Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Besides, I thought the OP was regarding local ordinance vs Federal/FAA rulings, and not a platform for cop appreciation - am I right? And I agree with a previous poster- that FAA regulations should supercede/overrule town/local ordinance... Being as it's the FAA that controls airspace, not Joe Blow: County Official

Sorry if I inadvertently changed the topic. I was reacting to the, " don't these cops worry about real crimes," comment. I also apologize if some of my posts came across as harsh and skeptical.

Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.

Excuse me but if the police would tell the people who lodged the complaint that they are wrong (if in fact they are wrong), the number of silly complaints might go down too as well as complaints just because a neighbor doesn't like drones. You don't know how this guy was with the police as well as you don't know what the complaint was either. It sounds almost as if you are automatically blaming the drone operator without justification.

I have no information on the way the officer / deputy handled the incident because I wasn't there but I'm guessing if a citation was or could have been warranted the rules of evidence would apply. My guess is if you got such a reaction from the official right off the bat you gave him some lip or you've been spoken to before about the same issue. ( There are of course ******* cops out there but generally speaking they want to do there job and get out ) Of course you'll deny that but whatever. That's why I love body cameras.

The word "stealing" and maintaining an object of evidence are something you need to learn. In most towns where an ordinance is passed limiting drone flight a simple photograph of the drone will suffice. In other municipalities corporation council or the states attorney's office may request the collection of the drone till prosecution.

Even in this statement of yours, you're just guessing. You even say that but then you go on to say the OP was in the wrong. Something is slanted in your statements. I disagree with you just based on your slanted narrative. What evidence? Really? A phone call? Or was it the complaint that was evidence? Don't forget, you are just guessing, remember. Check your first sentence. A guess won't hold up in court or anywhere and it doesn't hold up in the court of public opinion either.

Excuse me but if the police would tell the people who lodged the complaint that they are wrong (if in fact they are wrong), the number of silly complaints might go down too as well as complaints just because a neighbor doesn't like drones. You don't know how this guy was with the police as well as you don't know what the complaint was either. It sounds almost as if you are automatically blaming the drone operator without justification.

I agree but often times it doesn't work that way with complainants. Especially with consolidated dispatch centers where the ordinances vary from town to town. Centers monitor traffic for multiple towns and often chose to let the officer handle the response.

I was only playing devils advocate to shed light on both sides as people sometimes don't understand our policy to respond if a complaint is lodged in my area. Pure speculation as to a potential ordinance in effect. I don't know that.

I'm a drone pilot advocate. I'm not against you.

Keep reading the other posts people. You're hung up on this one post without reading on. It's been clarified already.

Officers around the country get sent on calls they know are without merit. It's part of the job. If we can turn it into a learning experience then great.

Once again I do not condone this officers reaction and verbal response if in fact it is an accurate description of what happened but I know better than to judge without knowing both sides of the story.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that isn't what you implied on your first post. Best to let all the other comments go now without any further comment on your part. That will put it to bed. Like you said, it's been clarified. Nuff said.

dont these cops worry about real crimes ?
Were they Red Hats? Sounds like it.

Red-Hats-e1454828713600.jpg

My policy is to fly "under the radar." You may be within your rights 100%, but if being hassled you're bothering some neighbors. Fly elsewhere and try not to let anyone see you takeoff or land, or generally disturbing anyone. Like someone else said, flying at home gets old right quick in terms of video which is the primary reason I take the bird up.

As far as I know you are within your rights in Suffolk to take off and land in your yard, so I get it,. Regardless, you're annoying someone, so just fly elsewhere and everybody happy happy happy.

Reactions: cfd701
I wasn't born a cop so your assumption of never being on the other side of a bad cop is wrong for starters. Being a minority didn't help while growing up either but my experiences showed me what not to be. This has given me a platform to teach others.

any cop that's harassing a drone pilot is bored. I would take this guy to task, contact their twitter; make sure they know, that you know the law. I support our boys in blue, but not for a second when they cross the many lines they seem to regularly cross.

Towns and counties are great.... they can have a bunch of knuckle heads who have the abilities to make regulations. They can be totally clueless but because people like them, they all of a sudden have this power. You then have _some_ police officers who think they can harass people who are doing things that they don't personally agree with. Nothing but an abuse of power. What I would do if I were you... I'd set up a meeting with the police chief in your area and have a sit down to discuss that officers abuse of power. If you don't, they will just continue to harass you and others. I'd also make it a point to attend any meetings when they discuss (illegal and otherwise) laws against drones in your area.

