Neighbour troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the U.K., but in the US in situations like that the "race to the phone" is very important. The person that calls the police first is recorded as the "complaint ant or victim". You would be surprised the difference in the responding officers attitude with dealing with the other party.

And if that doesn't work there is a drone that shoots pepper spray balls

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If someone hit my AC while in flight with a projectile and it was still capable of flight good chance it would accidentally fly into them, as fast as it could Manage to fly.
neighbors like that demand the extra expense of carbon fiber blades.

I get along with my neighbors and they don't try to hit my Phantom with rocks. The only rocks we share are with a nice bourbon sharing sunsets :)
droning under the influence.
ok sir, I want you to hover and fly along this line, turn at the end, and fly back here and land. Now with your eyes close, touch the control sticks.

What about if you're asked to do a real estate job where you have to fly around houses to get an orbit. Would you have to reject the job?

After 37 years in law enforcement I can tell you that anyone that harms, or even attempts to do you or your property harm is breaking the law. Provided there are no city ordinances that prevent you from taking off from your back yard, and you are following all the rules of law with regard to drones.

As long as you aren't a threat to anyone, or harassing others with your drone, no one can force you to stop doing what you're doing.

If this character continues to harass you in this way, or harms you or your property, he can be arrested and charged with public mischief at a minimum and possibly even worse.

Bud

Hi,
So I was flying my P3P the other day at home in my garden,
Where I live, just out the back of my garden, there is loads of open fields and nothing else,
I tend to lift off from the garden and head straight to the open fields out of the way of everything,
I heard the neighbour next door say that he was going to shoot it down when I come back to land, which had me worried,
So I was coming back into my garden to land, and I wasn't anywhere near him, he started taking shots at the phantom with a catapult ( slingshot )
When I heard him say this I set the video to record on the way back for landing in case anything did happen, ( which it did )
My question basically is:
Is he in the right by trying to shoot me down for landing in my garden
After being flying in open fields,
Or am I in the wrong for coming into my own garden to land with the video recording ?
I did read somewhere that take offs and landings were exempt from the 50m rule until it's airborne ?
I was going to call the police about this but thought that I would let it go this time as I wasn't entirely sure about the rules,
Has anybody experienced this or can offer me any advice
Thanks in advance
In the uk, should I add

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I would suggest next time, fly in over his house, let him start chucking rocks and maybe he'll put one through his own window or through someone's car window parked on the street. You might get a reprimand for flying over his house but he'll be in some big trouble for flinging rock into a populated street and at other peoples houses and cars for sure.

I would suggest next time, fly in over his house, let him start chucking rocks and maybe he'll put one through his own window or through someone's car window parked on the street. You might get a reprimand for flying over his house but he'll be in some big trouble for flinging rock into a populated street and at other peoples houses and cars for sure.

Provocation and Retaliation are not the solution :)

Your neighbor has no reasonable expectation of privacy when he is outdoors. If you're filming and he happens to walk into view of the camera while obviously knowing you are out there filming, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Bud

Thanks guys that's great to hear,
I do have the video and I took a still from the video of him taking shots at it with the slingshot,
But I was unsure if I was in the wrong, as basically I was recording someone when I was coming into land,
I have the evidence of him shooting projectiles at the bird with the video recording,
But am I wrong for recording him,
Example... data protection etc...
Thanks again
Just want to get things in order before I call the police

Reactions: SkeyeSearch3r
If you have experienced a problem with people or expect to in the future...have a camera running on you when you fly. It could have caught the woman's threats. With no proof from you or her as far as doing anything wrong, this is just a bunch of talk.I at least would have aimed my cell phone at her and asked her to repeat herself.

Reactions: SkeyeSearch3r
Provocation and Retaliation are not the solution :)

It sounds like it is exactly what is in order for this crap of a neighbor. "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction".

Or maybe just bring this nice man some flowers and a box of candy to bribe him before you fly.

Hi,
So I was flying my P3P the other day at home in my garden,
Where I live, just out the back of my garden, there is loads of open fields and nothing else,
I tend to lift off from the garden and head straight to the open fields out of the way of everything,
I heard the neighbour next door say that he was going to shoot it down when I come back to land, which had me worried,
So I was coming back into my garden to land, and I wasn't anywhere near him, he started taking shots at the phantom with a catapult ( slingshot )
When I heard him say this I set the video to record on the way back for landing in case anything did happen, ( which it did )
My question basically is:
Is he in the right by trying to shoot me down for landing in my garden
After being flying in open fields,
Or am I in the wrong for coming into my own garden to land with the video recording ?
I did read somewhere that take offs and landings were exempt from the 50m rule until it's airborne ?
I was going to call the police about this but thought that I would let it go this time as I wasn't entirely sure about the rules,
Has anybody experienced this or can offer me any advice
Thanks in advance
In the uk, should I add

If you've video'd him shooting at your machine, call the police and show them the video. As long as you aren't flying over his property, he has no cause to try to damage your property.
There is much more chance of him hurting someone with a slingshot (which may be a restricted weapon in your jurisdiction) than there is of your drone hurting someone.

you are quite within your rights as he has verbally announced his intention to criminally damage your drone; therefore footage of his attempt to hit it via slingshot is prima facie proof of attempted criminal damage; nuisance; harassment. If he rents, take matters up also with the landlord...

you should log matters via the non emergency police line, pay your solicitor approx. £100-150 to serve him a letter [police will then take matters more seriously] - and you may be able to serve him an injunction preventing [banning] him from using weapons against your drone.

If he has made any heated verbal threat, or waved a weapon in your direction while irascible [technical assault] in such a way you may be apprehensive of harm, another crime may have been committed; furthermore mayhap a disturbance of the peace by his actions.

There is also the matter of him recklessly discharging projectiles in a settled area- what if a child or baby were blinded by the projectile returning to ground??? you might contact the manufacturer of the slingshot re safety issues, and strength of firing. If your neighbour aims at animals e.g. cats, RSPCA and Police should be called in; if at birds, wild birds are protected under statute...again...a police/ council wildlife officer/rspca matter.....

What possible purpose has your neighbour got a slingshot for? it is a weapon, designed to harm.
I could however understand its use in firing fishfood into rivers for anglers to encourage fish towards their lines.

please note even though there are open fields, they are not necessarily public space - you would do well to complete a land registry search to identify the owner and get written permission for flight across the land... the owner might very likely be interested in a survey of his/her boundaries and welcome your hobby

offer to the nice neighbour to fly over their roof and guttering ... early identification of clogged gutters, missing roof tiles etc. prevent damage via rain/ gutteroverspill when addressed appropriately: and check with insurors whether house insurance might be reduced by this regular service ( worth trying... but insurors are pennypinching skin-flints[!])

if your neighbour is so aggressive, is he up to anything illegal? are they growing cannabis in their shed? or in a superheated loft [wow I love thermographic cameras!!! everytime the police fly their copter across town we know the drugs busts will occur within the 5 day image processing /evaluation delay. lol)

in addition, if your neighbour attempts to 'down' your drone... and threatens confiscation- this may well constitute an attempt to render into possession, unlawfully . . . attempted theft, but without audio and video, difficult to prove.

If it is a privacy issue, this is moderated if your property overlooks his garden, or if, from paths through the open fields, his rooms are able to be looked directly into [that's why net curtains exist...to assist privacy]. If your neighbour does not use net curtains, nor draw curtains closed for the sake of decency and privacy....then other matters ought be raised- it is no defense that 99% of the time the fields are empty where someone could see the interior of the property unimpeded [e.g. worse case scenario, you live next door to a naturist/nudist - statistically extremely low probability, thank God!]

Before embarking on legal recourse, ask your neighbour
1)why he hates the drone so much
2)what you [both] could do to resolve matters peaceably
3)whether it might be appropriate to warn him before launching, and if so, the best method for such communications.

some people may have mental health issues
e.g. Post traumatic stress in the case of ex servicemen [drone use may trigger memory of events suffered or seen, where drones were present during events]
or, in the case of paranoia/schizophrenia [the 'big brother is watching me' scenario]

in the latter, unstable behaviour is best reported to health/social services.

hope that helps. Happy drone-flying...and remember, if you need to 'throw the book 'at him: choose the biggest, thickest legal one you can use!

you are quite within your rights as he has verbally announced his intention to criminally damage your drone; therefore footage of his attempt to hit it via slingshot is prima facie proof of attempted criminal damage; nuisance; harassment. If he rents, take matters up also with the landlord...

you should log matters via the non emergency police line, pay your solicitor approx. £100-150 to serve him a letter [police will then take matters more seriously] - and you may be able to serve him an injunction preventing [banning] him from using weapons against your drone.

If he has made any heated verbal threat, or waved a weapon in your direction while irascible [technical assault] in such a way you may be apprehensive of harm, another crime may have been committed; furthermore mayhap a disturbance of the peace by his actions.

There is also the matter of him recklessly discharging projectiles in a settled area- what if a child or baby were blinded by the projectile returning to ground??? you might contact the manufacturer of the slingshot re safety issues, and strength of firing. If your neighbour aims at animals e.g. cats, RSPCA and Police should be called in; if at birds, wild birds are protected under statute...again...a police/ council wildlife officer/rspca matter.....

What possible purpose has your neighbour got a slingshot for? it is a weapon, designed to harm.
I could however understand its use in firing fishfood into rivers for anglers to encourage fish towards their lines.

please note even though there are open fields, they are not necessarily public space - you would do well to complete a land registry search to identify the owner and get written permission for flight across the land... the owner might very likely be interested in a survey of his/her boundaries and welcome your hobby

offer to the nice neighbour to fly over their roof and guttering ... early identification of clogged gutters, missing roof tiles etc. prevent damage via rain/ gutteroverspill when addressed appropriately: and check with insurors whether house insurance might be reduced by this regular service ( worth trying... but insurors are pennypinching skin-flints[!])

if your neighbour is so aggressive, is he up to anything illegal? are they growing cannabis in their shed? or in a superheated loft [wow I love thermographic cameras!!! everytime the police fly their copter across town we know the drugs busts will occur within the 5 day image processing /evaluation delay. lol)

in addition, if your neighbour attempts to 'down' your drone... and threatens confiscation- this may well constitute an attempt to render into possession, unlawfully . . . attempted theft, but without audio and video, difficult to prove.

If it is a privacy issue, this is moderated if your property overlooks his garden, or if, from paths through the open fields, his rooms are able to be looked directly into [that's why net curtains exist...to assist privacy]. If your neighbour does not use net curtains, nor draw curtains closed for the sake of decency and privacy....then other matters ought be raised- it is no defense that 99% of the time the fields are empty where someone could see the interior of the property unimpeded [e.g. worse case scenario, you live next door to a naturist/nudist - statistically extremely low probability, thank God!]

Before embarking on legal recourse, ask your neighbour
1)why he hates the drone so much
2)what you [both] could do to resolve matters peaceably
3)whether it might be appropriate to warn him before launching, and if so, the best method for such communications.

some people may have mental health issues
e.g. Post traumatic stress in the case of ex servicemen [drone use may trigger memory of events suffered or seen, where drones were present during events]
or, in the case of paranoia/schizophrenia [the 'big brother is watching me' scenario]

in the latter, unstable behaviour is best reported to health/social services.

hope that helps. Happy drone-flying...and remember, if you need to 'throw the book 'at him: choose the biggest, thickest legal one you can use!
I just hired this guy for my next "Percepted conflict"......

He is also more than likely indulging in an illegal act (UK) by shooting at birds with his catapult.

In the interests of peace, have you tried a polite conversation with him asking just what is his problem with you doing what you are doing? Maybe an explanation will solve your problem.

Get the plod on it anyway, let them decide who is more in the wrong. IMHO they will not have time for something as trivial as this, more serious stuff goes waiting. He is an arse, let him have it, the legal laugh hurts most!

If you've video'd him shooting at your machine, call the police and show them the video. As long as you aren't flying over his property, he has no cause to try to damage your property.
There is much more chance of him hurting someone with a slingshot (which may be a restricted weapon in your jurisdiction) than there is of your drone hurting someone.
I have to disagree some here. Even if he was flying over the property, that is not justification for them to damage your property. If someone pulls into your drive and you have it posted NO TRESPASSING doesn't mean you can destroy the vehicle. This is why we have laws and authorities to handle these situations. Now, if someone is hovering low over you and you fear of bodily harm, I'm sure you could legally take the drone out as long as you are not putting others at risk.

Get the plod on it anyway, let them decide who is more in the wrong. IMHO they will not have time for something as trivial as this, more serious stuff goes waiting. He is an arse, let him have it, the legal laugh hurts most!

The problem here in the UK is that all disputes with neighbours are recorded and have to be declared to potential purchasers if you sell the house - of course, that has a nasty habit if devaluing the property

The problem here in the UK is that all disputes with neighbours are recorded and have to be declared to potential purchasers if you sell the house - of course, that has a nasty habit if devaluing the property
Hence.... 1776.....

Reactions: Slackware
Hi there. When I get asked "What you doing? Why are you doing it? It's against the law. Blah blah blah". I just quietly engage them in polite conversation and try to keep them distracted while I carry on flying and recording my video footage, and if that does not work I land slowly in my own time. When I do land I begin asking them what authority they have ie. are you a policeman or are you a local authority official. Having made MY point I then leave...Well they started it. (",)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl