Just Returned Pro 4+

FWIW I've owned both a P4P+ and P4P and both were flawless out of the box.

It's important to remember that a very large percentage of the problem posts are the result of either lack of understanding or someone whining with an agenda, and if you take them all as gospel then you will never own a drone of any kind. That's not to say that none of the reported issues are real, just that the view one gets from reading the forums is likely to be slanted highly (and inaccurately) negative.

Reactions: Nowelly
Smiller - Off the subject, but I read on one of the drone sites that the DJI monitor that comes w/the P4P+ will NOT accept 3d party apps, like Litchi. Do you know if this is true?

Woah, you sound like me when I am paranoid about what people think about me flying my drone. Just re-order the drone, stick to the rules and enjoy it (while the gov still lets you?) mate!

Reactions: Nowelly
Thanks for all the insights. Thinking that I might reconsider. To demonstrate how much I wanted this I already have extra batteries, a charger that will charge all the batteries in the same amount of time the DJI will charge one, and I have a San Disk micro chip to boost its memory. Oh! Marco Polo is also on its way. So the question...Other than Best, what authorized seller of the Phantom will take me out of the loop dealing with DJI's customer service if I have a non pilot error, legitimate problem? I want this to be fun and don't want a hassle about returning a defective Phantom or waiting weeks for repair and then arguments about its repair. Frankly, it ought to be perfect out of the box...If not, it should be replaced at no expense to the purchaser.
Am I dreaming or is this possible? I actually see this forum as the customer service arm of DJI. I would think more problems are solved here than from DJI!
Do you live in Seattle... (since you mentioned the Space Needle incident)? If you do, you could buy the P4P from the DJI store in Bellevue. They are an actual DJI company store and they have on site repair services.

Smiller - Off the subject, but I read on one of the drone sites that the DJI monitor that comes w/the P4P+ will NOT accept 3d party apps, like Litchi. Do you know if this is true?
Yes, that is correct. As it is currently being delivered you cannot install any additional software on the P4P+.

OK, Thanks! I'm kinda attached to my K1 Shield anyway. Flawless performance.

I have been waiting several weeks for a back order on a Pro 4+. It arrived tonight and I refused delivery. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have done a lot more reading and looking since I placed the order and paid on the dotted line, and have come to the conclusion that I just can't risk $1800 on a piece of electronics that DJI is showing significant quality control issues with it's manufacture. Add to that there seemingly poor customer support and it finally added up to no DJI for me until I am convinced that they have attended to improving quality control.
There are another couple of issues that also swayed my acceptance of the quad. The government is going crazy about the restrictions they are placing on 'drones.' It doesn't help that idiot crashed into the Space Needle in Seattle,which is located in a park, the Seattle Center Park. It's still making the news here. How many realize the 'workers' on the deck were placing the fireworks explosives for the New Years extravaganza at the Needle? Imagine what would have been the result if the drone had actually triggered some of the explosives.
Several towns is Washington State have flat out banned drones in the entirety of their city limits. They are now banned in State Parks. We have the killer whales here, the Orcas, and a new regulation is being drafted to keep drones over 200' away from the whales as the noise may be interfering with them. Can't fly them in the Bahamas somebody reported. And on and on ad naseum.
Saw on a You Tube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According the the manufacturer you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilots license to fly it. Maybe if there was a camera under it, it would be come more of a problem.
I really like the forum and will continue watching and reading. I am impressed with the helpful nature of the forum. The moderators are doing a good job of keeping the trash talk out of here.

[Saw on a You Tube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According the the manufacturer you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilots license to fly it.]

Someone is lying....FAA controls US airspace for any craft weighing more than 55 lbs.

I have been waiting several weeks for a back order on a Pro 4+. It arrived tonight and I refused delivery. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have done a lot more reading and looking since I placed the order and paid on the dotted line, and have come to the conclusion that I just can't risk $1800 on a piece of electronics that DJI is showing significant quality control issues with it's manufacture. Add to that there seemingly poor customer support and it finally added up to no DJI for me until I am convinced that they have attended to improving quality control.
There are another couple of issues that also swayed my acceptance of the quad. The government is going crazy about the restrictions they are placing on 'drones.' It doesn't help that idiot crashed into the Space Needle in Seattle,which is located in a park, the Seattle Center Park. It's still making the news here. How many realize the 'workers' on the deck were placing the fireworks explosives for the New Years extravaganza at the Needle? Imagine what would have been the result if the drone had actually triggered some of the explosives.
Several towns is Washington State have flat out banned drones in the entirety of their city limits. They are now banned in State Parks. We have the killer whales here, the Orcas, and a new regulation is being drafted to keep drones over 200' away from the whales as the noise may be interfering with them. Can't fly them in the Bahamas somebody reported. And on and on ad naseum.
Saw on a You Tube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According the the manufacturer you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilots license to fly it. Maybe if there was a camera under it, it would be come more of a problem.
I really like the forum and will continue watching and reading. I am impressed with the helpful nature of the forum. The moderators are doing a good job of keeping the trash talk out of here.
That is very sad the decision you have made. I have to confess that I had thought processes very similar to you: lots of "what ifs" went through my head (what if governments impost blanket bans on drones? What if I crash nearly $2000 of kit? What if some idiot posting aerial videos on YouTube kills/ severely injures someone with their drone and the aviation authorities step up, take note and implement punitive action on the entire hobby? What if I cannot get spare parts when I need them (e.g. a rotor motor)? What if someone gets all upset about me using my drone and reports me to the police for purely 'innocent' and legitimate uses - might I get in trouble/ get fined/ risk a day in court... And yardi yada.

It is, without doubt, a difficult decision because it is very expensive, and, a steep learning curve, ESPECIALLY with regards regulations and laws. However, I chose to take the plunge, and I chose to do that with my eyes wide open: IF we spent our lives worrying about shoulda/ woulda/ coulda questions, we will never end up doing or getting anything. The truth is, more people will die or get injured in car and motorcycle accidents, even drowning in the sea than who might get impacted by a drone, potentially. You are rights to point out that - and I make no bones in saying it - there are many irresponsible idiots, for attention, likes and YouTube hits - flying their drones in illegal conditions (e.g. At night), in cities, above properties or too close to non-consenting people, among other frankly stupid applications that pose a risk to the continuation of people using drones. However, I do believe that MOST people use their drones responsibly for specific purposes and follow their national laws and aviation authority guidelines ... I certainly do that, my drone is set up to not exceed 500 metres horizontal distance from my home point, and, no higher in the air than 122 metres (400ft) and, to be honest, this is AMPLE freedom to do some great photography and videography as I wanted this platform for. I have registered the aircraft, insured it, taken out DJI Care, and all other precautions - including phoning the police in advance of a flight IF I intend to fly in a location where overzealous citizens COULD call in and try to claim I was using it for anything other than legitimate reasons. There are many things you can do to demonstrate that you are following and upholding the law and regulations.

It is my hope that common sense will apply in general terms, and if people brazenly break the law/ aviation regulations then they get dealt with on a case by case basis rather than everyone get impacted by it. I cannot speak for your country, but, in my country (the UK) a common sense approach appears to be getting taken right now, and that is fine with me. there are many sites online that assist drone users to tell them where they can fly without problems. I think the US forbidding national park flights is insane, as these are wide open spaces... Are they banning helicopter/ small fixed wing aircraft flights, glider flights or parachuting, etc.? No - so double standards. The problem is, this is a very young industry that is fast evolving, becoming very popular, and authorities are acting rashly, and, the presence of a camera makes them paranoid also (I believe!). I love it for aerial landscapes, shooting video of beautiful locations, etc. You should maybe do your research, ask around, speak to experienced people, and then reconsider if you feel comfortable in doing so.

As for DJI 'customer care' (I quote it for a reason!) and quality control, well, I have to say my P4P came in perfect condition, is robust, well made, and works like a dream. The camera is superb, and I am used to using high resolution full frame DSLRs... I have been incredibly impressed with the performance of the new camera, which justifies the buy in itself. The drone is easy and safe to fly too, which instills confidence. DJI do need to massively improve customer care and, another bug bear I have - they are releasing new models of drone every 8 months and neglecting the fact that customers need spares that they have not bothered to put to market at the time of launch of the drone (e.g. LED flight light covers, spare rotor motors, camera parts, camera filters) - all of which are hard to come by for the P4P. In my opinion, if you are launching a new product that is easy to damage, potentially, then all the ESSENTIAL parts to keep it in the air and working should be on the market at the same time of launch. I have already sent some shitograms to DJI on this point, and even said that their young Steve Jobs wannabe board members marketing their drones need to stop marketing overtime and, instead, start thinking of winning customer confidence and loyalty. I hope they listen to these calls in particular.

Reactions: recsaysausaged

I didn't bother going for the P4P+... I thought that a fixed screen would be too restrictive and liked the idea of being about to change it out/ use different devices. Right now I am finding it very good with my Sony Xperia Z5 phone.

Sorry about all this. I happen to love the P4P, after a year with a 3DR Solo. Easily it is the king of the heap. As for quality control, just remember that very few people post a message when everything is going right. So, the board is preselected to make it seem like there are problems. No quality problems at all.

As for regulations, sure. This is just about where cars were when they were first appearing. Scared the horses, and I think one state required that a fellow walk in front of the "horseless carriage" with a lantern.
Exactly! I have a P3P and have NEVER had an issue it's been amazing!! As with anything, it's a very small percentage with a loud voice. There is no doubt however their Customer service can be greatly improved upon. You would think that since they are the king of the hill this billionaire 30 something would demand good customer service then he would own the industry!!

Saw on a YouTube video where some clip popped up while researching drone videos that you can buy a single seat turbine helicopter in kit form for about $40K. According to the manufacturer, you don't have to register it with the FAA and the pilot does not need a pilot's license to fly it. Maybe if there was a camera under it, it would come more of a problem.
PS I have a Drone Attorney I'm working with and the FAA is bullish on drones and the technology. They have moved amazingly fast to get to the part 107 license. I'm also a Private Pilot and had to deal with them in other areas, but I've been on a few conference calls with them and they realized the value of the sUAS and they just want a way to oversee it all. I think as more people are exposed them doing good! Saving lives in search and rescue, major use in industry cell phone tower inspection, pipeline inspection already HUGE in Agriculture and construction as more of the "Public " see them for the better good than evil some regulations will relax.

This is right on point. I don't fly around my neighborhood, over crowds, into space needles etc. I'm into landscape photography, and the shots from the phantom are so amazing for the different perspective. I think it's inevitable that uav's will be banned most places. State and local parks are already off limits in my part of CA. I will hold off buying a P4P and continue to fly my P3P. I just think it's a bad investment.
I am in the Bay Area as well. I love my new P4P+. Just wish that it would stop raining. (Can't believe that I just said that after the drought years.) :)

I finally got a Phantom that didn't have to be returned. Last June I bought a Phantom 3 Pro. It had to go back as it was a brick when it arrived. I ordered another one and it was a good one. Last November I sold it and ordered a Phantom 4 Pro Plus. It arrived with numerous issues. App problems, and the gimbal would initiate sometimes and sometimes it would not. I sent it back and ordered another one. This one came with the carton so badly damaged I had second thoughts but tried it anyway. This one wouldn't update the firmware. I sent it back and ordered a DJI Phantom 4 Pro (no plus this time as I didn't want to be stuck with an Android device and no options as to what I could have on it). This Phantom 4 Pro set up quickly and perfectly. The battery compartment is a perfect fit with no slop. I use an iPad Mini 4 which works just fine with DJI Go4 and the firmware updated perfectly without any problems whatsoever.

So now I have a Phantom that I can trust, it works perfectly and haven't had an issue with it. I think this one is a keeper, finally.

I agree with what someone said about DJI's quality control and customer service. It's not good and shouldn't be that way when we spend a great deal of money on these things.

Finally, as for buying from Bet Buy? I like Amazon because you have a thirty day return policy with no questions asked.

Bud
I think that DJI is dealing with manufacturing quality issues as they seem to have taken a manufacturing break until March. Smart folks that will get it figured out.

That's interesting mate, what did the police say?

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hi there mate - they were very helpful. They first ask for your details (name, address, make/ model/ colour of drone), then ask you where you intend flying and the purpose, and then they just ask me whether I am committed to CAA regulations, to which of course I say yes (line of sight, and distance / height regs). They then quite often say something like: "hope you enjoy, fly responsibility, etc." before giving you a reference code to quote in case of any challenges should you need to contact back

Reactions: recsaysausaged
Hi there mate - they were very helpful. They first ask for your details (name, address, make/ model/ colour of drone), then ask you where you intend flying and the purpose, and then they just ask me whether I am committed to CAA regulations, to which of course I say yes (line of sight, and distance / height regs). They then quite often say something like: "hope you enjoy, fly responsibility, etc." before giving you a reference code to quote in case of any challenges should you need to contact back

Couple of shots there from my home town for instance... Of course I take footage as well

Attachments

• Eastbourne Pier Westwards_small jpg.jpg
    Eastbourne Pier Westwards_small jpg.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 239
  • Eastbourne Pier Northwards_small jpg.jpg
    Eastbourne Pier Northwards_small jpg.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 235
Woah, you sound like me when I am paranoid about what people think about me flying my drone. Just re-order the drone, stick to the rules and enjoy it (while the gov still lets you?) mate!

Well said thefrisbee. The trouble these days is that we often appear to spend too much time worrying about what everyone else might be thinking. You are not breaking the law flying a drone so long as you follow your aviation authority regulations, registration regulations (if applicable) and, yes, there will always be bye laws to negotiate along the way. But these are all obstacles we can get over with a bit of due diligence and quick research.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka