Look what came in the mail today

1482462385777.png

He just opened the box.. Sorry bud

Neon Euc

My P3S is under the tree. I may regret not getting an extra battery. I've never flown so I'm looking forward to it. I've been watching YouTube videos for a few weeks and feel like I'm ready to purchase a mavic already.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lot of people make a big deal out of flying without GPS .... which to be honest is silly in my mind.
GPS only provides position and RTH ... flight is still hands on.

My view is fly the Phantom keeping in eye range for coordination and just get used to what it does when you move sticks. Just don't bang them about - smooth easy motions.

The beauty of the Phantom is that release sticks and she will stop and hover, even without GPS ... I accept that she will wander a bit of position then, but still acceptable enough you can control.

Nigel

My P3S is under the tree. I may regret not getting an extra battery. I've never flown so I'm looking forward to it. I've been watching YouTube videos for a few weeks and feel like I'm ready to purchase a mavic already.

lol I've been doing the same thing. I just bought a battery on eBay, it was the cheapest I found for original equipment. I still haven't opened the box, I think my wife would beat me lol

Reactions: Jack1926
Lot of people make a big deal out of flying without GPS .... which to be honest is silly in my mind.
GPS only provides position and RTH ... flight is still hands on.

My view is fly the Phantom keeping in eye range for coordination and just get used to what it does when you move sticks. Just don't bang them about - smooth easy motions.

The beauty of the Phantom is that release sticks and she will stop and hover, even without GPS ... I accept that she will wander a bit of position then, but still acceptable enough you can control.

Nigel

Good to know, thanks

Welcome BigD451. I think if were me I'd do all the preflight stuff the next few days, so you will be ready to fly Christmas morning. Things like charging batteries, installing props, registering the bird with DJI and the FAA registration task. That along with downloading the DJI Go app on your device.

Also, download the manual and read it. Then read it again. There is a bit of a learning curve on these things, and you must know this information before you fly.

Santa won't mind if you open the box and get started. Just don't fly until Christmas Day.

Good luck-- Fly Safe [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I don't think I can get away with opening the box, wifey wouldn't be happy. I will download the manual and start studying, great advice, thanks. I downloaded the app, ordered a case, and just ordered another battery, I think I should be good for now. What do I need to register it, maybe I can open it and re-tape it so she doesn't know lol

I don't think I can get away with opening the box, wifey wouldn't be happy. I will download the manual and start studying, great advice, thanks. I downloaded the app, ordered a case, and just ordered another battery, I think I should be good for now. What do I need to register it, maybe I can open it and re-tape it so she doesn't know lol

Need to open the box to register it with DJI. The retape idea won't work in this case. Just tell her you need to open it now to check for shipment damage. It's a long ride from China. C'mon, you can think of something to get started on it. Heck, you already know what it is....[emoji12]

Yep, you gotta check to make sure it wasn't damaged as you want to have an X'mas flight, but of course.. Say that to her after she had a few glasses of wine, as two things can happen

1) she will be all lovey dovey and let you

2) the wine will knock her out then you can open it *cough cough*[emoji6]

Neon Euc

Reactions: BigD451
You sure you did not accidently order a Droid instead of a Drone?? That is about the right sized box for a fully functional R2 unit.

Reactions: BigD451
Need to open the box to register it with DJI. The retape idea won't work in this case. Just tell her you need to open it now to check for shipment damage. It's a long ride from China. C'mon, you can think of something to get started on it. Heck, you already know what it is....[emoji12]

Okay, I opened the box when she left for work lol, I took pictures of any number I found on the Phantom, also grabbed the manual packet and took that to work with me to check out. I'm going attempt to do the registrations today, I hope I got what I need. There was no damage, everything looked great.

I hope my wife never sees this thread lol

Actually BigD, the registration of the bird with DJI is more of an 'activation'. She won't fly without it. This is accomplished thru the DJI GoApp when the bird is powered up the first time. You could always do your FAA registration early though. It's only $5 and takes a minute or two.

And for safety reasons, if you power up the Phantom INSIDE, it is best to leave the PROPS OFF. If somehow you hit the auto takeoff it will eliminate any unfortunate encounters while flying around the living room. Yes, I speak from experience. Had a nasty encounter with my ceiling fan that way. [emoji37]. Live and learn I suppose. [emoji106]

Actually BigD, the registration of the bird with DJI is more of an 'activation'. She won't fly without it. This is accomplished thru the DJI GoApp when the bird is powered up the first time. You could always do your FAA registration early though. It's only $5 and takes a minute or two.

And for safety reasons, if you power up the Phantom INSIDE, it is best to leave the PROPS OFF. If somehow you hit the auto takeoff it will eliminate any unfortunate encounters while flying around the living room. Yes, I speak from experience. Had a nasty encounter with my ceiling fan that way. [emoji37]. Live and learn I suppose. [emoji106]

Excellent advice, thank you. I registered with the FAA, simple process. I'll wait to Christmas morning to register the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart