Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

The FAA is the only agency that has jurisdiction of the US airspace. Just as they can't say who or who can not fly a plane. I do believe they can regulate where you can take off from and privacy issues. But these issues will have to be figured out over time. Most likely by the Supreme Court.

I live in Suffolk and there is no "license" requirement there either....

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.

I'm in Australia and judging on what we are seeing about things going on in America it's a wonder you never got shot for being a terrorist. :( . I try to fly within the Regulations applicable to the area I"m in. But that is not always possible as we all know regulations are made by people that don't have a clue in the first place..Let alone the capabilities of our Drones for Photography work and the built in redundancies in case of failure.
Fly Safe
Cheers
Ross.
People please... last warning here. We need to stay on topic. Any further off topic post will be deleted without notice.
Please see this post --> #120

Thanks for deleting my post.. There was nothing in it that broke the rules .. What is wrong?? I would like an explanation from an Admin please....

Thanks for deleting my post.. There was nothing in it that broke the rules .. What is wrong?? I would like an explanation from an Admin please....
Not that this is the place for asking your question but it was deleted as it was off topic and there was a public warning given by myself, an admin. Please PM me if you have any questions. Thank you.

Let me address this here. I see you are new. Welcome and sorry for the rough start. Sometimes threads can get out of hand from off topic post. Most threads don't get this kind of attention but this thread is one of those hot topics that gets extra care to be sure things don't go off track.

No worries I have been an Admin on a site with over 2,000 members and totally understand you perspective. I'll spend a bit more time looking around and familiarizing myself with the way this site works.. Forums are an invaluable part of any profession or hobby and there can be some very passionate people and some pains in the arse on them so I endevour to find the correct thread in future.
No harm done
Cheers and Safe flying
Ross.

That's incredible!
It is. Some would say the long arm of the law knows no bounds, even international ones. Actions have consequences. When you repeatedly poke the Bear, better expect him to poke back in mysterious ways! :eek:

Last edited:
If you're doing property sales or survey work, this could be a great addition to your kit. I also think that you would not need to have full certification as it is tethered and also not dependent on gps. No flyways here. What would the law say about this one?

Products – Fotokite

A tethered drone does (at least for now) get around some of the current regulations but it also brings with it a few new regulations.

You still can't fly over people etc.
If the "tether" is longer than 149' is has to be equipped with high viz blinking lights the whole length of the tether every few feet (can't remember the exact spec on spacing).

Keep in mind I'm not an aviation attorney and the above information could be out of date because it's not something I've read about in a good while.

Federal Law supersedes any state law and definitely any local county or city laws! If the FAA says you don't need a license to fly for fun then whgo the ^*^& are they to say otherwise! Just my opinion as I am not an attorney!
I have a notebook that I keep with me at all times (because I fly commercially) that has maintenance records, Pre & Post flight checklist etc. In that notebook I also have a copy of current federal guidelines for flying my drones. It's not a full copy but highlights the main points. I have showed that many times to officers who tried to tell me that they have laws preventing me from flying. Once I pull those out I'm usually told to have a nice day or have a 30 minute conversation with the officer about the capabilities of my drone. Why argue with an officer just because he may not know the laws around flying your drone? If you are flying in front of a police HQ then you are just asking for someone to come out and challenge you! **** Move! Like someone else said...why poke the bear!

Similar in comparison to this situation, by these federal guidelines and regulations, jurisdictions, etc - does let's say, a township park have the right to outlaw drone/rc flying in the park, and also to fine for flying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tethered drone does (at least for now) get around some of the current regulations but it also brings with it a few new regulations.

You still can't fly over people etc.
If the "tether" is longer than 149' is has to be equipped with high viz blinking lights the whole length of the tether every few feet (can't remember the exact spec on spacing).

Keep in mind I'm not an aviation attorney and the above information could be out of date because it's not something I've read about in a good while.
But it's not a 'drone' it's a kite.

Reactions: cfd701
Similar in comparison to this situation, by these federal guidelines and regulations, jurisdictions, etc - does let's say, a township park have the right to outlaw drone/rc flying in the park, and also to fine for flying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The consensus seems to be that the land owner or 'guardian' can restrict/prohibit the use of the land for operations (take-off, landing, etc.) but not the airspace above the land. Leaving some to consider flying over the land from an adjacent spot.
Thus it would be plausible that if they can regulate then they can fine for violations.

But it's not a 'drone' it's a kite.
Nope :) It's a UAS tethered to Terra Firma. Kite has no Remote Control or Propulsion System.

Depends on how pedantic you are about the definition of 'remote'.

The device is in one location and the controller (device, person, etc.) is in another. Just cause there's a physical link doesn't necessarily mean it's not remote.

For example.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl