Links for new Canadian rules effective June 1st 2019

I passed the basic exam fairly easily.. planningon taking the advanced... thinking a about taking the flight reviewer exam too

$1000 for not having your pilot certificate and/or registration on your person while flying is ridiculous. The fine isnt that high for not having your drivers license on you while driving!

SO are the rules equally applied to rc planes, gliders, helicopters, then what about kites and people relasing LTA ballons etc, and as one person mentioned elswhere, hang gliders, para gliders, etc? Are drones being victimised!
Faling that with all the legislation being built in to DJI's seems like we'll have to use other brands ?

SO are the rules equally applied to rc planes, gliders, helicopters, then what about kites and people relasing LTA ballons etc, and as one person mentioned elswhere, hang gliders, para gliders, etc? Are drones being victimised!
Faling that with all the legislation being built in to DJI's seems like we'll have to use other brands ?

The new rules are for all uav's so yes all rc aircraft are covered but no balloons and kites are not covered.

I wonder how soon DJI will file their Safety Assurance Declarations and which UAVs they will file it for.
Good question I wrote an email to them asking this question, I will let you know when I will get the answer
But it will be good if all the Phantom pilot claim the SAD to DJI to make pressure on them

Reactions: Timinator
If the Phantom4pro is Safety Assurance Declared, I'll go for the advanced exam I think. Without the declaration, there is probably no point since I don't have any aircraft that I could use to take advantage of the extra features afforded by the Advanced Pilot Certificate.

Please advise where we
Can find the material to study for these exams. I looked on the TC site for drone safety but don’t seem to see it. Maybe I’m just a little nuts!!
Is Dji not going to register the phantom series for the new regs for advanced flying??
Do I understand we cannot fly sub zero temps??

If the Phantom4pro is Safety Assurance Declared, I'll go for the advanced exam I think. Without the declaration, there is probably no point since I don't have any aircraft that I could use to take advantage of the extra features afforded by the Advanced Pilot Certificate.

Hi again.
Where is the study material for the advanced exam. An online guy wants a lot of money for this material surely we can get it from TC?
Thanks in advance

Please advise where we
Can find the material to study for these exams. I looked on the TC site for drone safety but don’t seem to see it. Maybe I’m just a little nuts!!
Is Dji not going to register the phantom series for the new regs for advanced flying??
Do I understand we cannot fly sub zero temps??
If you want to fly a phantom legally the new regs state you have to follow the manufacturer's specifications and DJI has the operating temp minimum at 0 degrees.

Hi again.
Where is the study material for the advanced exam. An online guy wants a lot of money for this material surely we can get it from TC?
Thanks in advance

If you are new to drones and you want to try for an advanced certificate you really should take a weekend course. I didn't think I would get much out of the course I took but I learned a lot. You'll also likely need to get a Radio licence if you want the advanced certificate since you may need to communicate with ATC, particularly if you hope to operate in class C airspace.

Get your hands on a copy of From the Ground Up and you'll likely be well positioned to write the advanced exam. remember that even if you pass the written exam you will still need to pass the flight review. Since you are new to drones, why not just try the basic certificate first until you get some experience?

There are some out there that just want to pass the test and if that's the case, they can rely on google. If you actually want to understand the questions, either take a course or get yourself some private pilot training books.

If you want to fly a phantom legally the new regs state you have to follow the manufacturer's specifications and DJI has the operating temp minimum at 0 degrees.
Thanks. What about other
If you are new to drones and you want to try for an advanced certificate you really should take a weekend course. I didn't think I would get much out of the course I took but I learned a lot. You'll also likely need to get a Radio licence if you want the advanced certificate since you may need to communicate with ATC, particularly if you hope to operate in class C airspace.

Get your hands on a copy of From the Ground Up and you'll likely be well positioned to write the advanced exam. remember that even if you pass the written exam you will still need to pass the flight review. Since you are new to drones, why not just try the basic certificate first until you get some experience?

There are some out there that just want to pass the test and if that's the case, they can rely on google. If you actually want to understand the questions, either take a course or get yourself some private pilot training books.
Hi thanks for the advice. So where would I find sufficient info in order to do the basic course. Thank you

Basically from what I've read and watched streaming live unless ur Drone/AC has been certified as safety certified by the individual manufacturer, the advanced certificate wont help you much. But everyone will need to register and get the basic certificate (at the very least) to fly legally as of june 1st

Basically from what I've read and watched streaming live unless ur Drone/AC has been certified as safety certified by the individual manufacturer, the advanced certificate wont help you much. But everyone will need to register and get the basic certificate (at the very least) to fly legally as of june 1st
I agree so where is the best material to learn for the basic exam?

I passed the basic exam fairly easily.. planningon taking the advanced... thinking a about taking the flight reviewer exam too

Hi please advise what you studied if at all to pass basic and where I can find this info.
Thanks

Hi please advise what you studied if at all to pass basic and where I can find this info.
Thanks

There are several flight schools listed on the Transport Canada site that do online courses, take one of them is the best suggestion I can give you.

Where can I get material to learn for basic exam. Surely I don’t need to do a course for this. They are fairly costly?
Thanks

I can't see them doing it for any older models and certainly not Phantom series or smaller.

I work for an organization in Canada that has over 100 DJI drones in commercial use, presently under an SOFC. We have a contact with DJI and to date they have advised that they are likely not going to self declare compliance with any of the Mavic series, Phantom series, or Inspire series drones, which will mean that they will only be able to be flown in class G airspace when the new Regs come into effect.

We have been talking to Transport Canada and there will be no grandfathering or exceptions if DJI does not self declare.

The head of our drone program advised that the cheapest drone presently cleared for advanced use under the new Regs costs $20,000.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous... NOBODY is going to do this... I took the test... I passed it... I registered my drone... I have insurance for it... I did all of this just to see what the process was like.... I have a background in aviation, so I know a fair bit about it... The layman's person who wants to fly their toy drone for fun is not going to do this... The document for the rules is 37 pages long! I have pilot friends and they said that some of the questions asked on the test were hard for THEM! Example... How many VFR VTAs are in the Canada Flight Supplement? Why in the hell would someone flying a toy want/need to know that? I understand that they want to be sure that everyone is safe, and doesn't do anything stupid, but I think it is just a kneejerk reaction to the events in Gatwick. I agree with registration.. heck, I agree to even a basic test, IF THE CONTENT IS RELEVANT TO DRONE FLYING. I think if you limit the heights to 400, 300, 200, or whatever feet AGL, you shouldn't really need to know a lot about aviation procedures, because you are not going to be in the same airspace as aircraft.

EDIT: And to add to who is going to police this? The ones who have the proper paperwork... That's who.. The police aren't going to, thats for sure... Unless someone crashes into something and hurts someone. Otherwise it will be the nosy drone operators who will ensure you have your documentation...

Reactions: DavidGnew

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor