my first crash - some advice

Reaction score
hi. yesterday my first ps3 crash.
I was in a very windy area near the beach. I tried to take off the drone as usual. the GPS signal was very strong. As soon as the drone came off the ground lost the GPS signal and the drone crashed on to a railing completely destroying the propellers.
Up to this point I can only say that it's my fault! ... but .... after the side crash the drone has been tipped to the ground with the engines at maximum. I failed in any way to turn off the engines, I risked and I approached the drone holding strong leg and then i disconnected the battery.
I lost a bit of confidence with my drone above all for the fact that I failed to turn everything off from the remote control. the drone works perfectly now, but I do not understand why it is not turned off by putting everything down on command. it's very dangerous.
i feel bad if I think they could be near my childrens.
I tell this story because until yesterday I was flying the drone close to myself without any fear but obviously I had never thought I could fail so quickly the gps. so guys ...... beware.

I think wind was the real issue be careful in strong wind. anything over 15mph is a bad thing. If the phantom goes in to ATTI mode , it will drift away with the wind and it's down to you to stop it..... :)

BTW Going up is the best thing..No aircraft has ever been damaged by colliding with altitude( freash air) :)

Reactions: gvsukids
I think wind was the real issue be careful in strong wind. anything over 15mph is a bad thing. If the phantom goes in to ATTI mode , it will drift away with the wind and it's down to you to stop it..... :)

BTW Going up is the best thing..No aircraft has ever been damaged by colliding with altitude( freash air) :)
yes..it's right. but i dont understand why the 4 engine was still running during shutoff from rc. from log in dji app i saw the right command in rc completly locked down to stop engine...but they dont stop :(.

hi. yesterday my first ps3 crash.
I was in a very windy area near the beach. I tried to take off the drone as usual. the GPS signal was very strong. As soon as the drone came off the ground lost the GPS signal and the drone crashed on to a railing completely destroying the propellers.
Up to this point I can only say that it's my fault! ... but .... after the side crash the drone has been tipped to the ground with the engines at maximum. I failed in any way to turn off the engines, I risked and I approached the drone holding strong leg and then i disconnected the battery.
I lost a bit of confidence with my drone above all for the fact that I failed to turn everything off from the remote control. the drone works perfectly now, but I do not understand why it is not turned off by putting everything down on command. it's very dangerous.
i feel bad if I think they could be near my childrens.
I tell this story because until yesterday I was flying the drone close to myself without any fear but obviously I had never thought I could fail so quickly the gps. so guys ...... beware.

Are you saying the drone wouldn't turn off when you initiated the motor stop command (CSC) on the remote (both sticks down and inward)? Did you lose remote control connection as well as GPS? As others have stated, if the drone loses GPS connection, it is up to you to control it in ATTI mode. And flying in strong wind is a risky proposition, especially when people are around. Flying upward when the GPS signal was lost might have prevented the crash, but wind is usually even stronger the higher you go, so it may have still been difficult to get under control.

Why would you want to fly in a strong wind? In my mind you are asking for trouble, plus having your children close by? Not good in my book, you have a responsibility to your children. Sorry if this seems harsh, just my opinion

No...the wind was not so strong....about 10kmh. No... I was alone without children or people nearest. But normally I flight with my children in open space not so windy....but now.... my confidence is not so strong as before crash.
The rc and wifi was at max strength. My distance from drone was about 4 meter. I know the crash is only my for my fault. I try to take off from a little bridge with two railing in the side.....too near to my PS3 with atti possibility.
To stop engine I used only left joy as usual....like a normal landing sop engine procedure....but engine still to maximum rotation speed.
Tomorrow I'll try to post the fly logs.

As far as I know you can hold the left joystick all the way down and it will not turn the motors off in the air. Only way to absolutely turn motors off in flight is both sticks diagonally down. So I assume the most you accomplished was decreasing the speed of the propellers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes. Today I call a technician DJI in italy. He said me that p3s don't have a head-down sensor to cut the power supply and if the drone was in not orizzontal position the engine try to make drone orizzontal going to power up some propeller. Than if the drone for a crash goes in head-down the only way to stop the engine is the procedure with both stick or take out the battery.
fortunately the drone remained inverted standstill with its engine at max power.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl