Neighbour troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that there is why the rest of the world thinks the USA is nothing but trigger happy thugs. I am a responsible gun owner, would never threaten deady force against a neighbor over property damage to drone.
I could give a rats *** what the rest of the world thinks. I also didn't say I'd shoot anyone over a drone either, but if I had a neighbor like that I would show him I had that potential.

Hi,
So I was flying my P3P the other day at home in my garden,
Where I live, just out the back of my garden, there is loads of open fields and nothing else,
I tend to lift off from the garden and head straight to the open fields out of the way of everything,
I heard the neighbour next door say that he was going to shoot it down when I come back to land, which had me worried,
So I was coming back into my garden to land, and I wasn't anywhere near him, he started taking shots at the phantom with a catapult ( slingshot )
When I heard him say this I set the video to record on the way back for landing in case anything did happen, ( which it did )
My question basically is:
Is he in the right by trying to shoot me down for landing in my garden
After being flying in open fields,
Or am I in the wrong for coming into my own garden to land with the video recording ?
I did read somewhere that take offs and landings were exempt from the 50m rule until it's airborne ?
I was going to call the police about this but thought that I would let it go this time as I wasn't entirely sure about the rules,
Has anybody experienced this or can offer me any advice
Thanks in advance
In the uk, should I add

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Where are you located?

I could give a rats *** what the rest of the world thinks. I also didn't say I'd shoot anyone over a drone either, but if I had a neighbor like that I would show him I had that potential.
Yep, your a tough guy. No wonder half the country wants to take away our gun rights.

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
Yep, your a tough guy. No wonder half the country wants to take away our gun rights.
I am far from a "tough guy", please read the OP. If my neighbor (or anyone) is standing there pissed off with me and only 30' away with a sling shot and rocks I would be worried.

Reactions: Slackware
The law certainly does not allow the offended party to seek his own remedy and will not exempt him from prosecution for damages caused. Further, I would be amazed if the neighbor or the police know anything about the details of article 95 so I would think you could give him a good scare by having the police talk to him. Finally, I would expect the prosecutor or CAA would not expend any effort (prosecutorial discretion) on such a small silly matter. I wouldn't hesitate to call the police on a wacko shooting a firearm randomly into the air.

Reactions: Paul Wynter
I came across a 'drone hater' in Caherciveen, I had permission to fly where I was working, and was well within all my rights. He did the usual 'if I had my shotgun' bit. I was very passive, did not spout off about my rights etc, and after a bit we found common ground, (dislike of Monsanto Round-up, believe it or not) and then a bit further on he was completely pacified and even taking a mild interest ('made in China, eh, they get everywhere') Having said that, he was my only challenge, but I'll always fly as far from people as possible, as when they hear it, it becomes an object of fascination. (we don't have many drones in Ireland)
There are ignorant begrudgers (a wonderful self explanatory Irish word) the world over, and I think you have one here, stay cool and let the police deal with it.. Sounds like trying to smooth things over here won't work.

The law certainly does not allow the offended party to seek his own remedy and will not exempt him from prosecution for damages caused. Further, I would be amazed if the neighbor or the police know anything about the details of article 95 so I would think you could give him a good scare by having the police talk to him. Finally, I would expect the prosecutor or CAA would not expend any effort (prosecutorial discretion) on such a small silly matter. I wouldn't hesitate to call the police on a wacko shooting a firearm randomly into the air.
I wouldn't. in this country they give YOUR name and info to the thug doing the shooting, while you are not going to get info about them.

Anyone threatening to use, or actually using a weapon to damage someones property is breaking the law.
I'd let him know, clearly, that you will inform the police if you suspect he intends to do you or your property harm

Here we go another load of bush lawers getting in on the act.

The bloke should go next door to his wonderful thing next door and belt him one in family jewels.

You would be an extremely irresponsible gun-owner then, and part of the problem that us responsible owners get so much heartburn over.

It is against the law -- rightly so -- to threaten someone with deadly force for any reason other than defending yourself when you truly believe your life or limb is threatened.

Please keep your guns in your home and don't threaten people with them simply because they pissed you off. You're making it harder for us NRA members to defend your 2nd amendment rights by acting like such a neanderthal.

Don't know about your part of the world, but in mine, I'll shoot back, and not with a slingshot....
Don't get me wrong, I am a CCW permit holder, after all.. But, If you were to shoot back, I think the police would be 'interviewing' you first and you would be wearing the cuffs... Perhaps a little refresher on the laws concerning firearms.. and brandishing, and use of deadly weapons... :)

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
You would be an extremely irresponsible gun-owner then, and part of the problem that us responsible owners get so much heartburn over.

It is against the law -- rightly so -- to threaten someone with deadly force for any reason other than defending yourself when you truly believe your life or limb is threatened.

Please keep your guns in your home and don't threaten people with them simply because they pissed you off. You're making it harder for us NRA members to defend your 2nd amendment rights by acting like such a neanderthal.
I'm an "Endowment" NRA member... I agree totally.

unless someone is using a bulldozer to bring down your house
Only in some states (maybe only in FL).

In the vast majority of jurisdictions, threats to property are not legal justification to use deadly force.

You are supposed to call Law Enforcement. That's how a Civil Society works.

Reactions: mapwd1702

No keep them on your hip. don't need to shoot neighbor, just him seeing you watching drone fly so are busy and can't point gun at him should be enough.
Just taking gun out of my ankle holster and putting it in my front pocket was enough incentive for thug with box cutter to leave me alone. because of no gun signs, I had to get dirt on my knee.

No keep them on your hip. don't need to shoot neighbor, just him seeing you watching drone fly so are busy and can't point gun at him should be enough.
Just taking gun out of my ankle holster and putting it in my front pocket was enough incentive for thug with box cutter to leave me alone. because of no gun signs, I had to get dirt on my knee.
The key terms here are "brandishing" or "threatening".

Open carry where it is legally allowed is neither or these. However, if you take action to expose an concealed weapon, depending on the circumstance, this can easily be judged to be "brandishing". If done coincidentally when having a heated dispute with a neighbor over drone flying I strongly suspect it would be a slam-dunk for the DA to nail you.

The idea is very simple: Your guns don't exist unless you are truly in fear for your safety. Anything short of this, and you're going to be in big trouble. The vast majority of us do not agree that it's okay to "send a message" with a gun -- ever. In terms of personal safety, they should ONLY be a part of the equation if you expect you may actually need to fire it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart