is it legal for someone to have a drone jammer.

I love how many ppl look at drones and think it's a bomb dropping spying machines. And then take it upon them selves to buy expensive jammers with absurd range and power.... now it's a bomb when it's tumbling down on top of someone

If a jammer interferes with your drones signal it is not taking control of it (that's a whole different ball game) and forcing it to fall out of the sky - it's merely blocking the signal. So, how does your drone respond when it loses contact with it's controller? Does it fall out of the sky? No - don't try and score points by talking rubbish. If it loses contact with the transmitter it returns to home/hovers or lands depending how you've set it up - just the same as flying out of range.

With DJI quads the jammer won't cause it to drop but not all quads work that way. Many low end quads will drop on signal loss for so many seconds. Symas for example.
Granted most of those don't have much range either.

In the US the FCC regulates the transmission of radio signals. DJI and other drone companies have FCC certification to transmit on specific frequencies and at specified power. You can not just start transmitting a radio signal without an FCC license. In the early days all the radio control operators had amateur radio licenses.

If a jammer interferes with your drones signal it is not taking control of it (that's a whole different ball game) and forcing it to fall out of the sky - it's merely blocking the signal. So, how does your drone respond when it loses contact with it's controller? Does it fall out of the sky? No - don't try and score points by talking rubbish. If it loses contact with the transmitter it returns to home/hovers or lands depending how you've set it up - just the same as flying out of range.

I assumed it was more than a radio jammer

I love how many ppl look at drones and think it's a bomb dropping spying machines
This is the reason I do not like to use the term "drone", but rather quad. Drone has a very negative connotation to it.

Quad only refers to one type of multi-rotor.
Like it or not, drone is the word society has clung to.

Again, thanks for all the responses guys. I will have to have a talk with him. As one guy said earlier "I can fly almost anywhere" This is not worth getting into a fight. I just try to live by the golden rule, treat others as you want to be treated. It pissed me off that someone I like would do this, but he is a private guy and they have an incredible house. They don't have another house around them for probably 150' on each side.

Reactions: andy_k
Again, thanks for all the responses guys. I will have to have a talk with him. As one guy said earlier "I can fly almost anywhere" This is not worth getting into a fight. I just try to live by the golden rule, treat others as you want to be treated. It pissed me off that someone I like would do this, but he is a private guy and they have an incredible house. They don't have another house around them for probably 150' on each side.

You may want to consider sending anonymous letters to all of the surrounding neighbors, including your friend and to yourself. State that "Our neighborhood WiFi is getting messed up and a spectrum analysis of the area shows a rouge signal is corrupting the 2.4Ghz wifi spectrum (don't use the word jamming). If anyone knows who might be illegally corrupting the airwaves, please tell them to cease doing so. Otherwise I'll be forced to ask the FCC to visit the area and find out who's device is corrupting the airwaves. This letter is anonymous because the FCC fines for corrupting the airwaves can be high, and I don't want to make enemies of my neighbors if a friend of mine gets cited. I only want my wifi to work like normal."

Maybe your rich friend will stop this practice when he reads it. Then, a few days later, go over to his house and say," I got this letter here, did you get one of these? Do you think that's your jamming device causing the problem in the area?"

Or you can choose to not bring it up and just let him stew on the content of the letter.

Last edited:
I have a guy that lives about 1/2 a mile away. There is a huge wetlands directly behind his house. It is a very fun place to fly and do range checks. He recently purchased and is using a drone jammer. I asked him why he is using it and he says he dosent want any spying on his ****. I respect his privacy but the jammer extends way beyond his property. I am worried that my drone would land in the middle of the wetlands. Funny thing is he just bought his son a mavic. He says he unplugs it when his son is using his drone. I think thats kind of messed up.
What's your opinion?
If he's your friend, and it drops costing you money, then go tune him up. Make sure you hover your drone over head so we can see some good video.

Just kidding, or am I?
I'm sure I'll hear about this one.

Reactions: chadrob30
The OP never mentioned he or anyone experienced home WiFi interruption. Has he?
Has he experienced issues with his drone (control)?
Does he know for sure, such as seen a device, that the person possesses one?
Why should he lie, even if he may remain anonymous?

Reactions: BigAl07
Have been following this thread pretty closely and reading. After some thought, I do not believe the OP's neighbor is completely in the wrong, as it is his property, but if he really does feel he needs to have a jammer/blocker for his "security", at least keep it within your own property lines. I have already been asked by a neighbor not to fly over his house, and legally, there isn't much he can do, but I don't want to invade his privacy and become the neighborhood "spying drone person". I just fly around.

I have only flown into the space of the jammer once. i immediately lost signal and I got it out of there. I think I was just on the fringe of its range. Not sure if my drone kicked into rth and then I took over. It was weird. It was actually the night before I found out he had the jammer. I believe hes only had the jammer for a few days. Again his son just got the mavic. I find it pretty hypocritical that he said. I turn it off when my son flies his drone, then turn it on again. It's going to be very strange cause I really like this guy. I have no idea why he thought about doing this.
@skyacramer

I only read online today that your drone would drop, and I agree that a phantom or drone like it with a rth feature would hopefully rth. Like I said I found out this morning that he had this jammer. i'm just trying to get others opinions on this matter. I have only had my phantom 4 for a few weeks. I had a p3advanced before this one.
Your neighbor is lying. He doesn't have a jammer. He is probably saying this to keep you and your friends from flying over his property.
Besides that, jammers don't make your phantom drop from the sky.
Don't feed into his [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]. He probably took advantage of you saying that you lose signal around his property, so he ran with the jammer lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pharm
Quad only refers to one type of multi-rotor.
Like it or not, drone is the word society has clung to.
Nope. Quad means four. So a quadcopter is a copter with four rotors. So quad. Just like a tricopter has three rotors because tri means three. Hexacopter has six rotors. Octocopter has eight etc etc.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Seriously, you need to call the FCC and report this hardware. If it will jam a drone's signal, it can also interfer with wifi, cellular, possibly emergency communications also. It would be good to know what frequencies it covers and what the ERP is.
Good luck!
Jim
WA5TEF

Nope. Quad means four. So a quadcopter is a copter with four rotors. So quad. Just like a tricopter has three rotors because tri means three. Hexacopter has six rotors. Octocopter has eight etc etc.

Yea. A quad is one type of multi-rotor. That's what I said.
Drone is used commonly for any multi-rotor regardless of motor count.

Reactions: Pharm and BigAl07
This is a violation of FCC rules and regs. Even possession of a jammer can lead to a significant fine. They are illegal to both sell and posses. The FCC takes jamming very seriously. If he has one for the frequency range of a drone, it would interfere with wifi as well. Many other posts stating this are correct in that assertion. To jam a drone the signal would have to be very wide in bandwidth and thus not compliant to FCC rules, thus the person selling would not have a part 15 certificate. It is illegal to sell an intentional radiating device that is not part 15 compliant. There is no excuse under the law to posses a jammer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94