Lost signal - phantam 4 Pro LOST

Sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully you will recover your P4P by wind direction and wind speed. Out of curiosity what was your temperature at time of flight? I have encountered a similar event which occurred when I took off from a vehicle after calibrating compass, I was able to switch to atti mode and bring it back safely; later discovered taking off from vehicles or other objects can effect the GPS and flight charteristics causing UAS to go rouge. Did you calibrate prior to flight and what surface did you initiate flight from e.g. ground, structure, vehicle etc.

As a safe practice I always elevate UAS to 10 ft AGL and hover for a a short bit prior to performing a very close proximity flight to ensure there is no unusual flight charteristics.

Reactions: Lucone
In the lost scenario above and in ATTI mode, do you still have the small radar screen in the lower left-hand corner with the red arrow representing the phantom and the home point showing. With just this information you would be able to fly it back to home point. Is this correct or am missing something.

In the lost scenario above and in ATTI mode, do you still have the small radar screen in the lower left-hand corner with the red arrow representing the phantom and the home point showing. With just this information you would be able to fly it back to home point. Is this correct or am missing something.
Yes, that's correct.

Only if he realized he was in atti mode. From what we ascertained it wasn't on purpose and I think it happened so abruptly and without warning he didn't have time to properly react Or he didn't realize it dropped into atti at all

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Maybe somebody saw it and picked it up...any chance you put your name and phone number on it?

....the air temperature at the surface was above freezing (in the 36 to 37F range), and the RH was 65% (for at least several hours, centering on the flight time). So, his P4P was flying well within its environmental parameters.

But doesn't the "radar screen" in the lower left-hand corner depend on satellite data/reception to continue to show the home point and the red arrow and it's orientation as you fly it?

But doesn't the "radar screen" in the lower left-hand corner depend on satellite data/reception to continue to show the home point and the red arrow and it's orientation as you fly it?

I believe so, atti mode is one thing but total GPS loss would probably render it blind if you couldn't see it

No. It relies on the compass for the position.

Reactions: V tail
Just FYI.
My son is a FAA certified commercial drone pilot. He highly recommends practicing and being proficient in the ATTI mood. He flies in that mood all the time with the exception of certain camera shots that dictate differently.
BTW
Of the forums I have experienced, this is by far the best. There are so many folks here sincerely interested in helping out fellow flyers
Congrats.

My son is a FAA certified commercial drone pilot. He highly recommends practicing and being proficient in the ATTI mood.
IMHO, FAA certified commercial drone pilot or not, you should understand how ATTI mode works if you're holding the remote controller.

IMHO, FAA certified commercial drone pilot or not, you should understand how ATTI mode works if you're holding the remote controller.

I can't agree more. In the event of some catastrophic failure and its going down and all you have is ATTI mode it could save your drone but also people who might be in the area.

Atti mode isn't too hard. You just have to make wind and altitude corrections yourself which if you still have contact with the live feed should be easy to adjust for

I have flown a few times, once the signal was lost and I pressed the (return to Home) and it successfully returned home. However yesterday morning I tried again. It flew ... made it come home and I made it fly again. This time, again, weak GPS signal and then No Signal. I pressed on the Return home however it never came back. I have gone to the last point that shows on my video and cannot find it. When it loses signal, does it not automatically come back home? My video shows that it turned around on its spot but then nothing. I figuered this meants it crashed at that spot but nowhere to be found. Of course, the drone has no battery life so going there with the remote to aquire signal wont work. My wife purchased this for me for xmas and its already lost.

Any suggestions? Does it simply hover on the spot where signal is lost? The winds were picking up...so would that mean if it hovers on spot, the wind brought it with it.,

Did you fly beyond line of sight?

Reactions: David Kraft
If you buy the drone from Apple, some guy in DJI owners FB claimed that he just called the store, told his story, the store gave him full refund for his crashed drone.

Well for future reference getting an additional GPS tracker could be helpful. Best wishes bro.

Did you fly beyond line of sight?
Flying beyond line of sight is more a legal requirement. You could argue that DJI are selling the drone claiming its range is massively beyond this so should honour a replacement. I do totally agree regarding not flying beyond line of sight is normal flying practice by the way.

Did your Phantom not come with an instruction manual? I find it bewildering that you would you your brand new expensive bird without knowing what you're doing. This is the kind of thing that makes this hobby extremely difficult for responsible pilots worldwide.
Re responsible pilots, check this link and feel free to comment acordingly :) Hope link doesn't get edited out
PS the terrible filming is not the issue, its the dangerous illegal filming and replied to people stating this to the idiot

Flying beyond line of sight is more a legal requirement. You could argue that DJI are selling the drone claiming its range is massively beyond this so should honour a replacement. I do totally agree regarding not flying beyond line of sight is normal flying practice by the way.

The shortest range on these drones (in terms of the drone with the SHORTEST maximum range) the Phantom 3 standard go HALF A MILE (can you honestly see half a mile out in the sky?.....I mean if you're a fighter pilot with 20/20 vision that's probably normal but what your flying and looking for are much larger) and people wanting more boost the absolute crap out of that to 1-1.5 miles with mods to the antenna. Nobody really follows the line of sight laws. Kinda like nobody follows the no bikes/skateboards on sidewalks laws. They are there but no one is a jerk enough to enforce them (unless there is a bike lane then you might have someone who's a jerk enough to enforce it)

Yes, that's correct.

My last point I saw on my screen, the drone which was a red triangle, was actually pointing north west at the toilet bowl swirl...I didn't have anything after that toilet bowl. But when I downloaded the flight log for you, this is where I noticed the flight path it continued after the toilet bowl swirl. I spent 2-3 days searching the area of the toilet bowl swirl, then I searched your yellow area circle you sent. Is there a reason why my drone location (red triangle) was at the toilet bowl swirl and pth stopped there for me on the screen. I was quite surprised to see the path continue from there going east after the toilet bowl swirl.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl