New P3A - Opinion on signal quality

Reaction score
Here is one leg of my first flight, shared from HealthyDrones.com

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Basically I am just curious if this sort of performance is typical in residential area. For those in San Antonio, this is just SE of 1604 and Bandera Rd. After reading other posts about signal quality I just want to make sure that it appears to be functioning properly given it is still in its first 30 days. Having no frame of reference myself, I submit this for your reivew :)

Thank you folks again for your welcoming and helpful community!

Sean

Was that the max range you could get?
If you want to do a proper range test, you probably need to try it in a more open area, preferably from a high position, so that you can maintain a good line of sight directly to the aircraft at all times. Line of sight will kill your range much quicker than just distance alone. Trees, buildings, anything between you and the drone can impact range.

Thank you, that was the max range I could get, however upon viewing the log I realized perhaps I could've continued on past the 'rough' spot. LOS :) may have been lost (lots of trees around HP). As well I was trying to avoid it but ended up over an apartment complex
on my way to a little lake you cannot see from the roads but is visible in Google Maps. A few hundred feet to the right of the area I lost signal there is also a cell tower. While cell towers shouldn't be operating in that band that I am aware of, I suppose that could've contributed. This is a highly populated residential area with a swatch of undeveloped land I was attempting to flyover / reach. Also curious if the signal levels are 'normal' for such an area.

Go up to 400 feet altitude. Also may sure maximum distance in go app is turned off! Put tablet or phone in airplane mode so your wifi is turned off! Also get yourself a windsurfer antennae range extender. Go to amazon.com. I like Skyreat windsurfer myself in my opinion. Best bang for $20.

Reactions: Techcop50
go opposite direction, away from the cell tower, and see if you get a much different result. I'd expect you would.

Tonight I went west away from the tower that is north of my house. I lost signal at 400ft, 2091 ft distant. I inadvertently flew over a neighborhood outbound, and once I lost signal RTH activated and I allowed it to return home. The return flight was green, although after viewing the flight data on HealthyDrones I see it wasn't as good as I'd thought. I was trying to keep cognizant of antenna position but could've done a better job. This is day 2 and admittedly over populated area. Do ya'll see this type of signal over populated areas or should I be concerned?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl