Just Lost My 1 Week old P4P Help Please

J

Just took my P4 out to the back of my 1acre block and put it amongst the trees, turned on the 'find my drone' function and it was pretty close, maybe within 10 mtrs. Drone was turned off, test done with both battery installed and removed, and provided I had mobile coverage, easy to find. No idea about the range for this function, but I would be thinking as long as you had coverage, it may be a reasonable option for generally locating your gear.
As I understand it (can't test it because I need to be able to turn off Smart RTH and GEO, which you cannot with the version offering Find My Drone, after updating the NFZ!), this feature provides the same location map information stored in the Flight Log visible in the app, and requires the aircraft to be turned on, with a working live battery still inside, to enable either the ESC beeping or turning on the lights. In a crash, the battery is usually ejected.

Been camping this weekend about 2 hours away from my house. Flown the p4p 3-4 batteries worth here. Going back home tomorrow. When I case it up after the final flight here I'll pull the battery. When I get back home I'll have a look at find my drone and see where it says it is. I think I already did this experiment between work & home. If I remember correctly it showed me the actual current location. I think this will be a good test for determining current vs last known locations. Don't know about beeping or flashing lights but I'm betting if it got me within 30' of it as tevek says odds are I could find it. I'll post back the results.

Been camping this weekend about 2 hours away from my house. Flown the p4p 3-4 batteries worth here. Going back home tomorrow. When I case it up after the final flight here I'll pull the battery. When I get back home I'll have a look at find my drone and see where it says it is. I think I already did this experiment between work & home. If I remember correctly it showed me the actual current location. I think this will be a good test for determining current vs last known locations. Don't know about beeping or flashing lights but I'm betting if it got me within 30' of it as tevek says odds are I could find it. I'll post back the results.
Eager to see what it says. Not sure how it could know current location without a battery inside, which is also turned on, but we shall see...:cool:

I stand corrected. My memory must not be as good as I remembered. Last known location would be the correct answer. Pulled battery last night at campground. Home now. Find my drone says missing duration 20 hours (would be about the time of last flight) shows a red arrow where we were camping & a blue pulsing dot here at home with a green line between the two (about 75 miles apart). The p4p is in the case here at the house in the spare room my wife lets me use to charge the batteries.

I stand corrected. My memory must not be as good as I remembered. Last known location would be the correct answer. Pulled battery last night at campground. Home now. Find my drone says missing duration 20 hours (would be about the time of last flight) shows a red arrow where we were camping & a blue pulsing dot here at home with a green line between the two (about 75 miles apart). The p4p is in the case here at the house in the spare room my wife lets me use to charge the batteries.
That's the same information as is contained in the flight log of the last flight. They simply create a line to it in the current view, showing last recorded location and your current location from the WiFi triangulation or GPS of your tablet, until you turn on the drone. If you zoom in on the flight log of the prior flight, it will show the same location, as does a screen shot of the screen when connection was lost. No magic, just a different interface to see it, called Find My Drone.:cool:

That's the same information as is contained in the flight log of the last flight. They simply create a line to it in the current view, showing last recorded location and your current location from the WiFi triangulation or GPS of your tablet, until you turn on the drone. If you zoom in on the flight log of the prior flight, it will show the same location, as does a screen shot of the screen when connection was lost. No magic, just a different interface to see it, called Find My Drone.:cool:
This is what I expected to see. It's a ridiculous situation where user testing is required to ascertain the performance of a feature- DJI actually explaining it in their documentation would be preferred.

So I'm not as tech savvy as most of you guys on here but.... what I see from this is; it's not LoJack. Somebody lifts it from the back seat of my truck ( wow! I wouldn't have said that 20 years ago) while I'm grabbing some adult refreshments from my local convenience store it's gone. On the other hand, I crash it while flying around in the mountains (should have left the adult refreshments in the convenience store) and find my drone can get me within 30' (like tevek said) I should be able to locate it (might have to let the adult beverages effect wear off some first though). It should still work for the op that started this thread for his situation as I understand it. Then again I noticed he started another thread with another problem with another drone and doesn't seem too concerned about recovering this one. I believe I would have to exhaust all possible avenues before I could just write off a $1400 toy as gone!

This is what I expected to see. It's a ridiculous situation where user testing is required to ascertain the performance of a feature- DJI actually explaining it in their documentation would be preferred.
Oddly, there is no word in Chinese for "documentation"....:p

1196946f4ffc8ecb410ce21a0c506b2f.jpg

But it is a really cool toy. We hiked to those letters 10+ years ago. Amazed that they were 4x8 sheets of painted plywood mounted on telephone pole framing 40+ feet tall. This weekend I just sat at my camper and flew the p4p up there and took a picture. Sure it wasn't as healthy for me as taking the hike, but it was just as fun.

I had the same issue the other day. My P4P is only a month old and I have 14 flights (4.5hours) on it. I have another P4P, some P3's and a Matrice.

I was bringing this P4P home and it was about 50ft from the ground and I heard something strange and it fell from the sky and hit a parked car (lots of damage). Nothing hit it and it was clear of all obstacles. I am downloading the logs now. In the DJI app the last record has me over the spot where it fell at 350ft altitude and both sticks pulled down (descend and reverse).

I had the same issue the other day. My P4P is only a month old and I have 14 flights (4.5hours) on it. I have another P4P, some P3's and a Matrice.

I was bringing this P4P home and it was about 50ft from the ground and I heard something strange and it fell from the sky and hit a parked car (lots of damage). Nothing hit it and it was clear of all obstacles. I am downloading the logs now. In the DJI app the last record has me over the spot where it fell at 350ft altitude and both sticks pulled down (descend and reverse).
Sounds like you may have triggered the infamous default CSC setting, stopping the motors in the air! :eek: I always turn mine OFF, never stop motors in the air!

Last edited:

You may like to replay the end of that flight log in the go app and look at your stick positions to see if the sticks went down and in (or out). As gadgetguy has indicated good chance you unintentionally performed a CSC.

Sounds like you may have triggered the infamous default CSC setting, stopping the motors in the air!
replay the end of that flight log in the go app and look at your stick positions to see if the sticks went down and in (or out). As gadgetguy has indicated good chance you unintentionally performed a CSC.

No ... you guys are back in the past.
Look at the bottom of this to see how it's done with the P4 pro.
i-QPpfzMV.jpg

Reactions: Loz
You may like to replay the end of that flight log in the go app and look at your stick positions to see if the sticks went down and in (or out). As gadgetguy has indicated good chance you unintentionally performed a CSC.
What is odd is DJI made the new default CSC a combination of left stick down and in, and simultaneously press the RTH button, but left the option to use the original method we referred to, or "Never stop motors in the air." Eager to hear his response. He needs to check his CSC settings in the app.

i-QPpfzMV.jpg
Not if he changed the default CSC setting in the app to use the original method, which is why he needs to check that setting.

I checked the flight log and it shows both sticks straight down, not off to the side. I was bringing it down and backwards at the same time.

The other strange thing is that the Go App shows my altitude at 390ft but it was just hovering around 50ft up when it happened. The logs below say 425ft for some reason. The Go App says the flight was 10:50 in duration.

This is what HealthyDrones/AirData shows

Flight time Altitude Home Distance Type Notification
00m 20s 93.5 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
00m 26s 101.0 ft 179 ft Warning Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
00m 36s 97.1 ft 148 ft Tip Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 30m.
00m 36s 96.8 ft 148 ft Tip Cache Space Full
01m 11s 272.3 ft 658 ft 90% Battery
03m 52s 426.2 ft 1,347 ft 80% Battery
06m 04s 426.2 ft 1,779 ft Tip Cache Space Full
06m 45s 426.2 ft 1,779 ft 70% Battery
08m 03s 425.2 ft 2,436 ft 64% Battery at maximum distance
09m 00s 425.8 ft 744 ft 60% Battery

The flight just 15-20 minutes before shows similar events.
00m 00s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
00m 00s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to Motors_Started
00m 01s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to Assisted_Takeoff (I have NEVER used assisted takeoff)
00m 03s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
00m 03s 0.3 ft 1 ft Tip Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 30m.
01m 02s 607.3 ft 1,552 ft 90% Battery
03m 32s 607.6 ft 1,809 ft 81% Battery at maximum distance
03m 34s 607.9 ft 1,790 ft 80% Battery
06m 19s 389.4 ft 1,682 ft 70% Battery
08m 48s 389.8 ft 1,682 ft 60% Battery
11m 29s 389.8 ft 1,681 ft 50% Battery
13m 53s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Warning warnings:Remote Controller Right Dial Locked. Lightly press it to adjust. (brand new controller, both of my P4P's show this and the high wind error)
13m 54s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Mode Mode changed to Go_Home
13m 54s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Tip Tips__Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is98ft. You can reset the RTH Al
13m 57s 389.8 ft 1,685 ft 40% Battery
14m 56s 388.8 ft 1 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti ( cancelled the return to home and brought it down manually)
14m 58s 389.1 ft 3 ft Warning warnings:Remote Controller Right Dial Locked. Lightly press it to adjust.

Last edited:
Also, I checked all my settings in the controller/app and they are defaults. I didnt change any settings for the controller, csc, etc.

i-QPpfzMV.jpg
I'm back in the time of a thread I read recently where seemingly (at least it was claimed) the old method still worked in flight.

You can't always believe what you read in forums eh....

Pleased to learn DJI finally answered the concerns of many.

I checked the flight log and it shows both sticks straight down, not off to the side. I was bringing it down and backwards at the same time.

The other strange thing is that is shows my altitude at 390ft but it was just hovering around 50ft up when it happened.

The other strange thing is that the logs say I was in "atti mode" but I never fly in atti mode and the switch was definitely on "P-Positioning mode"

This is what HealthyDrones/AirData shows regarding the ATTI mode.

Flight time Altitude Home Distance Type Notification
00m 20s 93.5 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
00m 26s 101.0 ft 179 ft Warning Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
00m 36s 97.1 ft 148 ft Tip Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 30m.
00m 36s 96.8 ft 148 ft Tip Cache Space Full
01m 11s 272.3 ft 658 ft 90% Battery
03m 52s 426.2 ft 1,347 ft 80% Battery
06m 04s 426.2 ft 1,779 ft Tip Cache Space Full
06m 45s 426.2 ft 1,779 ft 70% Battery
08m 03s 425.2 ft 2,436 ft 64% Battery at maximum distance
09m 00s 425.8 ft 744 ft 60% Battery

The flight just 15-20 minutes before shows similar events.
00m 00s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
00m 00s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to Motors_Started
00m 01s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to Assisted_Takeoff (I have NEVER used assisted takeoff)
00m 03s 0.0 ft 0 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti (I dont use Atti mode)
00m 03s 0.3 ft 1 ft Tip Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude: 30m.
01m 02s 607.3 ft 1,552 ft 90% Battery
03m 32s 607.6 ft 1,809 ft 81% Battery at maximum distance
03m 34s 607.9 ft 1,790 ft 80% Battery
06m 19s 389.4 ft 1,682 ft 70% Battery
08m 48s 389.8 ft 1,682 ft 60% Battery
11m 29s 389.8 ft 1,681 ft 50% Battery
13m 53s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Warning warnings:Remote Controller Right Dial Locked. Lightly press it to adjust. (brand new controller, both of my P4P's show this and the high wind error)
13m 54s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Mode Mode changed to Go_Home
13m 54s 389.8 ft 1,686 ft Tip Tips__Aircraft is returning to the Home Point. Minimum RTH Altitude is98ft. You can reset the RTH Al
13m 57s 389.8 ft 1,685 ft 40% Battery
14m 56s 388.8 ft 1 ft Mode Mode changed to GPS_Atti
14m 58s 389.1 ft 3 ft Warning warnings:Remote Controller Right Dial Locked. Lightly press it to adjust.
Consider uploading the log to phantomhelp and share the link here- perhaps someone can shed more light on what may have happened.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor