Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

So if your flying say 8 miles away and had a telescope could you see your drone?
Yeah I believe so, it's completely line of sight, once you start getting trees and everything in the way you can go mile or two,but it's going to start affecting the signal.

So if your flying say 8 miles away and had a telescope could you see your drone?
ok I'm going to bite. how powerful is the Telescope you going to be using. from the naked eye I can see my drone out to 2000 and I have to keep my eye on it because it's a white dot( very small white dot). with the telescope you could IF you can find it. now if you followed it out with the scope maybe.

ok I'm going to bite. how powerful is the Telescope you going to be using. from the naked eye I can see my drone out to 2000 and I have to keep my eye on it because it's a white dot( very small white dot). with the telescope you could IF you can find it. now if you followed it out with the scope maybe.
lol I wasnt going to use a scope ;) No i just just trying to see if he had perfect line of site with his drone... Because where im having issues its heavily wooded so i think that is my issue.. Im going to go to a small mountain and see if I have better than 2300 with strait LOS.

lol I wasnt going to use a scope ;) No i just just trying to see if he had perfect line of site with his drone... Because where im having issues its heavily wooded so i think that is my issue.. Im going to go to a small mountain and see if I have better than 2300 with strait LOS.
I knew exactly what you meant Jamie, that's why I answered that way. I do believe it is complete line of sight and I think most 8+ mile flyers have to have that. And Phoenix, you're right, you could not see it at 8 miles even in a spotting scope. But the fact that you're flying with trees obstructing your signal is most likely what you're getting problems from Jamie.. There's one path here right outside my door that was a great path all through the winter and early spring, but now with so many leaves on the trees I don't even bother with that path

MT how are you holding the controller I did not see where you stated if my hand , sling or tripod. This maybe a big difference. If you're not lining it up straight.

Standing up, using a harness. I'm used to using windsurfers, so I'm fairly conscious of LOS. As I stated before, I fly from a wooded area; I was just hoping for better penetration. I didn't expect to lose range though. This panel must be more focused than windsurfers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've gone out to rolling hills outside if Phx and it's great. Find a nice place over looking. I was having to much fun and almost had to go get it. Flow it on one flight over 40000 ft not straight out. The farther was 13000 and landed it with 6%.

not that I know of you can still control it to a point. I just made sure I was high and kind of glided it in. You can still go forward and turn just can't climb. I landed about 70 feet from take off point. Db said that close enough to call a good return. Now I have had to walk a few times 1200 most. I was testing a battery I just got used. to see how good it is. I was able to keep it flying till it hit 0%. now this was with the DJI app for the Phantom 2.
0610161135c.jpg
5 feet up and the motors stopped dead.I ran and grab it.
and the battery felled, two bad cells.

Jamie I know Procharger asked also back did you try and walk around your garage and take the house out of the line of sight. You maybe able to see it but if your controller is down around your chest the house maybe blocking the signal.
I've started to loss a signal and adjusted the antenna and held the controller over my head looking up at the screen to see if that helped. If someone seen me :eek:

on that flight I was using my P3a with no mod's, still under warranty till Dec. Only thing I was using was a wind surfer. This is pointing out if you have a good line of sight. You can fly till it drops and at 7% it was dropping. The wind surfer was a home made one.
IMG_20160414_184057520.jpg
But its proved it works.

Reactions: Jamie Chick
you'll need to tilt the panels down more. Not sure if this is how you have it setup out in the field. Db has found to have them aiming at the horizon or a little above it. and fly in that direction. it would help you if you had a cover over the screen. I found a box that fit my tablet and put some Velcro on the bottom of the box and under side of my tablet.

Reactions: Ed209
no that's not how I have it in the field I'm usually holding it so it's usually aimed a little bit down I have to build the mount a little sturdy though

It was really way too windy to try a long distance run I don't think I'll ever be able to compete with you guys unless I climb a mountain LOL I do not have enough straight land to try it but I did get to about 3500 feet today at a different location before I lost signal in my aircraft disconnected. When it disconnect like that does it automatically return to home because I lost it for a good 20 to 30 seconds until I went much much higher

when your drone losses signal with the controller ( I think 5 second)and not the video or telemetry it goes into what you have it setup to do. most have it setup to RTH. you can have it hover or just land. The first time you loss signal your sh*tting blocks. I lost both for about 1 minute. Nothing on the screen. I'm looking and looking and then it popped up coming back. A lot of people say don't trust the RTH. Maybe on other drones but I've never had a problem with mine unless it runs out of battery or runs into something in it's way coming back. I have my Go Home Alt set at 90 feet. You want to set that at what ever you feel comfort at ( tallest tree).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3