Ah, good old Suffolk County... where they make regulations even when they _know_ they are illegal and for illegal purposes. They tried to make that law against taking photos with a drone. I can't say they listened to me personally but I did send emails to everyone on that board and pointed out that they could not regulate airspace and could not violate the 1st Amendment. All of a sudden they changed the wording as not to make it illegal to take photos... just fly drones (they still ignored the FAA issue). However, they did not even bother to remove the objection to photos from the explanation of the regulation. So _clearly_ the intent of the regulation is still not to allow people to obtain photos from a drone. They don't even try to hide that fact.

Few things piss me off more then idiots who thing they can regulate people with illegal laws. Especially when no harm is being done. They don't like something... make a law against it. What they are _really_ doing is making a law just so they can bully people. Gee, OP... sound familiar? No one would prosecute you for flying but these illegal laws give the police the ability to _threaten_ you into not flying.
Go buy a handful of cheap quads and fly in front of your house. When police come and say they are going to confiscate it give it to them. Soon as they leave crank up another one. When they come back give it to them....pretty soon neighbor will give up and police will start getting chastised for making frivolous dispatches on BS ordinance!

There is nothing "anticop" about what he's saying, sir. I very much support our police, but you seem to have the attitude of "either you are with me or you are against me." If you give me "lip," you're gonna a pay. You seem to think that intimidating people rather than being a positive part of your community is the way to do your job. At least, that's how you come across to me. Like I said, I am a huge supporter of our police, Sheriff and State Police. But they don't come up to people looking for a fight.

This is closer to reality. There's a lot of entitlement to power out there, they a public servants, and their job requires them to look at things impartially. A lot of people aren't up for that, it's a tough job too

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.
Federal Law supersedes any state law and definitely any local county or city laws! If the FAA says you don't need a license to fly for fun then whgo the ^*^& are they to say otherwise! Just my opinion as I am not an attorney!

Federal Law supersedes any state law and definitely any local county or city laws! If the FAA says you don't need a license to fly for fun then whgo the ^*^& are they to say otherwise! Just my opinion as I am not an attorney!

The unfortunate thing is that the State, County, City, or Municipality can and probably will arrest, give a citation, or other issuance to this problem to you. Then it has to be fought in court before and if the Federal Gov't will supersede on your behalf. You have to get attorney's to fight the case and hopefully, you will win. Can't just show them they are wrong. They don't care if you are right even if you show them in their law books. So, this is the very unfair part of our justice system. You need $$$.

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.
Here here is some support. This is what ever cirizen should do. Stand up for your rights.

@GadgetGuy added...
In a very strange twist of fate or Karma or revenge, the guy who made this video is now dead. He and his girlfriend allegedly committed suicide in Tijuana, after fleeing to Mexico, following being charged with sexually abusing a 15 year old girl. State Department confirms deaths of Adam Rupeka, girlfriend. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: StefanL and NRJ
No i was being nice as possible i wouldnt talk back to the cops im 37 years old. actually the cop that was giving me a hard time not letting me even talk (400 pound cop) the cop driving was laughing at him. He was nice that cop. i live in a small town called port washinton and im surronded by water so when i bring the droin straight up i have beatifull views. guess i just wont fly it on my block.
FYI: It's Drone aka: UAS. Not Droin, just happened to catch that twice in your messages. Have a Great Day flying!

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here here is some support. This is what ever cirizen should do. Stand up for your rights.

Great information and video. I have seen this type of discussion with police on various other video's. The cops have brainwashed us into thinking we have give up all our information just because they ask us. This drone operator is exactly right. If there is no probable cause of a crime, you do not have to give your information or tell them what you are doing. Good for this guy whoever the OP was.

I got a P3P 2 months ago. You have to buy a AMA license. They are $75 per year. They give you automatic insurance up to $250,000. I heard on Alex Jones, InfoWars radio show, if you are caught flying a quad, without a license, you are subject to a $20,000 fine. So make sure you have the AMA license before you argue your right to fly with local police, or it could cost you $20,000. I believe this is a federal law, coming from the current WhiteHouse

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
(To clear up some bad info) You seem to have some misinformation here. Joining the AMA is completely voluntary. All you need to do as a hobby flyer in the U.S.A. is to register the UAV with the FAA for $5. That is all. Also, the AMA insurance is supplemental insurance, not primary. I recommend joining the AMA but it is completely voluntary. Take a look here for more FAA registration info - Fly for Fun

As far as the OP goes, there is a rule restricting UAV use at the beaches, but I see nothing for other locations aside from the normal NFZ's (airports, stadiums, etc.). I would follow the advice of many of the users here have suggested... talk to the local PD and get clarification on the what, if any rules exist in your area regarding UAV use.

*This notice is for everyone. Since this topic has a high potential to go off the rails, please keep the debate on the topic of the OP's incident, not speculation of other events or comparisons to issues you may, or may not of had. Just like most UAV operators follow the rules, it is also true that most law enforcement officers follow the rules too. It's a often a thankless job that most people would not dare to do.

Remember... on topic. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik