Is DJI Promoting Flying Over Fires?

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Is DJI Now Promoting Flying Over Fires?

Received this promotional statement in an email from DJI today about the Zenmuse XT:

"So whether you need to gain strategic insight into how your crops are growing, or more efficiently understand the spread of fires, the Zenmuse XT empowers your aerial applications with whole new dimensions of sight."

Apparently, the FAA has no appreciation for the well meaning scientists among us, who wiil only be flying our DJI equipment over fires to "more efficiently understand the spread of fires!" :eek:

Not exactly a great move by DJI's PR Department!
Flying over fires is already a "hot" topic.
Best not to encourage more of it in any way!
Designing a drone to fly over fires, and promoting it to every DJI owner, as though flying over fires is a good idea for all drone owners interested in understanding the spread of fires!
Not good!

Don't try this at home, kids! :):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: richardtomcat
Hmm. So, are you saying it's not okay for firefighters to use this as a tool? I really don't think DJI is telling you to go fly around fires.

Anybody flying over a fire in my area will be shot down by locals
Locals shooting guns into the air sounds far more dangerous than the OP flying over fires :)

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It appears DJI's intention is to release this as a tool. After the price has been revealed, I'm sure many people will not want to buy it just for fun.

The distribution list was not limited to professional firefighters. This was a mass mailing to everyone on DJI's entire email list worldwide.

"Uh, I was just trying to more efficiently understand the spread of fires for my high school science project." :eek:
"I got the idea from an email sent to me by DJI."
"Is that wrong?":rolleyes:

You're reading into this a bit much.

Let's be honest though... how many high school kids can even afford an Inspire 1? Not to mention they'd have to buy this camera too. I'm guessing the camera alone is going to cost $2k+.

It appears DJI's intention is to release this as a tool. After the price has been revealed, I'm sure many people will not want to buy it just for fun.

I have no doubt that it will be a great tool for firefighters.
That isn't the issue.
The PR statement, which doesn't limit itself to that, opens the doors to kids with a P3S deciding they will also want to "understand the spread of fires" by just flying over them. It will make a great Facebook posting! :eek:

This is not about the cameras, but the promotional piece, which should not require you to second guess what they really meant to say! :rolleyes:

I wasn't confused at all. It's very clear. And, for those that are confused, the sticker shock will steer them away. Have no fear, friend ;)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You're reading into this a bit much.

Let's be honest though... how many high school kids can even afford an Inspire 1? Not to mention they'd have to buy this camera too. I'm guessing the camera alone is going to cost $2k+.
Of course they aren't going to buy the camera, or an Inspire 1, but they may already own a P3S, which is how they got on the mailing list in the first place. However, "understanding the spread of fires" sounds like a great idea, especially since DJI thinks it is. You are now pouring gasoline on an open fire!

"I'll help them out with my P3S and maybe win first prize for my science project. I'll fly my drone over every fire and test my hypothesis that fires spread in the direction of the wind!" How cool is that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll help them out with my P3S
I think you're really missing the boat here. This camera will not fit on a P3. It's likely going to cost someone $6k+ to even get a setup that can use it. Kids can think what they want, but they won't be flying with it.

I think you're really missing the boat here. This camera will not fit on a P3. It's likely going to cost someone $6k+ to even get a setup that can use it. Kids can think what they want, but they won't be flying with it.
You are missing my point.
It's not about using the camera being sold. Any camera will work!
It's about a DJI PR person sending out a world wide mass email suggesting that, "more efficiently understanding the spread of fires" is a reason to fly your drone over fires. You certainly don't need anything other than a P3S to "understand the spead of fires" by flying over them, and looking at the video!:rolleyes: The statement implies that understanding the spread of fires is a reason to own any drone. Their new $6k camera rig just makes it more efficient. It's still a grand excuse to fly any drone over a fire!

DJI needs a better copywriter, or a more targeted mailing list for this $6k rig, if they are going to include the statement, "if you need to more efficiently understand the spread of fires"

Last edited:
Locals shooting guns into the air sounds far more dangerous than the OP flying over fires :)

Naw, I'm in the Sierras (just outside Yosemite NP) and we know when, and how to effectively use a shotgun .... instead of a rifle. ;)

As far as scientists doing survey flights and etc. ... I would assume they would coordinate those flights with official responders, and I more than welcome that.

It's the morons who think they are "Film at 11" ... like the one who caused a tanker to be delayed for over 30 minutes this past fire season up here, that I'd like to see go Kamikaze at the end of a 12 ga.

Last edited:
We all know what this ad meant. Only a moron wouldn't understand the context of DJI's statement.
Exactly! Morons are the very ones flying over the fires. DJI's inarticulate PR statement is implicitly endorsing flying over fires "to understand the spread of fires" with any of their drones, but this new camera rig is the one with which to do it most efficiently! Morons don't care about efficiency. They will now do it with the only drone they have!

You shouldn't have to "understand" the context of a well written PR piece, or have to "know" what the ad "meant" to say, but didn't, when the FAA and the media are already up in arms over any drone flying over fires. They don't make any distinction between drones flown by hobbyists and drones flown by the firefighters themselves. All drones are BAD! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Morons own DJI drones, too! We call them stupid, boneheaded, and idiots, but they still own and buy DJI drones, and get the rest of us in trouble! This was simply an irresponsible PR piece written by a moron copywriter at DJI! Admit it! :rolleyes:

DJI needs a better copywriter
There's an opportunity for someone that likes Chinese food and whatever staff discount DJI offer .....
English Copyrighter
Job Requirements

• Native English speaker.
• 4+ years of copywriting experience at a top agency, international company, or major publication.
• Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, journalism, communications, or other similar field.
• Strong understanding of editing techniques and experience adhering to corporate style guides.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Based in Shenzhen.
DJI | Culture

Lots of other jobs in other locations too.
DJI | Culture

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik