Rear lights solid red - just for 3 or 4 seconds - flies normally

A

avark

Hi All,

I have a P2 Non Vision without camera. Been flying in NAZA mode. Last 3 flights, the rear leg lights have come on RED for about 3 or 4 seconds then off - once during each flight - but everything flies normally. Two of the flights were in Atti mode (flashing yellow normally) and one in manual mode (no rear lights). Found in manual "if rear lights come on solid red, hover aircraft until lights go out".

Happened on 17th, 18th, and 20th flight. I calibrated compass in a field far away from anything but alfalfa after the 17th flight and have been flying it out there for the remaining flights (the 17th flight I was flying over a road and there was a manhole cover and overhead wires nearby). P2 Assistant giving normal compass numbers and battery numbers and IMU advanced calibration done here.

Battery operating normally. I usually get 15 - 20 or so minutes and land with third light flashing or solid 4th light red. Always start fully charged.

Aircraft has not been crashed, near water, or landed rough - total 21 flights. Usually stay below 50 feet and within 150 yards. Not sure what else to say about it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have a P2 Non Vision without camera. Been flying in NAZA mode. Last 3 flights, the rear leg lights have come on RED for about 3 or 4 seconds then off - once during each flight - but everything flies normally. Two of the flights were in Atti mode (flashing yellow normally) and one in manual mode (no rear lights). Found in manual "if rear lights come on solid red, hover aircraft until lights go out".

Happened on 17th, 18th, and 20th flight. I calibrated compass in a field far away from anything but alfalfa after the 17th flight and have been flying it out there for the remaining flights (the 17th flight I was flying over a road and there was a manhole cover and overhead wires nearby). P2 Assistant giving normal compass numbers and battery numbers and IMU advanced calibration done here.

Battery operating normally. I usually get 15 - 20 or so minutes and land with third light flashing or solid 4th light red. Always start fully charged.

Aircraft has not been crashed, near water, or landed rough - total 21 flights. Usually stay below 50 feet and within 150 yards. Not sure what else to say about it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're taking off without a good home lock either that or you are losing GPS once you're in flight. Without an FPV system, there is no way to know if you are losing GPS signal.

I do get a good home lock. Takes about 30 seconds to get the all flashing green, then the rapid green. I start the controller in gps mode and will make sure I get the rapid green before I switch to atti then take off.

I suspect, if it keeps up, or I see it more often, I'll open it up and check connections. Theoretically, if I am in atti or manual and GPS should fail, the drone will still fly ok won't it? Not using gps in atti or manual, so would it even make a difference?

Thanks for your thoughts, Jason.

I do get a good home lock. Takes about 30 seconds to get the all flashing green, then the rapid green. I start the controller in gps mode and will make sure I get the rapid green before I switch to atti then take off.

I suspect, if it keeps up, or I see it more often, I'll open it up and check connections. Theoretically, if I am in atti or manual and GPS should fail, the drone will still fly ok won't it? Not using gps in atti or manual, so would it even make a difference?

The P2 lights are driven to specific colors by a PWM signal.

A missing PWM signal cannot trigger or create an incorrect color.

Here's an old discussion I recalled: How does the Naza control the leds on the ESC's ???

Last edited:

The home lock is not rapid green indicates that's it searching for GPS signal and when it has six or more sats then you will get a slow flashing green indicates a home lock.

The home lock is not rapid green indicates that's it searching for GPS signal and when it has six or more sats then you will get a slow flashing green indicates a home lock.

Jason, perhaps I am not understanding the manual correctly? Go to page 25 of the NAZA-M start guide manual. In the light signal chart it shows the multiple flashing green as "Record forward direction or home point".

I always do the warmup in GPS mode. Get the one green three red as it begins satellite search, until slow multiple green blinks, then the rapid flashing green as stated above, then back to slow flashing green to indicate 6+ satellites. After that I switch to atti and take off. Once in the air I do a stick function test then off to manual mode. In manual mode I am not expecting any rear leg lights nor do I get any. Until the steady red but just for a few seconds.

The important part is that thing flies OK. It is a complex machine and sometimes I wonder if it is smarter than I am! :^)

Sounds like you understand, but to confirm- There are two possible occurrences of rapid Green... the first is typically Forward direction for use with Course Lock. The second is typically Home Location due to the time it takes for GPS sat. lock. Occasionally I have had both back-to-back!

Have you hooked up to the Assistant to see if there is any error(s) reported?

Sounds like you understand, but to confirm- There are two possible occurrences of rapid Green... the first is typically Forward direction for use with Course Lock. The second is typically Home Location due to the time it takes for GPS sat. lock. Occasionally I have had both back-to-back!

Have you hooked up to the Assistant to see if there is any error(s) reported?

Yes, I have hooked up to the Assistant and went through all the screens after the 18th flight; saw nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks.

Although I have the IOC engaged, I don't use it. Have tested it to make sure it all worked when I went to NAZA-M a while back. As you mention, I have had the rapid green flash back to back on warmup a few times, then just the slow flashing green until I switch to atti! As stated before I do the warmup and preflight with both sticks full up. Take S1 to atti to launch and then to manual once up about 20 feet after I check stick travel and response. Atti slow flashing yellow then manual no rear leg lights.....

Thanks.

Jason, perhaps I am not understanding the manual correctly? Go to page 25 of the NAZA-M start guide manual. In the light signal chart it shows the multiple flashing green as "Record forward direction or home point".

I always do the warmup in GPS mode. Get the one green three red as it begins satellite search, until slow multiple green blinks, then the rapid flashing green as stated above, then back to slow flashing green to indicate 6+ satellites. After that I switch to atti and take off. Once in the air I do a stick function test then off to manual mode. In manual mode I am not expecting any rear leg lights nor do I get any. Until the steady red but just for a few seconds.

The important part is that thing flies OK. It is a complex machine and sometimes I wonder if it is smarter than I am! :^)

Look I also fly in full Naza-M mode but I have no idea what manual you are referring to when you mentioned page 25. When setting up in GPS and once you have 6 or more satellites the LEDs will flash a slow green at which time your home point is locked in. When in ATTI the LEDs will flash yellow slowly.

Now if I'm not mistaken you mentioned that you have S1 setup in manual mode. Are you doing aerobatics with your P2 if not then why is S1 set to manual? With S1 in manual mode, there is no return to the home point unless you switch S2 to home lock.

Hi Jason,

S1 is set to manual mode because I set it there recently. I had the "itch" to try and wanted to compare manual to atti. I like the challenge. Aerobatics? I don't know - never say never.......

Manual: Yes, I downloaded the manual I was referring to from the Spirit of Flight page at DJI - keep scrolling down to "other downloads" and you will see it in the left hand column. As you know, the light sequences are different in Phantom mode and NAZA mode.

Hi Jason,

S1 is set to manual mode because I set it there recently. I had the "itch" to try and wanted to compare manual to atti. I like the challenge. Aerobatics? I don't know - never say never.......

Manual: Yes, I downloaded the manual I was referring to from the Spirit of Flight page at DJI - keep scrolling down to "other downloads" and you will see it in the left hand column. As you know, the light sequences are different in Phantom mode and NAZA mode.

For one thing, you do not have a Naza-M v2 module in your P2 and you can find the correct info in this link. Naza-M - DJI Wiki You can find the LED indicators in the Naza-M setup wizard at the bottom of the page.

Since you have the P2 setup with S1 in the manual you have no failsafe meaning that if you lose signal from the controller it will not return to the home point but instead, land wherever it is at the time. If you want to do aerobatics I don't suggest trying it under 100 feet as you may not be happy with the results. When flying in ATTI mode you are flying in manual mode as the craft will not hover meaning you have to give it commands. Myself, I prefer failsafe in the third position of switch 1.

Technically it has neither a V1 or V2 as it is a NAZA Phantom controller. Firmware (can) makes it a M-V2 equivalent while preserving the Phantom traits.

As far as ATTI. Mode- it's full ATTItude maintenance (level, altitude, heading) less GPS X-Y position hold found in GPS/Atti. Mode.

Manual mode- NO Attitude maintenance at all. Any influence to create tilt will result in a slide, then tumble, to the ground without pilot input. RTH is the least of your worries.

Thanks, Jason, understood.

I found what I had seen elsewhere but you pointed me to it again with the DJI -wiki site. I had seen this "when (red steady lights pictured as a red bar) appear please hover the aircraft until disappears, so as to have better flight performance" in the LED indicater chart at the bottom of the NAZM-wiki. So I guess I'll just hover and wait the 3 or 4 seconds until it disappears if it shows up again.

FYI, I do notice a definite difference between Atti and Manual - not only is altitude hold not there, but the sticks are much more sensitive. And as N017RW points out, one needs a little opposite stick input to halt the direction movement selected. I appreciate that most all of you use your drones as a camera platform, and DJI does an excellent job of providing in-flight stability for that purpose. But, wow, there is a whole new world of flight performance waiting if ya just move that S1 one more notch down! :^)

Gentlemen, thank you for your time and input. Your comments and guidance are much appreciated. I never fail to learn something new in this forum. Thanks again!

I do not use my P2-NV as a camera platform (either).
It is strictly a Sport fly-er and to let friends, family, etc. have the experience of flying something which, in GPS/Atti. Mode, is more like a "Magic Carpet".

Folks who have never flown a 'plank' can't really appreciate what r/c pilots had to learn and endure to bring their planes home in one piece at the end of the day.

Reactions: avark
N017RW, That is another nice thing about this drone. I have let others fly it in GPS/Atti on occasion. It is a true joy to see their faces as they maneuver it about. Either they want to go drone shopping, or had an attitude (no pun intended) change to more pro-drone once they got to take their turn at it! I always feel good about introducing someone to these things in a positive manner.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj