Just Returned Pro 4+

you can get good ones and bad ones in everything you buy.
I had to send my first p4p back and got another one.
this second one works great.

I do appreciate and consider other folk's thought carefully. After some of the positive experiences I am leaning towards reordering. Is my only option Best Buy? Thought I read about someone on the forum doing it as a business and he had good reports. How does it work, say you bought from B&H and something really was wrong electrically. Does B&H consider it their responsibility to make sure the customer is served well, or do they just ship it to DJI as a middle man?

I have been waiting several weeks for a back order on a Pro 4+. It arrived tonight and I refused delivery. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have done a lot more reading and looking since I placed the order and paid on the dotted line, and have come to the conclusion that I just can't risk $1800 on a piece of electronics that DJI is showing significant quality control issues with it's manufacture. Add to that there seemingly poor customer support and it finally added up to no DJI for me until I am convinced that they have attended to improving quality control.
There are another couple of issues that also swayed my acceptance of the quad. The government is going crazy about the restrictions they are placing on 'drones.' It doesn't help that idiot crashed into the Space Needle in Seattle,which is located in a park, the Seattle Center Park. It's still making the news here. How many realize the 'workers' on the deck were placing the fireworks explosives for the New Years extravaganza at the Needle? Imagine what would have been the result if the drone had actually triggered some of the explosives.
Several towns is Washington State have flat out banned drones in the entirety of their city limits. They are now banned in State Parks. We have the killer whales here, the Orcas, and a new regulation is being drafted to keep drones over 200' away from the whales as the noise may be interfering with them. Can't fly them in the Bahamas somebody reported. And on and on ad naseum.
Saw on a You Tube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According the the manufacturer you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilots license to fly it. Maybe if there was a camera under it, it would be come more of a problem.
I really like the forum and will continue watching and reading. I am impressed with the helpful nature of the forum. The moderators are doing a good job of keeping the trash talk out of here.
Hope you didn't order from DJI they take months to refund on refusals.

This hobby is not for the faint of heart or those not willing to risk the investment. This is bleeding edge with tech and social behavior. BTW, folks freaking out have as much right to freak as we have the right to fly around them. Stay away from people works pretty well. And, learn to fly these things without GPS or the other tap and whatever. You will love actually flying and the added aids will be much more useful going forward. Three dimensions is much harder than two.

Reactions: Sfgiants24
I've had nothing but great experiences with my P4P+ out of the box. Also, check into B&H's return process. If you have cold feet about the drone, B&H might not be the easiest place for you to return it to. Best Buy probably has the best return policy for drones, but I'm not sure that you can get the P4P Plus version there. Only the P4P, if I'm not mistaken. Best of luck to you with your decision. Always remember, there are amazing places outside of the city and national parks that you can fly your drone in safely, and legally. If you get your part 107 UAS certification, you can also request authorization from the FAA to fly where you might otherwise be forbidden to fly.

I have been buying from B&H for years now. I continue to buy from them and purchased P4P there - no complaints. I was in Vegas a few weeks ago. Valley of Fire state park had sign at entrance "no drones" Too bad, that would be a great place to fly.
What about the ice cave south of fire valley? Fan a little hot air into it and viola, plane cave so no longer attraction.
I wonder what the objections were. lava rock could get damaged? drone would loose any contest.

Are those signs actually enforceable? (Let's assume USA-specific) I suppose if it's private property they can kick you out for any reason, including not obeying a badly-printed, arbitrary ""no drones" sign... But what about when they are on public property but there is no restriction of the area in the DJI database (for example)?

One specific example I'm thinking about is a "no drones" paper sign (the type anyone can print out of their home printer on standard letter size paper) that was on a visitor's center in a small scenic city (the scenic part was the mountains surrounding the city). Would a sign like that be enforceable? I'm not even sure that the visitor's center was government-owned since it really seemed like a place for tour operators to sell their packages...

I ended up respecting the sign, although I felt like I was following one person's made-up rule. Anyone know?
depends on where it is. some locals have specific requirements on sign size, placement etc. others have no signage law so you can ignore them, cops wont see it that way, but after a few broken bones and cracked skull you may get your trespassing charges dropped.
Trip to the county records and looking up the land deeds can tell you who owns it. but it may not be as easy as you think. municipalities like to hide behind front companies to bypass state laws that stop them from banning, just like big companies do.

My second P4 in the last 9 months . . . P4P+ is amazing and seems rock solid with the flying I've done so far . . new camera and features are worth the money. Blades still have that rough training edge but easily fixed. The new hub springs different and way better. You get a full 25min of flight now and still a bit of reserve to land . . and the 5 sided collision avoidance is pretty neat but unnecessary really if you know how to fly . . . but dji keeps pressing the limits of what you can pack into a 1kg package . . can't imagine what's next . . a good IR camera I hope

Reactions: Bill S
This hobby is not for the faint of heart or those not willing to risk the investment. This is bleeding edge with tech and social behavior. BTW, folks freaking out have as much right to freak as we have the right to fly around them. Stay away from people works pretty well. And, learn to fly these things without GPS or the other tap and whatever. You will love actually flying and the added aids will be much more useful going forward. Three dimensions is much harder than two.
This is right on point. I don't fly around my neighborhood, over crowds, into space needles etc. I'm into landscape photography, and the shots from the phantom are so amazing for the different perspective. I think it's inevitable that uav's will be banned most places. State and local parks are already off limits in my part of CA. I will hold off buying a P4P and continue to fly my P3P. I just think it's a bad investment.

This is exactly like any new hobby that becomes an annoyance to others. Some of my adventures have included Moto-X racing (too loud tracks closed, destroyed the soil), Kite flying (complaints from people in the neighborhood in fear of it landing on their property?} Scuba diving (killing the coral), Motorcycle riding (people cannot see you, too loud), hiking and backpacking ( creating too much run off from so many people hiking the same trails), Gardening (using non organic methods and poisons to control insects) the list goes on.

What about the ice cave south of fire valley? Fan a little hot air into it and viola, plane cave so no longer attraction.
I wonder what the objections were. lava rock could get damaged? drone would loose any contest.
I was there last week of December, weather perfect. Lots of people, parking lots full. Sure they are worried about noise and people getting hit

I finally got a Phantom that didn't have to be returned. Last June I bought a Phantom 3 Pro. It had to go back as it was a brick when it arrived. I ordered another one and it was a good one. Last November I sold it and ordered a Phantom 4 Pro Plus. It arrived with numerous issues. App problems, and the gimbal would initiate sometimes and sometimes it would not. I sent it back and ordered another one. This one came with the carton so badly damaged I had second thoughts but tried it anyway. This one wouldn't update the firmware. I sent it back and ordered a DJI Phantom 4 Pro (no plus this time as I didn't want to be stuck with an Android device and no options as to what I could have on it). This Phantom 4 Pro set up quickly and perfectly. The battery compartment is a perfect fit with no slop. I use an iPad Mini 4 which works just fine with DJI Go4 and the firmware updated perfectly without any problems whatsoever.

So now I have a Phantom that I can trust, it works perfectly and haven't had an issue with it. I think this one is a keeper, finally.

I agree with what someone said about DJI's quality control and customer service. It's not good and shouldn't be that way when we spend a great deal of money on these things.

Finally, as for buying from Best Buy? I like Amazon because you have a thirty day return policy with no questions asked.

Bud

FWIW I've owned both a P4P+ and P4P and both were flawless out of the box.

It's important to remember that a very large percentage of the problem posts are the result of either lack of understanding or someone whining with an agenda, and if you take them all as gospel then you will never own a drone of any kind. That's not to say that none of the reported issues are real, just that the view one gets from reading the forums is likely to be slanted highly (and inaccurately) negative.

Last edited:
To summarize .... many hundreds of thousands sold, dozens with issues reported on forums. $1800 is a big investment but it can be insured for loss and damage for approximately $60 a year through State Farm. Many areas are deemed to be off limits (restricted) but that also represents a fraction of a percent compared to places where you can fly safely.

I'm a firm believer in Amazon's return policies. No questions asked and they pay shipping both ways. Just make sure to save all the original packaging and return everything that came "in the box". They give you 30 days which is usually enough time to test fly a unit. My first P3 Advanced was returned for having a dead controller (no lights, no charging). My second P3 Advanced was returned for failure to update and making a strange noise when powered up. I simply checked one of a dozen boxes for "Reason for Return" as "Didn't work properly". Everything done online in less than 5 minutes with a return shipping label to print out when completed. The process gives you the option for a replacement or a full refund.

I have been waiting several weeks for a back order on a Pro 4+. It arrived tonight and I refused delivery. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have done a lot more reading and looking since I placed the order and paid on the dotted line, and have come to the conclusion that I just can't risk $1800 on a piece of electronics that DJI is showing significant quality control issues with it's manufacture. Add to that there seemingly poor customer support and it finally added up to no DJI for me until I am convinced that they have attended to improving quality control.
There are another couple of issues that also swayed my acceptance of the quad. The government is going crazy about the restrictions they are placing on 'drones.' It doesn't help that idiot crashed into the Space Needle in Seattle,which is located in a park, the Seattle Center Park. It's still making the news here. How many realize the 'workers' on the deck were placing the fireworks explosives for the New Years extravaganza at the Needle? Imagine what would have been the result if the drone had actually triggered some of the explosives.
Several towns is Washington State have flat out banned drones in the entirety of their city limits. They are now banned in State Parks. We have the killer whales here, the Orcas, and a new regulation is being drafted to keep drones over 200' away from the whales as the noise may be interfering with them. Can't fly them in the Bahamas somebody reported. And on and on ad naseum.
Saw on a You Tube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According the the manufacturer you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilots license to fly it. Maybe if there was a camera under it, it would be come more of a problem.
I really like the forum and will continue watching and reading. I am impressed with the helpful nature of the forum. The moderators are doing a good job of keeping the trash talk out of here.
That was a huuge mistake. The images are insanely clear and beautiful. flying restrictions put on by state parks, towns, or communities are bogus in my mind. The real restrictions are on your map. FAA is more worried about airport airspace.

My second P4 in the last 9 months . . . P4P+ is amazing and seems rock solid with the flying I've done so far . . new camera and features are worth the money. Blades still have that rough training edge but easily fixed. The new hub springs different and way better. You get a full 25min of flight now and still a bit of reserve to land . . and the 5 sided collision avoidance is pretty neat but unnecessary really if you know how to fly . . . but dji keeps pressing the limits of what you can pack into a 1kg package . . can't imagine what's next . . a good IR camera I hope

TWO cameras for 3D imaging on the fly instead of trying to merge multiple photos into one.
Sonic cannon to simulate mach 1 when you fly past.

My P4P has been great. And as with State Parks, I've flown in one before not knowing the rules at the time ... oops

I was in the same boat. I spent weeks watching every YouTube video (good and bad) and reading whiner posts. I found a lot had merit (idiots buzzing animals and spying) and a lot were just anti-drone people exaggerating the situations. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a P4P and am loving it. I have only flown a couple times as the weather hasn't been optimal, but both times I had people come up to me asking "Is that a Phantom?" and then enjoyed the view on the iPad with me while I flew it. I am all for educating the masses. I figure if I am at a park or someplace and a ranger or police come and ask me to stop, I won't put up and argument, it's not worth it to me (you could make the argument we need to stand up for our rights, but at the moment we don't know what those are exactly, better to play nice).

I understand people's apprehension, and it's the reason I won't fly at home in my neighborhood (well that and I live 2 miles from Paine Field). The first time I flew was at a friends house (she lives in a remote area with only a few neighbors), and she texted them to let them know it was us flying and we were not spying on them. Ultimately, they both came over to check it out and we all had a great time.

Reactions: Matchlock
FWIW: I got my P4P+ about 2 months ago and I love it. I have had absolutely no problems with it.

Likely because I read the manual and followed all guidelines. Never: "kick the tires and light the fires".

Like I said, FWIW.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor