Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

I fly almost exclusively over the water as I live on the Intercoastal Waterway much of the year. I've lost one P3A so far. Now, I never ever liftoff without a topped up battery, I.e., turn on the battery first and then hook up the charger.....even if the battery is 95%. I always do this in a safe fire proof container. I will begin retiring batteries at 75 flights, or earlier if there is any significant cell voltage variances while under flight loads. I know it is probably just a matter of time before I put another in the drink, but it won't likely be battery related.
is that in SC?

LOL okay. I might do that. Thank you
HWCM we are just trying to help when help can be given, if you like flying with partially charged batteries is your choice, but sooner or later is bound to happen, now if you make it to 100 flights with partially charged batteries and never have a battery failure then I suggest you buy a powerball ticket because you'll be the luckiest man on hearth, just my 2 cents

I wish I had access to DJI's database.. Run a little query and find out how many P3/P4/Inspires have had a watery grave.

I do it all the time. Go to one spot and fly a little bit, then go to another spot and finish off the battery. Zero issues. I watch the battery meter and it stays accurate and the failsafe still works.
Well it looks like I've dodged bullets. My last few flights have been on part used batteries at about 60%.

It sounds like he did not have his battery seated correctly and it came loose. Ouch.
I would call this playing russian roulette

But none of those use the p3's batteries do they?, need more proof, read post #72 by Marknmd and click on the link he posted

That makes no sense. The batteries have no timers.

The battery board does have a timer. There is a discharge setting to automatically discharge the battery to its storage voltage after x-days (user selectable).

These aren't dumb LiPO or LiHV batteries your probably comparing them to. There's a battery board in there that manages the battery and charging. All DJi's charger is a 17.5v 57 or 100 watt power supply nothing more. The battery board manages balance charging and integrates with the GO app to provide battery telemetry as well as higher level functions as I described. That's why DJi regularly releases firmware, yes software, updates for their batteries.

I do it all the time. Go to one spot and fly a little bit, then go to another spot and finish off the battery. Zero issues. I watch the battery meter and it stays accurate and the failsafe still works.
My understanding is that type of usage is not the issue, and I have done this several times myself without a problem.

The issue is flying a battery down a bit (and I am speculating it is probably in the less than 70% range) and then letting is sit over some period of time, such as overnight or longer.

The "smart battery" is smart because is has a microcontroller in the head that has a memory. The problem seems to be the firmware that the microcontroller runs having issues reconciling the status when the battery is turned off after flight, and the actual status after it has cooled off and chemicals settled down. It then passes this information to the DJI app which incorrectly interprets it and shows inaccurate numbers on the app display.

By charging the battery to 100% before each flight you are minimizing that miscalculation, which applied to millions of users of varying capabilities is the safest standard.

That makes more sense. Thank you. I will always charge my batteries 100% before flying just to be on the safe side.
My understanding is that type of usage is not the issue, and I have done this several times myself without a problem.

The issue is flying a battery down a bit (and I am speculating it is probably in the less than 70% range) and then letting is sit over some period of time, such as overnight or longer.

The "smart battery" is smart because is has a microcontroller in the head that has a memory. The problem seems to be the firmware that the microcontroller runs having issues reconciling the status when the battery is turned off after flight, and the actual status after it has cooled off and chemicals settled down. It then passes this information to the DJI app which incorrectly interprets it and shows inaccurate numbers on the app display.

By charging the battery to 100% before each flight you are minimizing that miscalculation, which applied to millions of users of varying capabilities is the safest standard.

If you look thru the log you will see first amber warnings. Then the warnings stop.
But at that point you stop climbing and go to forward. That pause let the voltage rise out of warning state. Then you see the speed increase (more power) and the warnings return. Eventually into red warnings.

The first warnings had started before you had gone anywhere. On the battery screen there is an option to "show voltage" (I forget the exact wording) But it shows the cell voltage on the camera screen. The cell voltage number will turn amber or red. Same as the log shows.

When I first turned on the "show voltage" feature I was shocked to see the warnings and thought there was something wrong with my battery. In the cold I have seen the amber warning at 70% battery.
The "show voltage" should be on all the time. Not an option. At least that's the way I feel about it.
It has saved me several times.

As someone else suggests. You could try a claim with DJI.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I think you are still confused about it, this applies to using the battery one day without depleting it, and then coming back another day to finish the same battery off

P.S. If you do get that powerball ticket and you win, how about 1 million dollar donation? ;)

I understand.
How about 1%?

I think you are still confused about it, this applies to using the battery one day without depleting it, and then coming back another day to finish the same battery off

P.S. If you do get that powerball ticket and you win, how about 1 million dollar donation? ;)

If I remember correctly there was a problem with the FW seeing the drop in voltage on a partially charged battery. ... But from what that post said the new FW fixed it. I don't remember who it was posted by or I would search and link it here.

Like I said, take this with a box of salt, my memory aint the best.
If it's the same thread and same post I'm thinking of, a member in that thread posted that he had a detailed talk in person with some DJI tech guy and the DJI tech told him that the current battery firmware that everybody was using had a fatal bug in it and that was why users were experiencing the drops from the sky. He said that DJI was actively working on fixing the bug and it would be fixed and distributed ASAP. But several weeks later that same member posted that he found out the tech guy fed him BS (see link below) and there was no bug in the firmware after all. That's not to mean there isn't a problem, it just wasn't a recognizable firmware error. So in summary, it seemed there was no solution to the problem in sight, other than to always always always launch on a fully charged battery.

Edit: Here is the post: Auto battery discharge.

Last edited:
Being in the RC flight hobby for years, I do have a bit of lipo experience. As a first time poster here, hear me out.

Looks as if your battery failed as everyone stated although I feel not because of the life of the pack on take off. You stated that you flew it the last time down to a critical low battery warning. In looking at the detailed logs on phantomhelp, it seams as cells 1 and 4 were damaged during that critically low battery flight. One thing for a fact is lithium packs do not like to be over discharged. As you file down to the end of the log, you can see the cells are below nominal voltage. Cells 2 and 3 started taking up the slack as 1 and 2 kept falling. In turn, you lost your bird, I am willing to bet it wasn't a 100% po we r loss, just not enough to keep the bird in the air.

Reactions: eBoon
Being in the RC flight hobby for years, I do have a bit of lipo experience. As a first time poster here, hear me out.

Looks as if your battery failed as everyone stated although I feel not because of the life of the pack on take off. You stated that you flew it the last time down to a critical low battery warning. In looking at the detailed logs on phantomhelp, it seams as cells 1 and 4 were damaged during that critically low battery flight. One thing for a fact is lithium packs do not like to be over discharged. As you file down to the end of the log, you can see the cells are below nominal voltage. Cells 2 and 3 started taking up the slack as 1 and 2 kept falling. In turn, you lost your bird, I am willing to bet it wasn't a 100% po we r loss, just not enough to keep the bird in the air.
Slight loss or complete loss. It doesnt really matter. This thing dropped like a rock. If there is that kind of issue it needs to be fixed. If it is the way it is. They should place some type of software in there to help fix this. If this would have been going past a person or something of value this could have been bad. And I know we are not suppose to fly directly over people, however we do end up crossing over someone at some point. It was just a bad situation. But thank you for the input.

Clearly I am fairly new to this site by the number of post. I appreciate everyone's help. As for some of you. Go take a your perfect "OP" asses and get lost. I don't need your input. It didn't take me long at all once someone asked the questions. No I don't sit on this site and read every thread. I have lot of other stuff going on. And as far as the inspire comment. Yes someone had one yesterday I saw it and guess what my bank account says I can get one. Am I upset about losing my p3p absolutely...if you don't get upset about losing 1k it would explain why you would get on here and bash someone's post. Even if my post was like another people are clearly learning from this post. So I must not be the only one. I'm glad to have helped even one more pilot not lose their drone like I did. Sorry for the rant...for those that have positive input I really appreciate your input. And thank you from the new pilots on the forum in sure we all appreciate not getting bashed about our uneducated phantom flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Jason,
On this site you have every resource you'll need to fly safely and fly a long time with the same birds. I still have all three of my Phantoms (P2V, P2V+, and P3P), and that's only because I've been putting the time in right here to find out what works and what doesn't.
I think it's infantile of you to think you can buy an expensive, complex piece of technology and not do all you can to understand every subsystem, every flight dynamic, every part, and - mostly - how to best fly it.
What you did was completely avoidable. So why are you now throwing spitballs at those who point this out to you?
If I were you, I'd just thank everyone for the help in understanding, and start reading this forum as you sit with your bird and explore all the functions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart