iPhone battery dies fast - what do you do to extend it?

I use an iPhone 5 currently and when it's fully charged and after (1) 20+ minute flight with highest brightness on the screen, battery drops about 15%.

Thanks for all the help guys.

The portable charger seems like the best bet.

But, I am just going to turn OFF location services in my privacy settings on my iPhone.

I feel like this will save a tremendous amount of battery power...( i am hoping )

I only use ATTI mode - and no need for GPS... no need for compass directions.... The height of the quad is the only thing I use, but its actually distracts me more then anything. I have a pretty good visual understanding of how high up 30 to 50 feet is.. and thats as high as I go.

I really only need the phone for two things - Camera visual, and record button.

I always have brightness 100%, mobile data off, Location services on and a 20 minute flight uses about 10/15% battery. Draining from 70% to 8% indicates something wrong with your battery, or at least how it's displaying its charge.

Edit: and I'm using an almost 2 year old iPhone 5.

If you're using IOS 7 there are a few things that you can do to extend your battery life.1. You can go to settings, general and turn off Background App Refresh. 2. Turn off automatic App updates. 3. Go to Privacy, Location Services, and finally System Services- Turn off everything that you don't need such as Diagnostics & Usage, Location-Based iAds, Popular Near Me, and Frequent Locations. All of those things just suck up battery life by using GPS, those are things that most people don't even really use anyway. 4. Go to General, Spotlight Search and uncheck everything, Spotlight constantly crawls your phone to keep up with the information. I don't think I have ever used Spotlight Search anyway. All of those things should give you a nice boost in battery life. Also letting your phone die completely once a month and following that by a full charge before use might help as well!

muhupower said:
Thanks for all the help guys.
, I am just going to turn OFF location services in my privacy settings on my iPhone.

I feel like this will save a tremendous amount of battery power...( i am hoping )

I only use ATTI mode - and no need for GPS... no need for compass directions....
Muhupower, I've had location services off for the last few flights and haven't notice any difference in operation. GPS mode still works if you want to use it, because the Phantom GPS is still working and reporting it's location back to the app. I don't know what the app would use location services for except to cache map data before a flight, which you only need if you're using Ground Station.

Update: I just did a test flight to make sure home-lock still works with location services disabled. It does.
Note to DJI: Feature Request. Option to update Phantom home location to iPhone current GPS location.
I like to move around while I'm flying. Walking the dog, so to speak. It would be cool if home lock was always updated to my current location.

I use the exact same power station. I have two of them as a matter of a fact. I keep one in my hunting gear and I have one Velcro'd to the back of my transmitter and with a full charge on the power station my phone never gets lower than 75% even after using two batteries in my Phantom. These things are awesome and the Morphie is a great quality device. Comes in handy to on hunting trips or anywhere you don't have convenient access to home /auto charger or during a power outage. Great product that really works.

4wd said:
So is that normal for one flight to use *most* of a battery?
I wondered if it was actually showing a battery starting to fail.
I can't say I noticed it go down much at all on my MotoG not after just one flight anyway.
If it goes from 100 to 70 in 20 minutes, then drops to 8 in another 10 as you describe, something is wrong.

My Oppo Find 7a loses about 10-15% battery or less if I fly long enough to take my Phantom's battery down to 30%

I used all the battery saving techniques that I mentioned in my previous post and my iPhone battery went down to 95% after draining the first Lipo down to 30% and on my second battery, the phone battery only went down to 85%. The second flight I flew low and slow, so the flight time was a little bit longer than the first.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl