Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

Reaction score
I just flew my p3p out about 200 ft off the deck and over the ocean about 150 ft. It was doing great and then all of a sudden it lost power. It plunged into the ocean like I have never seen before. My heart skipped a beat. I saved and saved for this thing and eventually had to trade a truck to get one. It was too far out to swim for it. My wife is extremely mad and I'm hoping it washes up on shore tonight and I can retrieve it tomorrow. This post was really to let people know...it doesn't matter how much you trust your drone. If you want to keep it..don't go over water.

Bummer for you, I don't want to imagine the feeling of losing a P3A. I figure if I'm 80ft off the ground it would be a write off anyway if it dropped .... so why not push it over water. At least no one gets hurt.

yep davy jones has one of mine sorry for your lose due you know why it fell

Reactions: Jouster
I don't know why it fell. I wish I did. It just seem to have lost power. I'm totally upset about it.
download flight log to healthy drones to find out

Reactions: Gpanek
Sorry to hear about the loss.. Having seen how a motor or ESC can go bad seemingly without reason on my P2 I can understand more when you read of these sudden failures. A motor stopping might not have been the cause in your case but it is certainly one possibility. I was going to do my first flight over the Channel but now my craft is stuck (thankfully) on terra firma until I can get it fixed! I hope yours gets washed up and can at least be retrieved...

Reactions: Numone and Scotty88
Oh boy sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If someone could tell me how to download the flight log I would greatly appreciate it. I can upload it if it's possible

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Keep in mind I don't have the drone. It's at the bottom of the ocean

To put even more salt into the wound a guy just showed up flying his inspire around. It's not having any issues.

I lost my GoPro Hero 3+ Black in a creek while kayaking in Florida last month. I'm still upset, but it must be a lot worse to loose a drone that's double the price. I just flew my Phantom over the bay today, and it's very scary. I'm sorry you lost your Phantom and hope you are able to find and fix it. You may have some hope since it didn't go in with live power.
DJI_0147.JPG

Sorry to hear about your drone. I just lost mine last week, from being stupid and attaching a fishing line to it. Crashed into the bay, and never was seen again.
Amazon has the DJI drones and interest free payments for a year. That's the only reason my wife let me get a new one.

You can get the flight records from the dji go app, even if you the drone was lost.

Reactions: Reed L
If someone could tell me how to download the flight log I would greatly appreciate it. I can upload it if it's possible

Jason - just go to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters and there are instructions on how to download your flight data and (hopefully) see what went wrong. You don't need your drone to do this - the flight data has been stored in the DJI Go app, and that's the file you'll upload for analysis.

I just flew my p3p out about 200 ft off the deck and over the ocean about 150 ft. It was doing great and then all of a sudden it lost power. It plunged into the ocean like I have never seen before. My heart skipped a beat. I saved and saved for this thing and eventually had to trade a truck to get one. It was too far out to swim for it. My wife is extremely mad and I'm hoping it washes up on shore tonight and I can retrieve it tomorrow. This post was really to let people know...it doesn't matter how much you trust your drone. If you want to keep it..don't go over water.
Man..I am so sorry to hear this...your drone even if found is done...once submerged in salt water cannot be saved unless you pulled it out immediately and flushed it with clear water.. the salt gets into all wiring, solder joints and conponents and rots them from the inside out. I am wondering if perhaps you just updated to the new firmware??? there are so many of these reports of our drones just doing crazy things lately.

Reactions: koviatt
No I have not updated because to date I have not had any issues at all. The only one issue that might be a issue is about 3 days ago I got a critical low battery warning and it had been low on battery before I took off.

How low was the battery before takeoff? I NEVER take off on less than 95%.
You say don't fly over water but would your drone have survived a 150' drop anyway?
Really feel for you - I am in the middle of strarting a new business so if my P3 crashes I can't afford to replace it either!

Reactions: Gpanek and mmtphoto
Sorry for the lose of your Phantom. For anyone that may be thinking of Venturing out over water, if suggest you look into the "GetterBack" Rod Recovery System. Has 100' of 10 Lb Kevlar line. Available online for about $20.

Reactions: Gary E
No I have not updated because to date I have not had any issues at all. The only one issue that might be a issue is about 3 days ago I got a critical low battery warning and it had been low on battery before I took off.

Sorry for the lose of your Phantom. For anyone that may be thinking of Venturing out over water, if suggest you look into the "GetterBack" Rod Recovery System. Has 100' of 10 Lb Kevlar line. Available online for about $20.
Useless for salt water. Worth a try in fresh.

Sorry for your loss, but I think you just identified the reason, if you were flying with a partially charged battery then most likely that is the reason, there are countless threads about this and this is why I always charge my batteries before I fly and even top off a battery even if I charged it the night before just to make sure. Never fly with a partially charged battery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik