Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mac Software coming for the Phantom?

Discussion in 'News' started by Adam, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Adam

I noticed that DJI commented on their facebook page that they are working on Mac software and they would have more info "soon."

2. Gizmo3000

great to hear!

3. edunwody

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SimonB

****, just after I bought Parallels for the Mac ;-)

5. Gizmo3000

well, parallels will still come in handy for doing other PC stuff (particularly if you get a non DJI brushless gimbal)

But who knows when DJI will actually release Mac software anyhow, could e many, many months

6. Audaciter

But at least it would be reliable, like their gimbal. ;)

7. rwalt

Should have waited, I just bought Parallels. After many hours of fighting the DJI CONTROLLER being used by someone else error message, I gave up and gave in.

8. slugger

It's about time!

9. GearLoose

DJI has been promising Mac software for quite some time. If the date on that Facebook post is recent my guess is that they are just recycling the promise. I use VMware Fusion on a 2007 Macbook and haven't had a problem using NAZA Assistant.

10. sam_

When they complete Mac software, I will finally purchase then. hope it's soon

11. deluge2

While we wait for DJI to release Mac versions of their software (could be a looong wait), here's another option for using their current software on Macs, developed and posted by a helpful forum member:

12. jgourd

Mac would be really nice as I have a few of them and they are the dominant machine in my home. However Linux is king in my house. I don't suppose it will run under WINE? To turn on IOC I had to use my work laptop. Even better would be a Java applet or HTML-5 based app that runs anywhere.

13. stogey

+1 for WINE inquiry... has anyone tried running with WINE on Mac or Linux box?

14. UK_Paul

I'm running Linux.
    As previously asked has anyone set up the IOC software with Wine yet?

15. Pull_Up

I can get the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant to run under Wine without any tweaking (so I assume all versions of the Assistant software should run). What I can't get it to do is access the USB under Wine, so I can't actually connect to the aircraft. I don't think there is native USB support in Wine yet, but I'm not a linux power user by any means so getting past that is way beyond my skills and knowledge!

16. RidesWithChuck

I bought a used Dell lap top. It was the cheapest and easiest solution for this Mac user.

17. Byron Christopher

Wow, good news! Thumbs up for DJI.

18. Ksc

Ksc

It's been months and they don't have a Mac solution. Apparently even though Apple makes all their stuff in China, the Chinese don't use macs.

19. deluge2

Looks like DJI may be coming out with Mac OS X versions of Phantom software soon. See quote below for an extract from today's announcement from DJI regarding their high-end A2 flight controller. Of course at the moment the corresponding A2 download section still has only Windoze apps, but it often takes DJI up to a day or two to fully rollout new downloads.

Steve

20. droneranger

OK, first of all, DJI is referring to Mac OS 10.6 as "Lion". Uh, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. 10.7 is Lion. I sure hope they know the difference as it is not trivial. Secondly, why is everyone trying to virtualize Windows on a Mac with Parallels or VM Ware? Just run Boot Camp which is included free with every Mac and have better application compatibility. You have to own a copy of Windows in either case, and there is a distinct disadvantage in performance when virtualizing. Just sayin'.....