Neighbour troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
So I was flying my P3P the other day at home in my garden,
Where I live, just out the back of my garden, there is loads of open fields and nothing else,
I tend to lift off from the garden and head straight to the open fields out of the way of everything,
I heard the neighbour next door say that he was going to shoot it down when I come back to land, which had me worried,
So I was coming back into my garden to land, and I wasn't anywhere near him, he started taking shots at the phantom with a catapult ( slingshot )
When I heard him say this I set the video to record on the way back for landing in case anything did happen, ( which it did )
My question basically is:
Is he in the right by trying to shoot me down for landing in my garden
After being flying in open fields,
Or am I in the wrong for coming into my own garden to land with the video recording ?
I did read somewhere that take offs and landings were exempt from the 50m rule until it's airborne ?
I was going to call the police about this but thought that I would let it go this time as I wasn't entirely sure about the rules,
Has anybody experienced this or can offer me any advice
Thanks in advance
In the uk, should I add

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: chipchopper
Are you sure he was shooting the slingshot at the drone or at you? Sounds like "Reckless Endangerment".

Reactions: Liam_89
Well, I didn't want to call the police as I wasn't sure of my rights,
I didn't want to drop myself in trouble incase I was doing something wrong,
The video was recording on my return back to land,
We have a big 7ft fence between us and he was aiming the catapult up at the bird when I watched the footage,
I just don't know where I stand with this,
My other neighbours are cool with me taking off from the garden then straight over to the open fields,
Just the guy next door has a genuine hatred,
Any more input would be excellent then I can decide what I need to do
Thanks again

Well, I didn't want to call the police as I wasn't sure of my rights,
I didn't want to drop myself in trouble incase I was doing something wrong,
The video was recording on my return back to land,
We have a big 7ft fence between us and he was aiming the catapult up at the bird when I watched the footage,
I just don't know where I stand with this,
My other neighbours are cool with me taking off from the garden then straight over to the open fields,
Just the guy next door has a genuine hatred,
Any more input would be excellent then I can decide what I need to do
Thanks again

One of the neighbours from hell. There are a lot of them in the UK. Unless you live on or close to an airport flight path, you are within your rights to fly your UAV from your garden.

The 50m rule applies when airborne..for take off and landing, you're not supposed to be within 30m.of any person..see the extract from CAA regs below.

Article 95, (Small unmanned surveillance aircraft)

(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:-

• (a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
  • (b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
  • (c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft; or
  • (d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.
(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2) (d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

However, I think your neighbour sounds as if he's an awkward so and so, and he certainly has no right to try and shoot you down. If your garden take off point is more than 30m from his house you're completely in the clear....if it's a bit closer, why not have a word with him, and explain that you're not taking any photographs of his property, and ask him what his problem is. (Although it sounds as if he might not be someone you can reasonably speak to!)

So basically I should be ok to take off from my garden and fly into the open fields, then return back to the garden to land,
The phantom is well away from the guy next door when I'm coming back in, I'd just like to be sire before pursue this

Where is the projectile going to hit after it misses your drone? A sling shot is a deadly weapon whether it's on your side of the pond or ours. In addition does UK law allow an individual to "Take the Law in There Own Hands?" I would be recording his actions when you take off and land.

Reactions: Liam_89
Where is the projectile going to hit after it misses your drone? A sling shot is a deadly weapon whether it's on your side of the pond or ours. In addition does UK law allow an individual to "Take the Law in There Own Hands?" I would be recording his actions when you take off and land.

No, the UK does not allow you to take the law into your own hands......

This is in the UK not the USA.......:)

We tend not to shoot people over trivial matters ......LOL
Those of U.S. usually don't either.. but we DO in matters of leave my stuff alone (especially!!, on our own property). How do you over there think we got our country anyway?

Thanks guys that's great to hear,
I do have the video and I took a still from the video of him taking shots at it with the slingshot,
But I was unsure if I was in the wrong, as basically I was recording someone when I was coming into land,
I have the evidence of him shooting projectiles at the bird with the video recording,
But am I wrong for recording him,
Example... data protection etc...
Thanks again
Just want to get things in order before I call the police

I do have the video and I took a still from the video of him taking shots at it with the slingshot,
But I was unsure if I was in the wrong, as basically I was recording someone when I was coming into land,
I have the evidence of him shooting projectiles at the bird with the video recording,
Thanks again

Here, if you are outside in public view "There is no perception of privacy"

Thanks again

No, you are not wrong, you did the right thing with the video. That is evidence should you involve the local plods. :)

Get a Parrot Mambo and defend yourself with the cannon:

parrot_mambo.jpg

Parrot-Mambo-Espa%C3%B1ol-Review-y-An%C3%A1lisis-380x250.jpg

Parrot-Mambo-Cannon-Image-2.jpg

I just got one last week to fly indoors when the weather's bad and I'm reluctant to say I'm having more fun with it than with my P4 in some respects :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.