Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Just as you've said...it's a tough one. Now that I know that Maxxrange can perform just as good, if not better, than my boosted DBS (smaller one) and boosted FPVLR setups, I have to decide on the following:

1) Use just one antenna. Maxxrange....but would have to deal with the bulk. I could easily pack the antenna into my back pack but only if I remove it from the controller and also remove the bracket. It's a little inconvenient for me. The advantage though is that this is a light weight package and I don't have to deal with another battery.

2) Use my smaller DBS antenna boosted. It fits into my controller case and I don't have to removed anything. Just remove from case, attache my ipad, and I'm ready to fly. And just as simple to put away when done flying.

When I can find the time to fly more often, I will update you guys and let you know my experiences with these setups.
Thanks for your thoughts. I decided to go with the Maxx uav smaller panel, that awesome booster/battery tray, and the full clean kit so I don't have to drill the tx. I already have one 2.4 SunHans booster and the dual battery from another mod, so it made sense to grab one more SunHans and fill out the mod. The question for me will be when I actually install the setup. I do love running stock at the moment.

If you have the entire thing set up with boosters in line, can you not turn them on sometimes to fly unboosted, but keep the cables intact and running through the boosters? No harm done doing that? With my yuneec mod, the tx didn't seem to like the boosters off if they were cabled in line and passing signal, albeit off.

Reactions: dsd317
Thanks for your thoughts. I decided to go with the Maxx uav smaller panel, that awesome booster/battery tray, and the full clean kit so I don't have to drill the tx. I already have one 2.4 SunHans booster and the dual battery from another mod, so it made sense to grab one more SunHans and fill out the mod. The question for me will be when I actually install the setup. I do love running stock at the moment.

If you have the entire thing set up with boosters in line, can you not turn them on sometimes to fly unboosted, but keep the cables intact and running through the boosters? No harm done doing that? With my yuneec mod, the tx didn't seem to like the boosters off if they were cabled in line and passing signal, albeit off.
No you cant just leave the boosters off

Sorry for the late reply DB! I had another busy weekend...unfortunately, did NOT involve any flying time. :(

I use crimp style connectors, but you still have to solder. Similar to this video:
Thanks Dan I was going to ask you how to do that. I got my sunhan boosters Friday and I am getting some good distance. Just got to get my self pumped up.

Reactions: Jfasig
Thanks Dan I was going to ask you how to do that. I got my sunhan boosters Friday and I am getting some good distance. Just got to get my self pumped up.

You're welcome! Hopefully, I'll have some time this week (after work) or weekend to fly. I'll let you know and maybe we can fly somewhere nearby.

Finally some good weather in store this week. More testing of the Maxxrange coming up [emoji3]

Reactions: Jtrjr
Click the envelope Icon at upper right of screen (start a conversation).

Db & Ed I have one for you and I know there is a few guys from the southwestern states that have this to control though. I did not even think about it till this morning I was doing a quick flight around my neighborhood and you want to talk about thigh trees. How about a 4 foot wall of water. I did loose my sign, the drone was about 800 ft out. Db I know you don't have a cactus in your front yard. I just walked around it and got the signal back. I thought I would share it with you all. Oh This was with my P2v+ and a DBS Etilite panel
IMG_20160509_084756238[1].jpg
IMG_20160509_084815521[1].jpg

Reactions: Reed L and dirtybum
Db & Ed I have one for you and I know there is a few guys from the southwestern states that have this to control though. I did not even think about it till this morning I was doing a quick flight around my neighborhood and you want to talk about thigh trees. How about a 4 foot wall of water. I did loose my sign, the drone was about 800 ft out. Db I know you don't have a cactus in your front yard. I just walked around it and got the signal back. I thought I would share it with you all. Oh This was with my P2v+ and a DBS Etilite panel View attachment 53102 View attachment 53103

Oh wow, that makes complete sense. Radio waves do not travel well through water. Having to send radio through water isn't really common for anyone except high humidity, rain, fog...I never thought that **** cactus is pretty much all water. It would certainly kill your range!

Oh wow, that makes complete sense. Radio waves do not travel well through water. Having to send radio through water isn't really common for anyone except high humidity, rain, fog...I never thought that **** cactus is pretty much all water. It would certainly kill your range!
Yes since I got completely blocked by a construction semi truck backing up right in front of me for 20 seconds 10 feet away from the end of my 15 turn super canon boosted and didn't drop a bar I'd say a cactus pretty much reigns supreme as ultimate signal killer[emoji41](and it does make perfect sense)

Cactus a signal killer? That's the least of it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some cats, dogs, or even humans buried in that thing! That cactus would be on my list to be removed entirely. But, maybe I don't have enough cactus appreciation. There can't be cactus huggers can there? That would be painful, I would think.

Reactions: Reed L and dirtybum
Last week I bought a DBS itelite + clean install kit. Will try it on one of my P3 before getting it for the other quads, as in fact I am just looking for stronger signal in short and mid-range situations. I do occasional long-distance flights (around 5km) just for fun, but I need better and more secure control of the AC during filming in low-altitude, tree-infested places and in-town situations. In other words, whenever and wherever interference is high and signal can downgrade fast, even with windsurfers on. MaxxRange looks awesome but I can´t deal with the bulk and don´t need record-breaking range since I fly original batteries only. Let´s see if it improves on the original antenna and by how much...

Boom!
p0msiQf.jpg

Thanks Fredz! 2 days to the USA from Luxemburg! Insane shipping!

Hmm, 1st flight up-boosted and not seeing an improvement. I flew a route from my house over the small neighborhood then into some long fields. I got to about the same distance where the smaller Itelite panel and the stock antenna's cut out, about 6,000ft. I'll need to run it a few more times as I didn't try and push through the signal loss. I was getting both RC and Video loss indicators in the GO app.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hmm, 1st flight up-boosted and not seeing an improvement. I flew a route from my house over the small neighborhood then into some long fields. I got to about the same distance where the smaller Itelite panel and the stock antenna's cut out, about 6,000ft. I'll need to run it a few more times as I didn't try and push through the signal loss. I was getting both RC and Video loss indicators in the GO app.
Thank you for posting the results as any information that we can read involving others experiences with these antennas is useful. Would you mind giving a few details about the kind of area that you're flying from,like is there a wall of trees 300 feet away after you take off, or is there a mile of open field before any type of trees or buildings. Things like this would help us understand the results are getting, because reading this post results don't make sense that you would get the same as a standard DBS panel. So I'm just kind of curious your environment.

I noticed I was getting weak signal alerts but I just keep pushing and it would come back. It seems more sensitive than the FPVLR antenna. Where you can go from full strength to 1 bar in a second and then back to full signal. But even during that ordeal video was still solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94