iPhone battery dies fast - what do you do to extend it?

Reaction score
Hey,

I was out there flying on Monday and my iPhone battery was doing great - like 70% in 20 minutes.

Then all of a sudden 10minutes later I look down and its at 8% and almost ruined my day.... luckily a friend had an iPhone and it was surprisingly simple to just download the app on his phone, connect the wifi and take right off again... *note the camera settings where the same as my settings... I have it set to "soft" and I know by default it was standard...

- I always turn off Cellular service before flying so I don't get any annoying phones calls during flight but also I think it might help battery life considering if I am out of a service area.

- I also went to privacy settings and turned off most my apps location services. This are the ones I left on at the time...

Camera, Compass, DJI Vision, Google Maps, Maps, Zillow, Find my iPhone is enabled also.

- It might be my phones fault it's an iPhone 5 - but wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to extend or at least disable a setting on the phone so hopefully this wont happen again.

Thanks,
-O

I haven't had a problem with my battery dying after one flight but it is a bit of a battery killer.
My phone is fairly new though so if yours is older it probably lost some of it's battery capacity.

The two main battery killers are screen brightness and GPS.
In order to see the screen outdoors in daylight I have to turn the brightness all the way up.
The DJI app uses location services and if it's using the phones GPS the whole time that's a real battery drainer.

If you're not using ground station, You could try disabling location services for the DJI app and see if that helps the battery last longer.
You may also want to kill all other programs that might be running in the background.

I think the compass is used in the location services no?

- I also only use ATTI mode, your saying if I disable the DJI Vision in the privacy location services on my iPhone it will still work?

- I need the Camera View to still work obviously to see whats going on and hit and stop recording

muhupower said:
I think the compass is used in the location services no?

- I also only use ATTI mode, your saying if I disable the DJI Vision in the privacy location services on my iPhone it will still work?

- I need the Camera View to still work obviously to see whats going on and hit and stop recording
I haven't tried it yet, but yeah, it should still work with location services off. It should still show you the phantom location but won't be able to show you your location.

Update: Confirmed: Works fine with location services disabled.

Mine varies - very little consistency.

If I have the phone at 100% charge, then I can usually get a few batteries through it to the 30% warning (I have 4 batteries) As far as I remember, I ran all four through once (but now that I think about it, it might have been my iPad which has a larger battery.

My cunning theory is that the iPhone battery %age meter is total crap. Often it will show 20% full in normal use and then it just shuts down. Other times it will hold 1% for hours while on FB or YouTube. I wouldn't rely on the iPhone percentage gauge.

chriske said:
Mine has 1 2.1 amp output and a 1.0 amp output. better :)

Meh, it's what I had lying around. Bought it for a trip to Peru a few years ago. I don't carry a camera, just use the iPhone for photos (it's always in your pocket, isn't it?) and for some tunes at night. However on the Inca Trail for four days with no electricity this was the best option at the time to recharge the phone. Like everything, technology moves on and things get better. I can get two phone charges or 3/4 ipad charges with one load.

These things (my type and better... :D :D :D ) are very much worth having in your case!

Yea, i had to film on a big festival and i wouldnt even made it true the whole day without this nifty device xD

I am speculating you have a bad battery, or an old battery? I have an HTC One M7 that's about a year old. Starting with 100% charge, I have run through all four Phantom batteries and still have around 60% battery remaining.

happydays said:
Or the percentage figure reading is not accurate. That's what I suspect given my earlier reported experiences.

Then allow the phone to die completely, attempt to power it back up once or twice to make sure it is really dead, then charge it for 6-8 hours with the phone powered off. That should recalibrate the battery meter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31