Nexus 7 II sunshade question

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here has used this 3D printed sunshade for their Nexus 7 II...

6927ae6855aba82f9a81e15152c0f8cc.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...om sunshade&qid=1456281327&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately there are no reviews and I hate to purchase it blindly. I'm also considering the DJI branded sunshade for tablets however, from what I've read I would have to enlarge the charging port opening by cutting into the side of the sunshade to accommodate the Nexus 7 II. This is something I'd rather not do, but it is what it is.

The one thing I do like about the DJI branded shade is that it folds up and I could put it in my Nanuk 945. The 3D printed one appears to be just one solid piece and I'm not sure if it would fit in the case (doubtful by the looks of it).

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I purchased the DJI hood from Amazon a few weeks ago to use with the Nexus 7 2013. Here is the link but the photo is wrong http://amzn.to/1oI3GY6.

First, I'd go with the DJI one. It folds up nicely and fits in the top of my DJI Backpack. Second, it's cheaper.

Cutting the opening for the USB cable was pretty simple. I used a razor blade and didn't cut it perfectly. As you'll see from the photos below, I didn't cut the outside flap. I just offset the flap a little to make room for the cable.

Make sure you get an original DJI model it comes in a black box with the logo. It doesn't have the suction cups. Also because it adds thickness behind the tablet, make sure you have the holder clamped down as much as possible. I haven't had an issue.

It's worth mentioning that the hood doesn't cut out as much glare as I thought it would. Most of the glare is from the front of the screen. That said, it does help reduce the visibility of things like fingerprints and smudges. So, I use it all the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

eaa47e09bb4a7ed7faeac5393ed2019d.jpg
b9cacc75a1bdc4df1ebbad1630d97a0a.jpg
e017c9e781eaa08a3035bd8d7eaae662.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks sixthhour. At this point I think I'm going to order both and compare. The 3D printed one has a return policy so if it doesn't work out I can send it back. I just like the fact that it doesn't appear to be as bulky as the DJI version once installed but that may also be a issue as far as letting light in.

I'm glad you posted pics of your modification as it gives me a better idea of what I have to do.

I'll post back once I do a comparison of the two...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, I purchased the DJI hood from Amazon a few weeks ago to use with the Nexus 7 2013. Here is the link but the photo is wrong http://amzn.to/1oI3GY6.

First, I'd go with the DJI one. It folds up nicely and fits in the top of my DJI Backpack. Second, it's cheaper.

Cutting the opening for the USB cable was pretty simple. I used a razor blade and didn't cut it perfectly. As you'll see from the photos below, I didn't cut the outside flap. I just offset the flap a little to make room for the cable.

Make sure you get an original DJI model it comes in a black box with the logo. It doesn't have the suction cups. Also because it adds thickness behind the tablet, make sure you have the holder clamped down as much as possible. I haven't had an issue.

It's worth mentioning that the hood doesn't cut out as much glare as I thought it would. Most of the glare is from the front of the screen. That said, it does help reduce the visibility of things like fingerprints and smudges. So, I use it all the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

eaa47e09bb4a7ed7faeac5393ed2019d.jpg
b9cacc75a1bdc4df1ebbad1630d97a0a.jpg
e017c9e781eaa08a3035bd8d7eaae662.jpg

I did end up getting the 3D printed and the DJI sun shields. The 3D printed one is convenient but not very effective. It only came in white so I'm wondering if I paint it black that may help. Another project for another day...

I made the same modification you did to your DJI shield and it fits well. I also picked up a Tough Armor anti-glare screen cover for my Nexus so now I just need to get a day off so I can get some air time and see if the glare and reflection issue is cleared up.

I did end up getting the 3D printed and the DJI sun shields. The 3D printed one is convenient but not very effective. It only came in white so I'm wondering if I paint it black that may help. Another project for another day...

I made the same modification you did to your DJI shield and it fits well. I also picked up a Tough Armor anti-glare screen cover for my Nexus so now I just need to get a day off so I can get some air time and see if the glare and reflection issue is cleared up.

I finally got a chance to get my bird in the air yesterday and have to say that with the Tough Armor anti-glare screen cover and the stock DJI sun shield viewing on my Nexus 7 II has dramatically improved. Not perfect, but at least I can see everything now!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl