Mac Software coming for the Phantom?

droneranger said:
OK, first of all, DJI is referring to Mac OS 10.6 as "Lion". Uh, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. 10.7 is Lion. I sure hope they know the difference as it is not trivial. Secondly, why is everyone trying to virtualize Windows on a Mac with Parallels or VM Ware? Just run Boot Camp which is included free with every Mac and have better application compatibility. You have to own a copy of Windows in either case, and there is a distinct disadvantage in performance when virtualizing. Just sayin'.....

running bootcamp means creating a partition or external drive and rebooting your computer - and then having to reboot back to OSX again.
while it might run faster, speed is irrelevant for running stuff like the NAZA assistant and gimbal software.
There are a few free emulators as well, but overall they're much more convenient (and arguably easier to install and don't require partitioning)

Loaded P2 Assistant and it "appears" to work with OSX Mavericks. Won't know for sure until P2 arrives later this week. Hate being beta tester for DJI, as in appears to work, yet sends bad code to quad. Ordered Bluetooth module, so will be able to double check programming with phone app.

Gizmo3000 said:
droneranger said:
OK, first of all, DJI is referring to Mac OS 10.6 as "Lion". Uh, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. 10.7 is Lion. I sure hope they know the difference as it is not trivial. Secondly, why is everyone trying to virtualize Windows on a Mac with Parallels or VM Ware? Just run Boot Camp which is included free with every Mac and have better application compatibility. You have to own a copy of Windows in either case, and there is a distinct disadvantage in performance when virtualizing. Just sayin'.....

running bootcamp means creating a partition or external drive and rebooting your computer - and then having to reboot back to OSX again.
while it might run faster, speed is irrelevant for running stuff like the NAZA assistant and gimbal software.
There are a few free emulators as well, but overall they're much more convenient (and arguably easier to install and don't require partitioning)
Agreed, all that is true. However, in my experience, there are peculiarities about virtualization software that often make applications function in a different manner than when run natively. Also, I was specifically referring to compatibility issues, not speed (I agree that in this case speed is irrelevant). Finally, I'm assuming that one doesn't use the Assistant software on a regular and ongoing basis, rebooting into the OS shouldn't be a major inconvenience. I just wanted to point out out an option (Boot Camp) that I hadn't seen mentioned in the forums. Of course, use whatever method works best for you.

Phantom Pilots message boards and a few key posters have convinced me that its time to bite the bullet and purchase my P2V. So stoked as she is set to arrive this Friday! Stickers on order from Coloradosky... Is it necessary to use any compound or liquid to remove the adhesive from the original stickers (should I put them on) or swapping between sticker sets? If so, what do you suggest?

Looking forward to some flight time this weekend!!

Thank you all for your continued contributions to these forums.

I just wanted to point out out an option (Boot Camp) that I hadn't seen mentioned in the forums. Of course, use whatever method works best for you.

Agreed. At the risk of being flooded with support requests, if anyone here needs help with Fusion (and possibly Parallels or VirtualBox) I'll do what I can. PM me. I've very familiar with Fusion and other VMware products and using virtual machines in general. For these assistant apps, there shouldn't be any fundamentally different behavior in a VM vs. native.

I guess it won't be needed much now, but I thought I'd put it out there.

installed the mac version for phantom .i have phantom 1 but the version is for phantom 2 so it would not pick up my phantom on the software like some say

I just received my P2 yesterday and have run the Assistant software on my Mac Pro running 10.9 Mavericks and it seems to work fine...I updated the firmware for the Zenmuse with it and all went very smoothly.

Hope that helps...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl