Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Tested my new Terminator kit from HorizonFPV. Absolutely amazing. I also added two Sunhans 2,5 W boosters and went 8 km and back full signal on both RC and HD - didn't want to push it more as I had a head wind on the way back. I decided to use it with tripod due to reason I use iPad Pro with it and it's a bit heavy combination but it is worth.

I just received my Maxx range panel, and got it installed, Wednesday afternoon. Due to high wind, I was only able to run a short test to make sure I didn't destroy the RC during the install. Wind is still too strong to do a long range run, but it occurred to me that, prior to the install, the HD signal was my limiting factor on distance. So my question is, will these panels affect HD signal strength/reception at all, or will I need a bird-side booster for this?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Mind trick - it will help. As others have posted on here, think of it as a hearing aid :)
Remember Jakes recommendation - if you have the 32 channel hack loaded make sure to use Auto for HD channel selection while using the Maxx Range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mindtrick
Mind trick - it will help. As others have posted on here, think of it as a hearing aid :)
Remember Jakes recommendation - if you have the 32 channel hack loaded make sure to use Auto for HD channel selection while using the Maxx Range.

I thought you had to have it set for manual so you could choose from the higher channels, otherwise the auto setting only selects from the original 20. Is this correct?

I thought you had to have it set for manual so you could choose from the higher channels, otherwise the auto setting only selects from the original 20. Is this correct?
I tried using custom channels and picking some of the higher channels. This was when there were only a few people who had these panels and not much testing results posted by the masses. I found that setting it to auto worked best. I would sometimes get signal issues when getting out past 6mi. On auto it's fine. The antenna works so well that I don't have to fuss with selecting custom channels anymore.

I just received my Maxx range panel, and got it installed, Wednesday afternoon. Due to high wind, I was only able to run a short test to make sure I didn't destroy the RC during the install. Wind is still too strong to do a long range run, but it occurred to me that, prior to the install, the HD signal was my limiting factor on distance. So my question is, will these panels affect HD signal strength/reception at all, or will I need a bird-side booster for this?

Let me put it this way MT, with my FPVLR boosted I could go for 8 miles with the old motors bird and have no HD signal issues, then with the new motors bird, around the five-mile area I would get some HD bars to drop a little bit and then I'd fight through it and it would be fine. With the max panel it doesn't matter which aircraft am flying boosted or unboosted I don't have any issues in most wide open areas. I don't recommend doing the bird side mod, I recommend getting one of these big panels and if you plan on going out past 8 miles go ahead and throw some boosters on

If you have the 32 channel hack and use auto it's still only going to use the original channels. It only uses the higher end channels on custom, but I found the 32 channel hack to be detrimental in most cases and it's just not necessary with these big panels

Let me put it this way MT, with my FPVLR boosted I could go for 8 miles with the old motors bird and have no HD signal issues, then with the new motors bird, around the five-mile area I would get some HD bars to drop a little bit and then I'd fight through it and it would be fine. With the max panel it doesn't matter which aircraft am flying boosted or unboosted I don't have any issues in most wide open areas. I don't recommend doing the bird side mod, I recommend getting one of these big panels and if you plan on going out past 8 miles go ahead and throw some boosters on

Thanks, DB! This certainly sets my mind at ease. After the installation, I suddenly thought I had wasted $180. Winds should die down by Saturday. With luck, I'll test this thing out.

Reactions: dirtybum

P.S., DB,

Maxxuav should give you a kickback for starting this thread. You, and those who've contributed to this discussion, have all been integral in persuading myself and, I'm certain, several others, to pull the trigger on either the MaxxRange, or Terminator panels.

Thanks to you, and all of the other posters for all of the great work, and input you share with the community!

P.S., DB,

Maxxuav should give you a kickback for starting this thread. You, and those who've contributed to this discussion, have all been integral in persuading myself and, I'm certain, several others, to pull the trigger on either the MaxxRange, or Terminator panels.

Thanks to you, and all of the other posters for all of the great work, and input you share with the community!
I agree[emoji41] you guys should private message Jake up and encourage him to give me some free stuff

First test of unboosted Maxx Range. Only ~3,600ft. Same flight a few days ago, 8,000+. Boosters on the way, in hopes I'm not just flushing money down the toilet.

First test of unboosted Maxx Range. Only ~3,600ft. Same flight a few days ago, 8,000+. Boosters on the way, in hopes I'm not just flushing money down the toilet.
Hey, mindtrick what sort of area are you flying in.

It's wooded, but I was getting much better distance with windsurfers.

I'm in the same boat, got very similar to standard with the terminator.

I've tried:
32 channel hack best channel
Manually selecting the best channel from the "Normal channels"
Channel selection on auto
Boosted (2x2W amps and 1x dual 1W amp) and unboosted
Changed the cables inside the remote
Changed the cables from remote to terminator
Tried a different terminator
Different lead from remote to iPad
2 different software versions of DJI Go
2 different firmware versions on the phantom

I max out at 2.5Km (about 2.6miles), in the same area I could frequently get 2.4Km stock.

I'm really out of ideas now so open to any suggestions.

I was hoping for more penetration, than with the stock antennas.

I did 8 miles just for fun 2 days ago(too windy for a long run) w/
Maxxrange boosted and this crane boom was DIRECTLY in my flight path and my signal was 100% even five miles past this
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465670355.740989.jpg

So its probly not the antenna Mindtrick

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures