Just got new P3P today has old motors what should I do?

See post #16, there is a reason and that reason is peace of mind knowing you have the updated reinforcement inside the shell
Some reinforced shells have cracked too. A very small number of people have this problem (old or new shell). So, it's really not worth the hassle of returning a Phantom over this. Furthermore, DJI has not confirmed this new shell design was released to prevent cracking. For all we know, they are just making small improvements -- like they did with the new motors.

You can tell if it has new motors from the picture on the box, no need to read or open.

New motors:

Screen_Shot_2015_10_28_at_8_56_55_PM.png

Old motors:

DSC_0148.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirby
Some reinforced shells have cracked too. A very small number of people have this problem (old or new shell). So, it's really not worth the hassle of returning a Phantom over this. Furthermore, DJI has not confirmed this new shell design was released to prevent cracking. For all we know, they are just making small improvements -- like they did with the new motors.
Bottom line is the same amount of hard earned money can buy you the original model or the, as you put it "improved" model. Also I prefer the motor "wrench" that is in the box with the new motors but that is just a small personal preference.

You can tell if it has new motors from the picture on the box, no need to read or open.

New motors:

Screen_Shot_2015_10_28_at_8_56_55_PM.png

Old motors:

DSC_0148.JPG
It is hard to tell from your photo, you are looking for this:

Model A.JPG

For P3P "W323A" means it has the new motors, old motors would be "W323" GL300B is the model of the Controller (I have to get used to DJI calling it a controller and not a TX)

For P3A "W322A" would be new motors and "W322" would be old motors,
go ahead and check those labels since you want to try and stump me with the front of the box

Last edited:
Careful there, I do not believe that is true.

You do realize you can quote multiple people in one post, right?
Thank you, I am new to this forum and didn't even think about quoting multiple people. As far as the new motors/ new shell and stress cracks go I would love for you to prove me wrong by posting a picture or link to a post where someone with new motors and new shell had stress cracks. As far as I can tell by searching this forum and the DJI forum I cannot find a single post. The P3S has only one version of the shell and motors which is the updated version so a post with a P3S with stress cracks would be proof positive that it has happened with the new shell.

Careful there, I do not believe that is true.

You do realize you can quote multiple people in one post, right?
You're correct. Box picture is not a way to tell for sure. Only the model number is certain.

I will take a different route on this issue.

Return it!

That allows me to buy your returned one for hundreds less and I get a literally brand new unit with no flights and 1 charge.
Over the past year have bought 3 P2's same way and each still flies or has been resold.

just got an OB unit Monday and it is flawless
750 for p3a to my door

It is hard to tell from your photo, you are looking for this:

View attachment 37091

For P3P "W323A" means it has the new motors, old motors would be "W323" GL300B is the model of the Controller (I have to get used to DJI calling it a controller and not a TX)

For P3A "W322A" would be new motors and "W322" would be old motors,
go ahead and check those labels since you want to try and stump me with the front of the box
Are you sure 'A' doesn't stand for 'Advanced'? What about the Professional model? I am exchanging mine. So I might as well inform them to take that model number.

Return it!

That allows me to buy your returned one for hundreds less and I get a literally brand new unit with no flights and 1 charge.
Over the past year have bought 3 P2's same way and each still flies or has been resold.

750 for p3a to my door
This is called cheating the system.

Are you sure 'A' doesn't stand for 'Advanced'? What about the Professional model? I am exchanging mine. So I might as well inform them to take that model number.
Yes A here stands for revised model.

Thank you, I am new to this forum and didn't even think about quoting multiple people. As far as the new motors/ new shell and stress cracks go I would love for you to prove me wrong by posting a picture or link to a post where someone with new motors and new shell had stress cracks. As far as I can tell by searching this forum and the DJI forum I cannot find a single post. The P3S has only one version of the shell and motors which is the updated version so a post with a P3S with stress cracks would be proof positive that it has happened with the new shell.
No one is here to prove any one wrong, it's open discussion. All put their views and suggestions. Choice is totally with individuals.

Yes I am sure, I ordered a P3 Advanced before the black friday sales were announced. I opened the box to see if it had new motors or not (it had old motors) but I did not fly it and took it back to the local bestbuy and waited for the black friday sale. I ordered online on Thursday and that P3P had old motors. I noticed that it was listed as in stock again at bestbuy so I took it in and exchanged it because they confirmed their model numbers ended with "A" and that P3P did have new motors.

Photo of P3A with old motors
Phantom 3 Advanced.JPG

Photo of P3P Box with New motors
Model A.JPG

Photo of P3P box with Old motors (GL300B is the model number of the controller)

Attachments

• Model A.JPG
    Model A.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 387
No one is here to prove any one wrong, it's open discussion. All put their views and suggestions. Choice is totally with individuals.
I agree, but I guess I should have just said that I didn't appreciate when he accused me of spreading misinformation and left it at that. As you can tell by my most of my posts so far I am genuinely trying to help.

Reactions: sinxa

Return it!

750 for p3a to my door
where did you order it?

Sinisalo, you asked about proof of new shells cracking, I can only believe what the members are saying, not sure it constitutes proof.
A very quick search found these reports of new shells cracking, one that was never even flown, cracked in the box. There are probably others:

Yes I had cracks on three of the arms with new motors and new shell P3P. I am not buying another and I need too for business. Sooner or later it will catch up with DJI. Somebody soon will be the next best thing.

Ok, I am so disappointed. New unit just out of box. Never flown. So all of the people saying this is not a problem are drinking the DJI KoolAid. I'm out. Will be returning for refund, not replacement. I'll wait till the problem is solved for real before I get back into the game. View attachment 36585

I guess you didn't read the thread. This is a brand new P3 with new motors and shell. Arrived with cracks. My previous one also was new motors and shell. Cracked within 2 weeks.

Hate to add another crack thread | DJI Phantom Forum

I agree, but I guess I should have just said that I didn't appreciate when he accused me of spreading misinformation and left it at that. As you can tell by my most of my posts so far I am genuinely trying to help.
Take it with a grain of salt. He was hammered this week for spreading disinformation, so his post to you may have been a bit tongue in cheek. Dont take that one personally.

Also, just for complete info there have been a few reports here about cracks with new motors. Still, as noted for your own peace of mind you should make a decision you can live with.

Cheers and happy flying.

Last edited:
Sinisalo, you asked about proof of new shells cracking, I can only believe what the members are saying, not sure it constitutes proof.
A very quick search found these reports of new shells cracking, one that was never even flown, cracked in the box. There are probably others:

Hate to add another crack thread | DJI Phantom Forum

Good find, you got me there. These look like the screws are torqued too tight.

Take it with a grain of salt. He was hammered this week for spreading disinformation, so his post to you may have been a bit tongue in cheek. Dont take that one personally.

Also, just for complete info there have been a few reports here about cracks with new motors. Still, as noted for your own piece of mind you should make a decision you can live with.

Cheers and happy flying.
Thanks Oso!

Yes I am sure, I ordered a P3 Advanced before the black friday sales were announced. I opened the box to see if it had new motors or not (it had old motors) but I did not fly it and took it back to the local bestbuy and waited for the black friday sale. I ordered online on Thursday and that P3P had old motors. I noticed that it was listed as in stock again at bestbuy so I took it in and exchanged it because they confirmed their model numbers ended with "A" and that P3P did have new motors.

Photo of P3A with old motors
View attachment 37094
Photo of P3P Box with New motors
View attachment 37096

Photo of P3P box with Old motors (GL300B is the model number of the controller)
So basically, ALL of the Phantom 3(No matter whether it is Advanced or professional) that have improved motor will have that exact model number(W323A)? And the new controller is that exact model number(GL300B)? I would expect that number to change between Advanced and Professional. And they never did any other revisions that caused another change? Thanks. Just want to make sure before I make the call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav