Is DJI Promoting Flying Over Fires?

You're the only one who thinks so.
Umm, then why is DJI advertising for a native English speaking copywriter to relocate to China, if the current one is doing such a great job? Using the term "You" instead of "Firefighters" gives the clear impression that the each of us reading the email addressed to us should also be "understanding how fires spread" by flying our own drones over them. It's just that the new rig is more efficient at it, according to the copy.:rolleyes:

To be honest, I can see his point of view, especially if one is in a wild fire area. Their life experience could lead them to interpret that they can fly over fires.

Not what they meant, but remember, almost half the world is below average intelligence.
Thank you! :) The bozos will interpret that copy as DJI sanctioning anyone flying over fires, as it makes no mention in the email of that use being limited strictly to firefighters, and this email was also sent to every DJI owner, using the copy "You can..."!:eek:

Last edited:
Yep, and you can't fix stupid. It doesn't take ad copy to influence stupidity, it just happens.
Indeed, but if the copy can be misconstrued that way, it's poorly written in the first place, especially with the DOT focus on anyone flying over fires as # 3 on their "hotlist"! If you are promoting your new armour piercing bullets specifically designed for cops to use against the bad guys wearing body armour, you surely don't want to be emailing your PR piece to every gun owner in the U.S., unless you want the bad guys to consider buying them, too, so they can kill cops wearing bullet proof vests! :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
This thread is a great example of why reading comprehension is so important.
Agreed, which is why smart, competent copywriters write unambiguously in clear and unmistakeable language that cannot be misconstrued by the bozo, with a 3rd grade reading comprehension, who will now think DJI encourages flying his P3S over fires.

Hot off the presses from the same copywriter, while DJI searches for a replacement:

Three new DJI products to be announced at CES:

1. New Drone S (use over Stadiums) designed to "more efficiently understand crowd movement" in stadiums
2. New Drone A (use over Airports) designed to "more efficiently understand air traffic movement on the ground" at airports
3. New Drone F (use over Fires) designed to "more efficiently understand the spreading of fires"

Completes the new DJI line of "FAA In Your Face" drones, specifically designed for flying over Stadiums, Airports, and Fires! :p

Last edited:
Just use your head. It's legal and beneficial for Fire Fighters to utilize for training and for actual fires. It's illegal for YOU to fly over a fire YOU are NOT involved in. It's just common sense. Wow!

Some people do such a good job of convincing themselves they are correct, it surprises them when they find others aren't as gullible. o_O

As we were driving around the night of thanksgiving, we saw a fire break out here in the bay area and it was a big one since it was a furniture warehouse. They used a hose with a boom probably 50 feet up to spray water on the roof. about 20 feet on top of it I saw something that was blinking green much like the blinking sequence of a phantom. I would guess they were using a drone to look at the fire. I did not want to go near them to investigate as I would not want to obstruct traffic. All of them were having a bad night so no sense in adding more fuel to the fire (no pun intended. ) It was just an interesting and possibly plausible application.

As we were driving around the night of thanksgiving, we saw a fire break out here in the bay area and it was a big one since it was a furniture warehouse. They used a hose with a boom probably 50 feet up to spray water on the roof. about 20 feet on top of it I saw something that was blinking green much like the blinking sequence of a phantom. I would guess they were using a drone to look at the fire. I did not want to go near them to investigate as I would not want to obstruct traffic. All of them were having a bad night so no sense in adding more fuel to the fire (no pun intended. ) It was just an interesting and possibly plausible application.
Firefighters actually using drones has been one of the "good" stories in the news lately concerning drones - a nice change from the negative. A quick google search will show how fire departments and forestry personnel are using this technology.

Just use your head. It's legal and beneficial for Fire Fighters to utilize for training and for actual fires. It's illegal for YOU to fly over a fire YOU are NOT involved in. It's just common sense. Wow!
I know, which is why it was insane not to even mention firefighters anywhere in the email sent to every DJI owner, stating

"So whether YOU need to [...], or more efficiently understand the spread of fires, the Zenmuse XT empowers YOUR aerial applications with whole new dimensions of sight.":rolleyes:

Last edited:
Firefighters actually using drones has been one of the "good" stories in the news lately concerning drones - a nice change from the negative. A quick google search will show how fire departments and forestry personnel are using this technology.
Indeed! I'll bet some of the reported media drone sightings over fires are actually firefighter owned rigs! Unfortunately, the media at large has found that drone paranoia attracts a bigger audience than drone promotion. :rolleyes:

Indeed! I'll bet some of the reported media drone sightings over fires are actually firefighter owned rigs! Unfortunately, the media at large has found that drone paranoia attracts a bigger audience than drone promotion. :rolleyes:
LOL.
So now you are saying that the drones sighted over fires which have hampered the firefighters, were actually flown by the firefighters? Because every news report I've read, the drones actually prevented the firefighters from doing their job.

Your original post was full of "drone paranoia."

I think your efforts to "save face" over your original post is backfiring on you...

Maybe not but I wonder how many of the problem drone reports around fires really are drones.
See how paranoia and suggestion are making airplane pilots see drones when they probably aren't any around (check the FAA incident database)
I love that yellow dishwasher at 9500 feet.
i-hMKvcBR.jpg

....that's funny. Altough I'd like to see who makes a drone to fly at 13,000 ft other than military.

(I just picture our military raising their hand on most of these, saying, yep that was us too:D)

hum and why the heck would there be any problem with some one flying over a fire????? what is some one worried that the wind from the props would fan a fire or some thing???? that's ridicules

and unless its a big forest fire or some thing that they would even have any worry of fire fighters or other air craft in the area. Were i live its not even heard of or ever done. They dont even try to put them out and just let them burn unless there is property or life at risk. So the whole thing were every one assumes that if there is a fire that there are going to be big huge air tankers flying around dumping water on a brush fire is not even some thing thats ever ever done in these parts. So there is zero danger any ones going to be encountering any full sized air craft at all. and if the are not flying so low that they might clip the heads of some inmates out with some brooms trying to sweep out the fire i cant see how it could even be a danger to any thing or any one.

But I could see lots of reasons to maybe fly over a fire esp if its ahhhhhh ummmmm some one from the fire department using it for that and now they have more things they could use one for if they had a flir cam on a drone. They could also use it after a fire to look for any remaining hot spots that might still need to be knocked back so it dont flare up again.

Is DJI Now Promoting Flying Over Fires?

Received this promotional statement in an email from DJI today about the Zenmuse XT:

"So whether you need to gain strategic insight into how your crops are growing, or more efficiently understand the spread of fires, the Zenmuse XT empowers your aerial applications with whole new dimensions of sight."

Apparently, the FAA has no appreciation for the well meaning scientists among us, who wiil only be flying our DJI equipment over fires to "more efficiently understand the spread of fires!" :eek:

Not exactly a great move by DJI's PR Department!
Flying over fires is already a "hot" topic.
Best not to encourage more of it in any way!
Designing a drone to fly over fires, and promoting it to every DJI owner, as though flying over fires is a good idea for all drone owners interested in understanding the spread of fires!
Not good!

Don't try this at home, kids! :):):)

You realize that the world is bigger than the USA and the FAA doesn't hold sway over most of us, right?

Reactions: aka1ceman
My car didn't come with clearly worded instructions to stop for Stop signs. I find that omission by the manufacturer to be very irresponsible.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Is DJI Now Promoting Flying Over Fires?

Received this promotional statement in an email from DJI today about the Zenmuse XT:

"So whether you need to gain strategic insight into how your crops are growing, or more efficiently understand the spread of fires, the Zenmuse XT empowers your aerial applications with whole new dimensions of sight."

Apparently, the FAA has no appreciation for the well meaning scientists among us, who wiil only be flying our DJI equipment over fires to "more efficiently understand the spread of fires!" :eek:

Not exactly a great move by DJI's PR Department!
Flying over fires is already a "hot" topic.
Best not to encourage more of it in any way!
Designing a drone to fly over fires, and promoting it to every DJI owner, as though flying over fires is a good idea for all drone owners interested in understanding the spread of fires!
Not good!

Don't try this at home, kids! :):):)

Well, GadgetGuy, I must say I agree with you. Too many people consider their new drone a toy, fail to learn basic safety and [in the US] FAA rules, and they are the idiots who will ruin it for the rest of us. And DJI's not helping. The industry could have taken a hint from SCUBA, where the training agencies got together long ago to set standards, and have largely avoided governments setting standards worldwide.

This should be a matter of concern to responsible owners, and the snark, which I usually enjoy, just shows that the snarker may fit the category of "moran" or "idiot". I. e., ignores the rules. Just sayin', "if the foo sh-ts, wear it", as the old joke goes.

As an example, notice how much emphasis DJI sets on safety. One tiny gray link at the bottom of a page of sales hype. I rest my case.

DJI safety info.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman
I doubt the copywriter will get fired.
I saw this on gizmag.com.
"Adding thermal imaging as an additional sensor options for aerial platforms will open up new AND innovative uses for our users, whether it's gaining strategic insight into how their crops are growing or more efficiently understanding the spread of fires," says DJI founder and CEO Frank Wang.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
As a tool for first on ground, where there is no air support. then potentially a valuable tool BUT let's not forget the craft is plastic, open motors and limited battery life. Maybe, just maybe flying over fires isn't too good an idea (and let's not start on thermal dynamics of fires). Also you would be diverting a resource that could be better utilised elsewhere on the foreground. None the less there is a real potential here for legitimate users.

Not real sure why DJI worded statement as it did but...

Maybe a case in educating users:-
Remotely piloted aircraft in emergency situations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
If you fly, they can’t! | Flight Safety Australia
If you fly, they can't! - Drone Magazine Australia

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl