How can I read FLY**.DAT files

Reaction score
Here is what I have done with no luck so far.

I first decided I was going to remove the hidden microSD card located above the battery bay. After shining light in and looking through the air vent on the side of the body, I see that the holder and microSD card are both white glued meaning the card will not come out with disassembling everything.

So I connect the P3 to my pc, and activate the controller and Pilot app and then enabled the Flight Data option which allows me access to all the flights I have flown. Files appear similar as FLY)078.DAT. I download one file to my pc desktop.

I then upload the .DAT file on a ipod touch and open ifunbox. I can manage to navigate to the file but I have not been successful in being able to view anything in the file from that point.

Guy's, what do I do, or can I do to access and view files from the .DAT file?

You can view the file with a binary viewer. It will show text directly and numbers in binary form, either floating point or integers. If there is a pattern in the file you can write a structure in C programming language or other programming language to read it fully.

Usually these are files used by DJI. DJI said they might at some point release the reader, but I imagine many people would like to read them already. If you could send me the log I might be able to have a look and see if I can write a program to read them.

Usually these are files used by DJI. DJI said they might at some point release the reader, but I imagine many people would like to read them already. If you could send me the log I might be able to have a look and see if I can write a program to read them.

OMG Heck Yes I will gladly send you a .DAT file if you can do that!

Send me your email in a Conversation here on the board and I will get it out to you.

Thanks!

I can decode them but I don't know what all the fields mean yet. I can see raw IMU and flight controller data, and a bunch of textual log messages. They're not very interesting. Excerpt below:

0 mis cali 55 55 6aff fff0 cnt:0
0 imu status:0
0 startup:4.158847

0 Board:"wm320v2"
1 compass calibration init!
[ 648] => cfg_var_table_size_0
1 [FDI MAGN[1]] event:turn on
1 [FDI GYRO[1]] event:turn on
1 [FDI ACC[1]] event:turn on
1 [FDI BARO[1]] event:turn on
1 [FDI AHRS] event: turn on
1 [FDI CTRL] event: turn on
1 temp cali (0.000000,0.000000) 0 fw:4 4

1 temp cali 0 bw:0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 ba:0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

1 app temp cali (23.000000,65.000000) aa fw:6 6

1 app temp cali aa bw:0.000059 -0.001558 -0.000292 ba:-0.000842 -0.000172 -0.001501

etc. etc.

If we stick with this....we'll get it. :D

I'm hoping Trumple has some luck. I haven't heard anything from since sending a .DAT file to him, and I'm going to take that as a good thing. I worked on it myself off & on for the past 3-4 days until frustration set in and I turned to the pro's here.

I'm hoping Trumple has some luck. I haven't heard anything from since sending a .DAT file to him, and I'm going to take that as a good thing. I worked on it myself off & on for the past 3-4 days until frustration set in and I turned to the pro's here.

I haven't received anything yet I'm afraid - are you sure you got the right address? :)

I haven't received anything yet I'm afraid - are you sure you got the right address? :)

I actually had After you said you did get anything I searched and found it in the outbox. The attachment was too large. Hopefully you got the smaller file size I was able to find and send.

I looked at these also when I got my P3 (simple to just connect by USB and download to computer). Thanks for providing the little excerpt of decoded data.

I found that the .txt files the stored on the mobile device (DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord on Android) are quite useful. If you run them through the converter at http://flylitchi.com/logs, the .csv output can be used directly in Dashware (via the Flytrex profile) to do telemetry overlays on your video. Example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am more interested in the telemetry data but I suppose if you are developing an app you would very much like to be able to decode the .DAT files. They look very low-level and detailed.

There is way more data detail on the .DAT file. There is also way more data that litchi could add with the .txt file but it appears to be low on the priority list. However, what he did provide is much appreciated.

The files are binary, so not human readable. The tool is just a binary converter, with probably hard coded conversion for speed and altitude. All it would take is for someone to write a tool to convert all the data. I'm too busy at work these days, but I have a month off for paternity leave starting the end of June. I plan to take a crack at writing a real converter then.

Sorry for basic question,

So I connect the P3 to my pc, and activate the controller and Pilot app and then enabled the Flight Data option which allows me access to all the flights I have flown. Files appear similar as FLY)078.DAT. I download one file to my pc desktop.

I cannot find "Flight Data" option in my Pilot app (Android 1.1.0). Is it only available in iOS version?

Can someone PM me or post a small but complete .DAT file? I'm at work and would like to take a look at one, possibly throw together a converter.
Thanks

Frank, send me a small one too, please. Just PM it if possible.

You can extract the log messages from the FLY.DAT files using http://www.uavforecast.com/djilogs.

here was also a post the other day - don't remember exactly where - the guys at www.flightreplay.com are working on a project to decode the fly.dat files. They are apparently in the same format as something they had previously done. They didn't indicate how long it might be before they had a "reader" available.

DJI can read them. I saw a post from a DJI employee on the DJI forum - she was asking a user to send her a specific .dat file so they could analyze the flight.

There's a lot of information available in the flight logs on your mobile device. The data available from the fly.dat files is apparently even more extensive.

And no, you don't have to have a Apple device to get into the Flight Data Mode - you can also enter that mode with an Android app. You just can't do anything practical with the data.

There's a lot of information available in the flight logs on your mobile device. The data available from the fly.dat files is apparently even more extensive.

And no, you don't have to have a Apple device to get into the Flight Data Mode - you can also enter that mode with an Android app. You just can't do anything practical with the data.

Don't hold it in....share with us your process on viewing .DAT info on whatever Android app.

I looked at these also when I got my P3 (simple to just connect by USB and download to computer). Thanks for providing the little excerpt of decoded data.

I found that the .txt files the stored on the mobile device (DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord on Android) are quite useful. If you run them through the converter at http://flylitchi.com/logs, the .csv output can be used directly in Dashware (via the Flytrex profile) to do telemetry overlays on your video. Example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am more interested in the telemetry data but I suppose if you are developing an app you would very much like to be able to decode the .DAT files. They look very low-level and detailed.
I just came across your post regarding the use of P3Pro data to use with Dashware. I connected my pc to the system and downloaded the .txt file in the log folder. I then tried to get it converted using the flylitchi link in your post.
However, the system reports that my file is corrupt. No other info than that. Is there some way to clear that file and start from scratch from the next flight? Is it as simple as deleting it? I was hesitant to try that for fear there maybe something in that file that was being used.
I really like that Dashware program and I still find it hard to believe that it is free.

kentm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers