P2V+, Data Link and Ground Station - WORKS!!!!!

Reaction score
Woo hoo! I took a chance and ordered the 2.4G Data Link to install in my P2V+. By simply adding a Can-bus module it allowed me to install the Air end data link to the underside of the bird next to the upper camera plate. Whilst I have not yet done a first flight it all works as have tested without blades and she starts up, lands etc all under control of the iPad GS app. I am sooooo pleased. Here's an external pic of the install. Internally it was just the grey cable with mini connector being fed up inside the case and connected to the CAN connection on the main board.

DSC_0013.jpg

Very nice. Clean install. I can't wait to read the results of your test flight. Go fly that thing! :)

Won't this be made moot once the next version of the Vision software that has the same functionality?

andrewket2 said:
Won't this be made moot once the next version of the Vision software that has the same functionality?

To a degree yes, but if you watch any of the videos showing the new GS software it is a very feature reduced version so I wanted the full features of the existing iPad version. Which I now have. Also, the new version will only operate as part of the DJI vision app so only on a small screen or pixelated large screen.

I did in the first post. It's straight forward. As there is insufficient room inside the shell to install the air end data link unit - even with the data link unit casing removed - you cannot connect the DJI can-bus cable (with modified plug) directly to the can-bus connector on the main board (and also the large grey/black Can-bus plug will not fit through the casing without cutting a large hole, which I did not want to do). Therefore I added an external can-bus module to the leg of the Phantom just below the compass. Run the included cable back through the shell (existing compass cable hole) and connect to the connector marked CAN on the main board. Then simply connect the air-end data link unit using the can-bus cable provided to the newly added can-bus module on the leg.

Then , using the ground end data link unit and BTU module simply fire it all up and open GS on the iPad and way to go.

Note: You will need to be using firmware version 3.04 on the Phantom and also update the air and ground ends of the Data Link kit prior to firing up.

So the only parts you will need are:

1x DJI Phantom V2 CAN Module (spare part No 2)
1 x DJI Wireless Data Link Module Kit

slothead said:
andrewket2 said:

Is there a rumor of the next firmware update doing this? If so, when is it expected?

Tom

Been promised for months and months. If you search Youtube you will see a video of Eric Cheng from DJI demoing this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZFnlgCV0I[/youtube]

Don't get me wrong it looks cool and will be fab when launched. They say it is imminent but have apparently been saying that for months. It will also have limited functionality hence me wanting to make this upgrade. If they launch an equivalent version then I will simply remove this mod as no physical change made to the P2V+ other than attaching Can Module and air end unit.

However, the expected app will be a part of the DJI Vision app so will be low resolution.

Well, I'll know for sure tomorrow as that will be the first opportunity I have to put it through it's paces.

Also now decided that if it all works as intended that I will cut the end off the Can-Bus cable (large grey/black connector) and solder the wires directly to the smaller cable, which will then fit directly through the shell, thus doing away with the Can-bus module on the leg and making for a neater install.

Does this module piggy-back on the 2.4gHz WiFi connection or does it create a second link? If the latter, won't the two 2.4gHz connections interfere with each other?

wattsn, may I ask where you found the external CAN-bus cable?
I look forward to seeing how this work.

Thanks!

andrewket2 said:
Does this module piggy-back on the 2.4gHz WiFi connection or does it create a second link? If the latter, won't the two 2.4gHz connections interfere with each other?

Creates it's own. Yet to be seen if it interferes but if it does it will only be the FPV that suffers, not the actual control.

DronePilot said:
wattsn, may I ask where you found the external CAN-bus cable?
I look forward to seeing how this work.

Thanks!

It's included with the Data Link kit. Alternatively you can buy just the cable as a DJI accessory. Just £2.75 in the UK.

I have a question for your guys by doing this mod I and using Ground station to control the Phantom I would effectively be using 2.4ghz for control supplemented by a 5.8ghz manual control.

Surely this would effectively get around the recent restrictions introduced for 5.8ghz for using a Phantom commercially since I could be controlling it with 2.4ghz?

Does the same ground station data link kit support both iPad and PC?

Can anyone comment on the PC s/w compared to the iPad version? I ask because I've been using a Surface Pro tablet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl