Auto battery discharge.

Reaction score
Hi,

So I've read loads about how best to look after your phantom 3 battery. Their seems to be a lot of conflicting comments about what you should run the battery down to, what % to store it at and so on.

My question to you is, in the Dji app under battery you can set auto discharge. It comes at 10 days as standard. Is this the best setting to have. I read you shouldn't store your battery at max for more than 7 days.

I'm just trying to find the best solution for the short term.
Personally I just charge my battery's after a flight and wait for the next nice day. But that could be 1 day or 7 days. I just don't want to stress the battery's out.

Hi,

So I've read loads about how best to look after your phantom 3 battery. Their seems to be a lot of conflicting comments about what you should run the battery down to, what % to store it at and so on.

My question to you is, in the Dji app under battery you can set auto discharge. It comes at 10 days as standard. Is this the best setting to have. I read you shouldn't store your battery at max for more than 7 days.

I'm just trying to find the best solution for the short term.
Personally I just charge my battery's after a flight and wait for the next nice day. But that could be 1 day or 7 days. I just don't want to stress the battery's out.
I believe it depends on how often you fly. If you fly very frequently then it doesn't really matter since you will be charging often. If you only fly once or twice a month then setting auto discharge to 3 days may be more appropriate.

Nothing happens to the battery if you don't use it for 10 days and keep it charged to full. Auto discharge will take care of it.

Question is how long you can keep it at 50% charge level? It may be a good practice to charge it to above 60% regularly at least once in 3 months cause battery loses its charge on its own and thus should never get fully discharged.

I have a similar question but I can't find an answer.
If I was to have the batteries auto discharge (P3P) are the batteries safe to do so in the back pack or should I have the batteries in another location when the auto discharge kicks in?
Thanks

Edit....
I have just found a topic that says people do leave their batteries in the hard case while the batteries discharge but a definitive answer was not given.

Also it was stated that the discharge process resets if the battery charge indicator is pressed, is this true?

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Last edited:
Also it was stated that the discharge process resets if the battery charge indicator is pressed, is this true?

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Yes, this is true. I tested this with the most recent firmware recently. The results were definitive.

Reactions: RayH
There was a thread several weeks ago - somebody posted that they talked to a DJI technician in person who said the "reset" described above was actually a firmware bug and that it would be fixed in an upcoming battery firmware update.

There was a thread several weeks ago - somebody posted that they talked to a DJI technician in person who said the "reset" described above was actually a firmware bug and that it would be fixed in an upcoming battery firmware update.

That was me. The tech actually said that it had already been fixed in the latest firmware, which is what prompted me to test it. My test showed that the DJI support tech was full of crap.

I set mine to 1 day, in case the weather turns and I can't get out. At the end of the day, the longer the cells spend at their highest voltage, the quicker the pack will degrade. The higher the voltage the faster the rate of oxidisation. Also if left at their biggest potential the cells are prone to swelling.

That was me. The tech actually said that it had already been fixed in the latest firmware, which is what prompted me to test it. My test showed that the DJI support tech was full of crap.
Haha, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I set mine to 1 day, in case the weather turns and I can't get out. At the end of the day, the longer the cells spend at their highest voltage, the quicker the pack will degrade. The higher the voltage the faster the rate of oxidisation. Also if left at their biggest potential the cells are prone to swelling.
I have just set mine to 1 day as well. How long can you keep it at the discharged state? And am I ok leaving them in my backpack to discharge?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It will be happy at in its storage state inevitably technically, the cells will degrade at their lowest rate at storage voltage (which is where they discharge down too). Will be fine discharging in the backpack, I have noticed they get a little warm but nothing to be concerned about :)

Reactions: RayH
It will be happy at in its storage state inevitably technically, the cells will degrade at their lowest rate at storage voltage (which is where they discharge down too). Will be fine discharging in the backpack, I have noticed they get a little warm but nothing to be concerned about :)
Thanks fore your help and info [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I suppose this makes sense, given the UK weather... lol

I've been looking forward to flying this weekend but unfortunately the country has been slapped with rain and high winds yet again.

My battery discharge is set to 7 days at the moment and if I can, i'll fly every evening this week if the weather permits. Do you still recommend setting it to discharge after 1 day? for example my last flight was thursday and my battery has been doing nothing since. won't get till use it until tomorrow. (monday)

I suppose this makes sense, given the UK weather... lol

I've been looking forward to flying this weekend but unfortunately the country has been slapped with rain and high winds yet again.

My battery discharge is set to 7 days at the moment and if I can, i'll fly every evening this week if the weather permits. Do you still recommend setting it to discharge after 1 day? for example my last flight was thursday and my battery has been doing nothing since. won't get till use it until tomorrow. (monday)

I know, I charged up but this weekend has been pretty dire down here - wet yesterday and wet + windy today :( I work quite long hours so next chance of flying will be next weekend.

I'm sure they will be OK, just bear in mind that performance will reduce at the quickest rate whilst left charged to full capacity, so try to minimise the time they spend in that state as much as possible. I do think 10 days is a bit extreme, maybe 5-6 days but personally I prefer to charge before flying and let them discharge for storage ASAP if I don't end up using them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic