P2 for fun only....NO video wanted please

Reaction score
Does anyone just buy the P2 (non-vision) with no intensions of videoing anything. Just go out and fly and have fun?????????????????
I don't have a desire to film anything. Maybe wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the road, but not now.

Does anyone just buy the P2 to have fun flying?

OK...36 folks have viewed this post....no responses. HMMMM So, no one buys a P2 just for flying only?

So the answer is probably no.

The Phantom is specifically build for aerial filming. I had a lot of other various RC copters before, that I wanted to put a decent camera on, but was wrestling to find a way to do it and even just flying them right.

No need to struggle anymore; the Phantom can do the trick out of the box. Sure it cost more that the other toys I had, but considering what I have spent along the road.

The Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal, good FPV system and antenna start to look like it could make decent shots. My old Phantom 1 is great for some more extreme flying, but if that was my main objective I would have bought something quite different than a DJI Phantom.

Maher

I don't really have much RC flying experience, just a P1 and a P2. I must say the Phantom 2 flies like a dream, even loaded with camera, FPV, and iOSD mini.

I see no reason not to get a Phantom 2 just for non-video flying. It's well balanced, flies accurately and responsively, and appears to have well supported firmware and software with occasional updates. The spin-on props are easy to install and remove, making the Phantom easy to pack up and load into a case. Power is easily accessible on the outside of the shell to connect accessories such as an LED highlight, although no audible alarm (that I've found) available for low battery warnings. USB connections on the exterior of the shell and also the transmitter make updates and calibrations very convenient. The smart battery is exceptionally easy to plug in and also remove. GPS, ATTI and Manual flying modes are available. With I'm sure, manual providing skill challenges for those so inclined.

I'm not sure what to dislike about the Phantom 2 as a basic flying machine.

grahng said:
Does anyone just buy the P2 (non-vision) with no intensions of videoing anything. Just go out and fly and have fun?????????????????
I don't have a desire to film anything. Maybe wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the road, but not now.

Does anyone just buy the P2 to have fun flying?

OK...36 folks have viewed this post....no responses. HMMMM So, no one buys a P2 just for flying only?

YES.

That's the way I started.

Playin' with r/c since the mid-70s.
Got tired of the hassles with CP helis so I thought this would be similar in enjoyment with out the overhead of the set-up and maintenance.

The P2 is a blast to fly around the property with and without the camera.

I even let the kids (9, 11) fly it as well.

You can always add stuff in the future so go for it.

Think you guys have helped in my decision making. I've checked out most of the top quads and like the P2 the best, except for the pricey battery.
Thanks again, Jerry

grahng said:
Think you guys have helped in my decision making. I've checked out most of the top quads and like the P2 the best, except for the pricey battery.
Thanks again, Jerry
You could also go for the fc40 and just not install the camera
You will loose the telemetry however.

Get the Phantom 1.1.1, much cheaper and generic batteries. Flies great with or without a camera. If you want to do video later, get a GoPro and attach it.

The p2 has a huge battery, that provides good power for heavy add-ons like a camera and gimbal, but if you are just out flying for fun, the big battery takes away from maneuverability. It's a bit of a pig for sport flying. But it'll stay in the air for nearly 30min.

A naked p1 will weigh less, and without a camera will fly for 15 minutes, more than enough for line of sight flying around at a field.

ElGuano said:
A naked p1 will weigh less, and without a camera will fly for 15 minutes, more than enough for line of sight flying around at a field.
You can also ingrease the flight time by using P2 props and a good 2700 Mah battery such as the Maddog.

syotr said:
ElGuano said:
You can also ingrease the flight time by using P2 props and a good 2700 Mah battery such as the Maddog.

The 2700 is good but I would recommend the 8045s for sportier flying. My point re. the batteries is that oftentimes 10-15min is more than enough for line of sight acro flying. If you're filming you can usually benefit from more, but I actually get bored after 20 straight minutes in the air if I'm not FPVing or trying to get a shot.

The telemetry and fpv from the camera has brought my Phantom safely home twice! I consider it a safety feature.

I rarely put my FPV gear or even camera on the Phantom anymore, my 550 is the workhorse for that now so the Phantom is mostly just for fun.

However I do have separate telemetry set up on the Phantom so I don't miss the OSD there when I'm not using all the FPV stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl