are 90 degrees from each other and also not near the gimbal.

My setup is at least very close to wattsn, I can play around with the placement of them a bit more, but think the gaining might be minimal doing that.

EspenA.

I'm perfectly happy with mine the way it is and did a couple of flights on Sunday where she went about 800-1000m out and all was fine.

BTW EspenA, looks like you have fitted your top shell back 90 degrees incorrectly. In the images you posted on previous page the top and bottom red stickers are not lined up. Won't have any effect on the wireless range but may not sit quite correctly.

Hehe, you are quite correct wattsn. Did not notice that myself. Correct that tonight.

Anyways any suggestions about the issues I have? This is something you don't have an issue with at all? Have you done something with the channels on the 2,4Ghz video system? Normally my DataLink ground station is close to my P2v+ radio with the range extender. Not sure if that has something to do about it? Anyways the range of the Bluetooth btu device is short so I have to have my iPAD close to that. Do you think replacing the DataLink air unit antennas can do the trick? My antennas goes down one leg (with the compass on as yours do) and the other goes up in to the body and inwards to the centre.

Any ideas and advice is appreciated.

EspenA

EspenA said:
Hehe, you are quite correct wattsn. Did not notice that myself. Correct that tonight.

Anyways any suggestions about the issues I have? This is something you don't have an issue with at all? Have you done something with the channels on the 2,4Ghz video system? Normally my DataLink ground station is close to my P2v+ radio with the range extender. Not sure if that has something to do about it? Anyways the range of the Bluetooth btu device is short so I have to have my iPAD close to that. Do you think replacing the DataLink air unit antennas can do the trick? My antennas goes down one leg (with the compass on as yours do) and the other goes up in to the body and inwards to the centre.

Any ideas and advice is appreciated.

EspenA

I would try routing the antenna in the hull so that it goes down the arm, away from the center.

I hope this gets resolved with placement,etc. You guys know much more about this than me, so I will stay on the side.
You can confirm what channel is used by GS with any free wifi monitoring app.
I know the extender is fixed at channel 1, and does not change channels even if there are many phantoms flying together.
Regardless, I thought it is a good idea to move the repeater off channel 1 if you have another transmitter in such close proximity they should be on different channels.

PhantomRock said:
I hope this gets resolved with placement,etc. You guys know much more about this than me, so I will stay on the side.
You can confirm what channel is used by GS with any free wifi monitoring app.
I know the extender is fixed at channel 1, and does not change channels even if there are many phantoms flying together.
Regardless, I thought it is a good idea to move the repeater off channel 1 if you have another transmitter in such close proximity they should be on different channels.

It seems to be a problem when you set the repeater/range extender to another channel, it looses connection to the P2V+ :(

EspenA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl