Oh dear! Here I go again! Flippin .DAT files

Right, this is my "home" screen - where would I find this file in amongst this lot?
Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 20.14.45.jpg

Right, this is my "home" screen - where would I find this file in amongst this lot?
It's not that important. Was just trying to help Bud out to find an error possibly in his MAC version of the software. Concentrate on learning it now. That's the important thing since at least it is working.

Hey Bud, I did a search for that file name on the hard drive and it doesn't exist. When would have been generated, from where?

Hey Bud, I did a search for that file name on the hard drive and it doesn't exist. When would have been generated, from where?
It does exhist. Look for this file. It is case sensitive in search and don't forget the dot before. .csvViewLog

I don't know any more answers for you. As I said, it is not that important. Don't dwell on it.

This is the search I did of the HD.............

Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 20.51.46.jpg

I have found a Fly302.config.txt file?

BudWalker - am I right in thinking that you developed the CsvView and DatCon programs?
Absolutely brilliant now that I am starting to use them. It will take a while to become fully familiar with all the parameters, especially finding the ones to plot from the long list.
Many thanks

BudWalker - am I right in thinking that you developed the CsvView and DatCon programs?
Absolutely brilliant now that I am starting to use them. It will take a while to become fully familiar with all the parameters, especially finding the ones to plot from the long list.
Many thanks
You're welcome. Have fun.

Reactions: Fly Dawg
Now I'm up and running, is there somewhere where each of the abbreviations is explained? Some are obvious but can't understand some of them??

Thanks in anticipation.....I have read the manual but not a definitive list there......

Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 15.27.13.jpg

is there somewhere where each of the abbreviations is explained?
Short answer. Nope. Trial and error my friend. You do need to know a bit about Telemetry and the way the aircraft functions to understand some of them. Also to point out, some signals are not used by certain aircraft, so you have to know which aircraft you are looking at.

Aghhhhhhh! I have P3A by the way.
I know a bit about telemetry having flown model planes for 70 years and also a real one a few times :cool:
However, am I right in thinking that in the selection menu ctrl_motor/pwm1,2,3,4 are the motor speeds?

However, am I right in thinking that in the selection menu ctrl_motor/pwm1,2,3,4 are the motor speeds?
No. The PWM is the ESC data. The motor's are in RPM and shown as "Motor Speed".

Reactions: flyNfrank
@cheddarman I am assuming from your screen shot that the MAC version is a bit different than the PC version OR this could be part of the Internal Error that Bud was looking for.

CSV SIGS.PNG

Many thanks Bud, that sorted it!! I really appreciate your and FD's patience on here, :D

My hat is off to you guys for helping folks like Cheddarman and myself to be able to enjoy this hobby. This site has helped me tremendously, and I DO appreciate it. Thanks, Gary

I second that statement, as I said in #54!

My story, I'm 81.
My son Indopilot flew the jungles of Papua, Indonesia for seven years. During that time the various native tribes of the hills and jungle built many new airstrips to get access to the services of Susi Air. Whenever a new strip was reported as "available" my son would fly to the nearest known one and then fly his drone over to "survey" the new one before taking his Pilatus PC6 to it for a maiden landing. Once he was satisfied that it was usable he'd fly over there, do a few passes and only then land.
He has now returned to more civilised flying, but not so much fun as he puts it, as a pilot for Jet Exchange, flying millionaire around Europe so he gave me his P3A last year.
I't been a very steep learning curve for my old brain and thank goodness I found this forum and especially Fly Dawg and BudWalker without whom I would certainly not be where I am.
All this analytical stuff is to keep my grey matter working, very important as one gets older, but also it gives me a better insight into how the drone actually works.

Couple of drone pictures from Papua.

Hope I didn't bore you all.............

DJI_0225.jpg
VIRB0026.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, hope someone might still be listening to this thread. I'm just trying to go through the same, on a Windows 10 PC. Have downloaded DatCON, and on running it said it needed Java 1.8.0 (64bit). It then took me to the Java website, and I installed the latest Java. But DatCON still keeps complaining the same? About Java reports (build 1.8.0_281-b09) . . . but I haven't yet reboot my PC (as it's taking AGES to get all the dat files off my Phantom 3S). Any thoughts?
Actually, will these dat files give me rather simpler data such as altitude, speed, photos taken, etc as I'm not sure I want all the detailed telemetry.

Ohhhh it's a steep learning curve. Thanks for this. I'm delving into my phone records, and find that DJI Go and Pix4DCapture store the flight text files in different places . . . but I'm making progress. Actually trying Airdata.com at the moment, as it seems to handle several text files at once. WIll also look at Phantomhelp lofg viewer. MANY thanks for the guidance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT