Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

So if I start flying on 100% charge and land at 60% I shouldn't take off again with the same battery? Is that what your saying?
This has been discussed in other threads...

For some reason, it seems there is considerably less chance of a battery problem if you fly on a partially charged battery that was fully charged and used that same day. People have done it repeatedly and routinely and swear there is no problem.

Still - I would prefer to just charge the **** thing. Or have a second fully charged battery on hand.

Yeah after reading some of it I believe the issue is with the battery not being charged 100%

JasonJett, if you do get the inspire, make sure you always fly with fully charged batteries and not left overs from past days ;)

Yeah..this Is a pretty big deal to me. Is this a problem with the inspire?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Inspire would likely react the same way. If you're looking for foolproof, buy the DJI M600.

Last edited:
I would call this playing russian roulette

But none of those use the p3's batteries do they?, need more proof, read post #72 by Marknmd and click on the link he posted
That makes no difference. Trust me.

That makes no difference. Trust me
HWCM we are just trying to help when help can be given, if you like flying with partially charged batteries is your choice, but sooner or later is bound to happen, now if you make it to 100 flights with partially charged batteries and never have a battery failure then I suggest you buy a powerball ticket because you'll be the luckiest man on hearth, just my 2 cents

You took off with a low battery & flew it over water?

No I have not updated because to date I have not had any issues at all. The only one issue that might be a issue is about 3 days ago I got a critical low battery warning and it had been low on battery before I took off.

56% is not a low battery in everything else we do in life so if that is what you are asking then yes.

I think you have been lucky, there are some posts that John Locke and other members have written about regarding the batteries in detail somewhere in the forum

That might be the post I have been looking for. But the word BATTERY is to common and I can't find it. Should have bookmarked that one.

56% is not a low battery in everything else we do in life so if that is what you are asking then yes.

You are right. For most things, we would not consider 56% low.

When we apply power we draw down the cell voltage. These battery's are better able to provide that draw when they are warm. (40c or more)
But they don't start out at 40c. At least not in most cases. So when we start with a full battery it is not warmed up yet. But it has enough voltage
that we can't draw it down to the shutdown point. As we use the battery the margin between full voltage and the shutdown point decreases.
But the battery is getting warmer and better able to provide current draw and maintain the voltage above shutdown.

So when we start out at 56% we don't have the margin that a full battery has and the battery's temperature is below it's best working temperature
allowing it's voltage to be drawn down to a critical point. Especially if full throttle is applied.

This is the problem for us cold weather fliers . The battery never gets up to 40c. In the winter when the outside temp. is 0c I am landing with a 25c battery.
But as long as I do not push it too hard in the bottom half of the battery everything is fine.

I would hazard a guess you were at full throttle.
There is an option to show the cell voltage on the camera screen.
It will give a warning if the voltage is dipping too low.

There is a great article on batterys on this forum if I could just find it.
It would explain this better that I can.

I just flew my p3p out about 200 ft off the deck and over the ocean about 150 ft. It was doing great and then all of a sudden it lost power. It plunged into the ocean like I have never seen before. My heart skipped a beat. I saved and saved for this thing and eventually had to trade a truck to get one. It was too far out to swim for it. My wife is extremely mad and I'm hoping it washes up on shore tonight and I can retrieve it tomorrow. This post was really to let people know...it doesn't matter how much you trust your drone. If you want to keep it..don't go over water.
Get your flight log and send it to DJI if it was a error with the electronics it may be under warranty

That might be the post I have been looking for. But the word BATTERY is to common and I can't find it. Should have bookmarked that one.
Trackman, the search on these forums isn't great. It could be that the thread you're looking for, just like this thread here, doesn't have 'battery' in the title, and it's possible that the forum search algorithm is title weighted. So try to remember the thread title, the original posters words.

Edit: because I for one would like to read it. The post you give above sounds like stuff we should all know about flying with partially depleted batteries.

If I remember correctly there was a problem with the FW seeing the drop in voltage on a partially charged battery. From my understanding, the battery would show more voltage than it had and when the FW saw the quick drop in voltage when you started using the battery it would actually shut of the motors. I might have this a FUBAR since it was a while ago I read about it. But from what that post said the new FW fixed it. I don't remember who it was posted by or I would search and link it here.

Like I said, take this with a box of salt, my memory aint the best.

I fly almost exclusively over the water as I live on the Intercoastal Waterway much of the year. I've lost one P3A so far. Now, I never ever liftoff without a topped up battery, I.e., turn on the battery first and then hook up the charger.....even if the battery is 95%. I always do this in a safe fire proof container. I will begin retiring batteries at 75 flights, or earlier if there is any significant cell voltage variances while under flight loads. I know it is probably just a matter of time before I put another in the drink, but it won't likely be battery related.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj