Need help analyzing my flyaway....

Reaction score
Just when I thought it wouldn't happen to me...
Here's the story. P3P, I have about 70 flights under my belt. I paid for Litchi the same day that the latest firmware came out, because I really wanted ground-programmable waypoints as an option. I had about 7 successful litchi flights, including 2 good flights earlier the same day.
Flight: Saturday afternoon, around 5pm. I took off from my patio like I have at least 20 times before, and shot up to about 150ft to get well above the many 100 foot trees in my neighborhood. My typical routine is once I am at altitude I will then flip the switch from P to F, and then load a waypoints mission. Before I could even get to that point, I looked up and noticed the P3P drifting forward (camera view) really badly to the west (we are talking probably no more than 20 seconds after takeoff). I double-checked the switch - definitely in P mode. I pulled back on the stick towards me which halted the drift, but it wasn't coming back - at least it didn't appear to be. It was almost like I was pulling against an unseen force - like wind - except it wasn't windy, just a breeze. It was over trees, so I couldn't just land it where it was. I don't really recall, but I must have changed the orientation of the phantom while trying to get it back to me, because when I let go of the sticks, it now started drifting off in a different direction.

At the time, it didn't occur to me to try steering it to see if it could be controlled. In my mind, I am almost at last resort, and try an RTH via the hard button...it continues to drift away from me, while beeping. At this point I take off running - out of my back yard, down the street, and down another street, hoping to intercept it. When I get to the third street, I see that the phantom is now at about 50 feet, and about 5 feet away from running into a tree. I throttle it up and it narrowly misses the tree. I had just enough control that I was able to get it into the middle of the street while it continued its RTH descent. When it got low enough, I darted out and grabbed it, before killing the motors with the throttle fully down. This is all in a Florida suburban neighborhood by the way...no cars on the streets.

That was the last time I flew it. Since then, I have downloaded all of the FLY logs, and also the CSV off the tablet (NVidia Shield). I uploaded the CSV to flightreplay.com to view it, thinking that it would show stick inputs, compass values, IMU values, RTH engaged, any errors, etc, but it only shows the flight path.

Again, this was all done in Litchi, so I don't have any of the corresponding logs that DJI Go gives you. It was all recorded, but not much to see other than an extremely tilted horizon at one point (never seen that before), and the part where it almost hits the tree. I did shoot an email to Litchi support telling them what happened and asking for assistance in troubleshooting. I got a reply back a few days later simply saying that it couldn't be Litchi, but not much else. Not really the great support that I had been expecting from what everyone has said, but oh well. I kind of agree that it shouldn't be Litchi since I didn't do anything other than keep it in FPV mode. Can anyone assist me in troubleshooting further?

Thanks!
-mmjax

Can you zip and attach the .csv file you have?

What firmware?

Compass Calibrated before flight?

If you hit RTH and it went somewhere else to land, perhaps a compass/gps issue. Where was your HP marked on the map in relation to where it landed?

btw, brief loss of control != flyaway. Perhaps you can update the title of the thread to something more fitting.

Last edited:
I had a failure with my P2 when using a 3rd party application to fly. It sucked because I had like 100 other flights with the DJI Vision app with zero issues. Personally, I won't be using another 3rd party application anymore. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the input guys.
Frank - I don't have access to the logs right now but I can send them over tonight, thanks. Fw v1.4.0010. No compass calibration for the past few weeks (no need, flying from the same location, 2 successful flights earlier that day)

Viral, thanks but it looks like healthy drones takes the csv from the tablet, not the bird, so that wouldn't have all of the logs in it, would it?

Bbfpv, I'm pretty sure the home point was where it was supposed to be, but I'll have to double check. Regarding the term flyaway, not sure what else to call it when it flies away, not under my control. Granted it's not as severe as some have experienced, but it did fly away.

Rmfa, Litchi has a lot of potential but I've definitely lost some of my trust in it. Still it does reinforce the need to do a full pre-flight check each and every time...

About three hours ago, I experienced the same issue "uncontrolled flyaway." Ended up in a tree despite using the RTH on the controller. Prop guards and string saved the day. I recalibrate prior to every flight. Also made sure Home Point is established.
About an hour ago, I flew it again. Re calibrated, set the home point and confirmed on the map. After numerous attempts at using the RTH, the P3P always descends at a point directly under the drone, not at its home point.
Any suggestions?

About three hours ago, I experienced the same issue "uncontrolled flyaway." Ended up in a tree despite using the RTH on the controller. Prop guards and string saved the day. I recalibrate prior to every flight. Also made sure Home Point is established.
About an hour ago, I flew it again. Re calibrated, set the home point and confirmed on the map. After numerous attempts at using the RTH, the P3P always descends at a point directly under the drone, not at its home point.
Any suggestions?
Have you checked the settings in the app?

Yes, everything I could find to recalibrate including RC, IMU, RTM verified on the map.

Here is the screen

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 503
Any suggestions?

Prop guards AND STRING?

What is string? (Why)

Ended up in a tree despite using the RTH on the controller. I recalibrate prior to every flight. Also made sure Home Point is established.
Any suggestions?

First, don't recalibrate on each flight! If you are in the same general area just leave it alone.
Second, it sounds like the only thing wrong is your settings - you choose (battery screen) what you want it to do at various levels.
Read the manual and understand every word of it.
Read this:
Hints and Tips Discussion - Phantom 3 Hints, tips and fixes

Do not use RTH as a general rule. It is an emergency function. In most cases you should be able to pilot the model home yourself.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
PilotHarry, the string goes between the prop guards providing additional protection between the prop guards.

cdronefly, I haven't been using the RTN function until today. But I am going to check those settings.

First, don't recalibrate on each flight! If you are in the same general area just leave it alone.
Second, it sounds like the only thing wrong is your settings - you choose (battery screen) what you want it to do at various levels.
Read the manual and understand every word of it.
Read this:
Hints and Tips Discussion - Phantom 3 Hints, tips and fixes

Do not use RTH as a general rule. It is an emergency function. In most cases you should be able to pilot the model home yourself.
Please specify and elaborate on your assumed analysis and share with the rest of us what exactly do you mean by "the only thing wrong is your settings..."?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl