Problem with flying distance

Reaction score
I have problem with flying distance. I have Phantom 3 Standart brand new, bough 2 weeks ago and is never crashed. My P3S doesn`t fly farther than 320m as documentation says it can fly up to 1km in clear area (flight didn`t reached 320m). Don`t laugh about me I`m just a beginner and I just want to become an experienced Phantomizer, it`s not possible without other experienced user help, right? :)

But I`m really dissatisfied that aircraft doesn`t reach requirements with fly 300m MAX not 500m as it`s available for EU regulations.

In this flight You can see HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters here are only 120m flight so far when lost signal and return to home.
These 2 flights was MAX distance test flight I did, still not reach 500m limit and 120m height HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters when aircraft lost signal and return to home. I think it must reach the side of the river to reach the goal! Often also when I just take-off over my head to 120m max height often I get weak signal between my remote controller and aircraft. Aircraft is brand new and wasn`t crashed ever. I ordered range extender from ebay Antenna Radio Signal Range Booster Extender Amplifier For DJI Phantom 3 Standard | eBay and hope this will solve the problem. I don`t really want to exceed 500m flight but I want to reach it stabble while flying up to 500m distance around me! What are experience of this problem for others? Had anyone similiar problems? How do You solve it?

Last edited:
I have problem with flying distance. I have Phantom 3 Standart brand new, bough 2 weeks ago and is never crashed. My P3S doesn`t fly farther than 320m as documentation says it can fly up to 1km in clear area (flight didn`t reached 320m). Don`t laugh about me I`m just a beginner and I just want to become an experienced Phantomizer, it`s not possible without other experienced user help, right? :)

But I`m really dissatisfied that aircraft doesn`t reach requirements with fly 300m MAX not 500m as it`s available for EU regulations.

In this flight You can see HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters here are only 120m flight so far when lost signal and return to home.
These 2 flights was MAX distance test flight I did, still not reach 500m limit HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters when aircraft lost signal and return to home. Often also when I just take-off over my head to 120m max height often I get weak signal between my remote controller and aircraft. Aircraft is brand new and wasn`t crashed ever. I ordered range extender from ebay Antenna Radio Signal Range Booster Extender Amplifier For DJI Phantom 3 Standard | eBay and hope this will solve problem. I don`t really want to exceed 500m flight but I want to reach it stabble while flying up to 500m distance around me! What are experience of this problem for others? Had anyone simmiliar problems? How do You solve it?
Its not still in beginer mode is it,,theac altitude andflight range restricted in this mode

Nope I`m not in beginner mode! Beginner mode was passed! I`m in standard flight mode now! I restrict flight altitude to 120m as EU regulations recommend do that. But I fly approximatelly 60-70m high it`s still not reach 500m flight distance. Does the WiFi in housing really affect flight range? Maybe it`s not possible to reach 500m flight range with range extender and it`s better to buy P3 Advanced or Pro? I also don`t have any mods in my aircraft or Remote Controller. Maybe I need to buy Remote Controller Extender from ArgTek ARGtek WiFi Signal Range Extender Antenna Panel +Tool For DJI Phantom 3 Standard | eBay to expand my coverage? Would this solve the problem?

Last edited:

These 2 flights was MAX distance test flight I did, still not reach 500m limit HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters when aircraft lost signal and return to home. Often also when I just take-off over my head to 120m max height often I get weak signal between my remote controller and aircraft. Aircraft is brand new and wasn`t crashed ever. I ordered range extender from ebay Antenna Radio Signal Range Booster Extender Amplifier For DJI Phantom 3 Standard | eBay and hope this will solve problem. I don`t really want to exceed 500m flight but I want to reach it stabble while flying up to 500m distance around me! What are experience of this problem for others? Had anyone simmiliar problems? How do You solve it?
Also when flying overhead pays to keep remote aimed at ac to help signal,

Other Wifi signals affects your range as your bird uses wifi to communicate with the controller. You need to look into more open areas of flying before spending extra money.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
your phantom is ce mode.....500m ? if so, you are doing well in a residential area , getting 64% of advertised range. magic power may be worth looking at ?

Don`t want to use any internal or programmable modifications. I don`t want to exceed limitations to EU regulations. May range extenders increase flight range? Have anyone experience with range extenders? For example parabolic antennas?

Don`t want to use any internal or programmable modifications. I don`t want to exceed limitations to EU regulations. May range extenders increase flight range? Have anyone experience with range extenders? For example parabolic antennas?
I did get these for p3 but ended up putin on p34k,,help a little buts these wernt good value,,,35 bucks off ebay but i got what i paid for.....not much,,,,,i also use windsufer with these to try help bit more,,,
20161225_152332.jpg

I used a simple windsurfer on my old PS3 and in a clear area regularly flew beyond 1 Klm. As mentioned, you need to be in an inteference free area to do this and antenna aiming technique is crucial. You need to keep the antenna parallel to the legs of the drone and when flying overhead, lay the antenna parallel to the ground. Pointing the tip of the antenna at the drone will kill the signal. Make sure you have 'enable maximum distance' switched off in the app settings and go to a wide open area and try that.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Like others have told you already, make sure your antenna is properly oriented, and do a test in a rural area to make sure everything is ok. 300m in a congested area is not that bad, I think you need to reset your expectations a bit and understand that many factors can influence radio signals. But you had the P3S for only 2 weeks, I'd suggest you don't rush to conclusions and take some time to learn how to get the best out of it, it's quite a remarkable piece of technology for the price.

As for improving the range, if you "don't want to use any internal or programmable modifications", then your only option is a windsurfer, although it helps only with the control signal and nothing does for the 2.4GHz WiFi. The mod you listed (ArgTek) does require you to open the RC in order to disconnect the existing antennas and connect the new ones, so it could definitely be considered "internal". And even if it's reversible, someone who knows where to look can tell you tampered with the RC (read: void the warranty).

Not sure how reversible Icarus or Magic Power are, but that's probably what I would do if I were in EU, at least to bring the power up to US levels.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I'm in the uk have flows, residential with my P3 and I can't complain about range at all. I'm always getting notifications saying bad signal but it's never lost it completely and never started RTH. However I have gone over 350m once or twice I just think there is no need to go further. Not only can you not se it properly it's hard to get orientation of the craft. Maybe take it down the beach over the sea or some open fields with a good RTH hight setting. Just make sure you get good wind direction and battery first ( flight into the wind) today seems like a perfect day for flying. 6mph winds on the coast and blue skies.

Happy flying

Try flying at 200' and tinker with your two side paddle antennas. I'm getting soooooo close to 1 mile. I've hit around 4900' at 200'. Flying higher will keep a better signal due to line of sight. But as other posts state...trees, power lines, weather, etc... all affect distance.

I did get these for p3 but ended up putin on p34k,,help a little buts these wernt good value,,,35 bucks off ebay but i got what i paid for.....not much,,,,,i also use windsufer with these to try help bit more,,,View attachment 78448

Not saying this to be mean; I thought these were a joke when I first saw your picture. Those things are HUGE!

Not saying this to be mean; I thought these were a joke when I first saw your picture. Those things are HUGE!
Mate all good have had al sorts of remarks:)cant find box they came in so cant give info,,sposed to be x5 ,,no even in need panels to complete set,,BUT they worked beta than originals,

Very new to this myself, which makes me very reluctant to reply but here goes...
I had the very same issues you're describing with my brand new p3s, almost constant strong interference warnings and weak remote signal warnings, much of the time only several hundred feet away. If I ignored the warnings and kept going, I could maybe get 1000 ft distance on a good day before rth kicked in...and this was not just one location.
I was considering antenna upgrades, much like you and after reading that the Litchi app solved this problem for SOME people, I decided to give it a shot.
Although I haven't distance tested it yet, I have flown the very same locations at roughly the same distances and altitudes, and have yet to see one warning flash on the screen. So much more fun without all the warnings going off!
Just my own personal experience here, not a recommendation in any way![emoji6]

These 2 flights was MAX distance test flight I did, still not reach 500m limit and 120m height HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters when aircraft lost signal and return to home. I think it must reach the side of the river to reach the goal! Often also when I just take-off over my head to 120m max height often I get weak signal between my remote controller and aircraft. Aircraft is brand new and wasn`t crashed ever. I ordered range extender from ebay Antenna Radio Signal Range Booster Extender Amplifier For DJI Phantom 3 Standard | eBay and hope this will solve the problem. I don`t really want to exceed 500m flight but I want to reach it stabble while flying up to 500m distance around me! What are experience of this problem for others? Had anyone similiar problems? How do You solve it?

I am a Ham operator as well as a drone hobbyist. People need to know that electromagnetic transmissions depend upon many variables. There could (and probably are) also be other transmissions in the area. The specifications under which these units are sold are under optimal conditions. The truth may be less or sometimes more. Those who "get away with" with long flights could be surprised on another day. You do not solve these problems ... you learn to live with them. If you are going to do range testing flights know what the possibilities are. I won't discourage any experimenter. I have been well over a thousand feet off the launch surface over hills. I have flown oval routes of miles. But I always have in mind these issues. I also have on occasion walked with my transmitter toward the drone when possible to limit range testing situations. Your luck is your own.

I am a Ham operator as well as a drone hobbyist. People need to know that electromagnetic transmissions depend upon many variables. There could (and probably are) also be other transmissions in the area. The specifications under which these units are sold are under optimal conditions. The truth may be less or sometimes more. Those who "get away with" with long flights could be surprised on another day. You do not solve these problems ... you learn to live with them. If you are going to do range testing flights know what the possibilities are. I won't discourage any experimenter. I have been well over a thousand feet off the launch surface over hills. I have flown oval routes of miles. But I always have in mind these issues. I also have on occasion walked with my transmitter toward the drone when possible to limit range testing situations. Your luck is your own.

Hey I ran into this and wanted to say hello. My call is NY4PD. Palm Bay Florida.. Hello fellow drone and ham brother.

Reactions: Tiburon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl