iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

mcmax20 said:
havasuphoto said:
A "feature" that could possibly be added, is the ability to import existing Topo maps. They are in Garmin Format-but, they exist for some parts of the country, and are highly detailed and accurate.
As for Goggle Earth....you're only going to get new "maps" about every other year, or so...and the Street View ones might not update for years-depends on where you live.

True but I think what we're speaking of is that there is a new map of our areas, but it isn't in the GS app. For me, Google Earth took a new shot just last fall, updating the one from 7 years ago and the quality is much better. What's strange is the PC version of GS is using the updated map but the iPad version is not.
Ya might wanna E-mail DJI support, in LA, and make them aware of that(include 2 screen shots of the same area). I know they are doing a bunch of stuff with the PC version right now...so perhaps an update/upgrade is coming soon.

Zippy1144 said:
Here are a couple of photos from a waypoint test flight I did today. I lost contact once and as you can see I wasn't very far away.
iPadScreenshot_main.jpg

This is a closeup of the power levels. Not great considering the distance and clear view.
iPadScreenshot_Satellites.jpg

I think the problem may be my underpowered usb battery output. I see that DJI recommends 9-20 volt...I discovered my output is only 5 volts.

My first test with iPad ground Station was successful after figuring it out. At first I had some issues of it starting from Go but it eventually worked as I figured it out.

My ground end was set up with the 2.4 ground transmitter with BTU and a Mophie Powerstation Duo USB battery. The mophie USB battery cost about $100, puts out over 6000ma and has 2 USB outputs. I connected the supplied USB cable from the 2.4 datalink one of the Mophie USB ports to power the ground end. I got all good lights on the LEDs.

I too noticed that the Bluetooth signal strength show on the app was as low as your picture. only getting 1 bar and I was about 2 meters away. Transmission bars for the ground end to air end were a few bars that when up and down which I assumed to be normal. Anyway, I set up 3 waypoints and had some trouble with initial test run. I thought I had everything set up but it did not start after pressing go. I saw it update on the iPad but no response. after a few tries, it finally took off and I forgot what I did to get it going. I will test again soon.

Anyway, it flew through the set up waypoints and I let it loop the mission. So it was a success. I selected the go home and the phantom 2 stopped what it was doing and returned directly above my position. rather than do auto landing, I picked up my transmuter which was still on, and quickly toggled from GPS to Atti to GPS on the S1 toggle switch and took control of the phantom for my landing.

I went to test it again with same waypoints mission. I observed that when the phantom took off it first goes up about 10 to 15 feet in the air and hovers for a bit before heading to its first waypoint. So I watched and observed that the bluetooth signal was still only one bar. during this test, my ground end lost connection between waypoints 2 and 3 and I had to think fast to regain connection, but remembered no to panic since the phantom would basically keep flying its mission loop. I regained connection by going to the connection menu in the app and selecting the name of my flight controller again in the menu. was scared for a moment.

Not really sure why I lost connection as I was within visual range of about 100 meters away or less. All was well as I landed by taking control again with the transmitter. Not sure I trust auto landing as I'd rather land it myself. I didn't use the joystick feature on the app, so I might test it out next time out, but only for just minimal flying.

As far as battery for the ground end is concerned, the Mophie Powerstation Duo did it's job. I do not know how many volts it is ,so I am wondering if I used a 9 to 12 volt power supply, would it make a difference in the bluetooth signal. Also wondering if it may have contributed to the loss of connection I had for a moment.

All in all, it was successful.

Here are things I will test that I did not do yet:
1. test the ground end with a different power source to see if I get better signals from bluetooth.
2. test gimbal tilt function using the dii transmitter while in the waypoint loop. (wondering if this is possible )
3. Figure out the heading settings so the phantom can face an object while in a waypoint loop. ( does anyone know how to to "point of interest")
4. go BVR but make sure one of my waypoints is within range of the DJI RC transmitter just in case.

I suppose I could also try some of these in the flight simulator mode

Pootoo said:
Zippy1144 said:
Here are a couple of photos from a waypoint test flight I did today. I lost contact once and as you can see I wasn't very far away.
iPadScreenshot_main.jpg

This is a closeup of the power levels. Not great considering the distance and clear view.
iPadScreenshot_Satellites.jpg

I think the problem may be my underpowered usb battery output. I see that DJI recommends 9-20 volt...I discovered my output is only 5 volts.

My first test with iPad ground Station was successful after figuring it out. At first I had some issues of it starting from Go but it eventually worked as I figured it out.

My ground end was set up with the 2.4 ground transmitter with BTU and a Mophie Powerstation Duo USB battery. The mophie USB battery cost about $100, puts out over 6000ma and has 2 USB outputs. I connected the supplied USB cable from the 2.4 datalink one of the Mophie USB ports to power the ground end. I got all good lights on the LEDs.

I too noticed that the Bluetooth signal strength show on the app was as low as your picture. only getting 1 bar and I was about 2 meters away. Transmission bars for the ground end to air end were a few bars that when up and down which I assumed to be normal. Anyway, I set up 3 waypoints and had some trouble with initial test run. I thought I had everything set up but it did not start after pressing go. I saw it update on the iPad but no response. after a few tries, it finally took off and I forgot what I did to get it going. I will test again soon.

Anyway, it flew through the set up waypoints and I let it loop the mission. So it was a success. I selected the go home and the phantom 2 stopped what it was doing and returned directly above my position. rather than do auto landing, I picked up my transmuter which was still on, and quickly toggled from GPS to Atti to GPS on the S1 toggle switch and took control of the phantom for my landing.

I went to test it again with same waypoints mission. I observed that when the phantom took off it first goes up about 10 to 15 feet in the air and hovers for a bit before heading to its first waypoint. So I watched and observed that the bluetooth signal was still only one bar. during this test, my ground end lost connection between waypoints 2 and 3 and I had to think fast to regain connection, but remembered no to panic since the phantom would basically keep flying its mission loop. I regained connection by going to the connection menu in the app and selecting the name of my flight controller again in the menu. was scared for a moment.

Not really sure why I lost connection as I was within visual range of about 100 meters away or less. All was well as I landed by taking control again with the transmitter. Not sure I trust auto landing as I'd rather land it myself. I didn't use the joystick feature on the app, so I might test it out next time out, but only for just minimal flying.

As far as battery for the ground end is concerned, the Mophie Powerstation Duo did it's job. I do not know how many volts it is ,so I am wondering if I used a 9 to 12 volt power supply, would it make a difference in the bluetooth signal. Also wondering if it may have contributed to the loss of connection I had for a moment.

All in all, it was successful.

Here are things I will test that I did not do yet:
1. test the ground end with a different power source to see if I get better signals from bluetooth.
2. test gimbal tilt function using the dii transmitter while in the waypoint loop. (wondering if this is possible )
3. Figure out the heading settings so the phantom can face an object while in a waypoint loop. ( does anyone know how to to "point of interest")
4. go BVR but make sure one of my waypoints is within range of the DJI RC transmitter just in case.

I suppose I could also try some of these in the flight simulator mode

Follow this thread if you want more on GS and camera tilt.

Ground Station as a Filming Tool viewtopic.php?t=11824

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all when will the gs features be available on the Pv2 app to fly by waypoints.?

If I wanted to go for the full base station setup what do I need to add to the pv2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

antonbdp said:
Hi all when will the gs features be available on the Pv2 app to fly by waypoints.?

If I wanted to go for the full base station setup what do I need to add to the pv2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Unknown when/if waypoints are coming to the P2V app, it's been promised and delayed multiple times since Dec.

The existing groundstation hardware will not work with the P2V.

I got a green light on btu unit but my ipad3 wont see it :/

My question, do I need to have iosd, cos I not got, just the btu unit

volcomstone411 said:

Yes-you need the iOSD Mark 2, or the iOSD mini. they are an integral part of the GS.

havasuphoto said:
volcomstone411 said:

Yes-you need the iOSD Mark 2, or the iOSD mini. they are an integral part of the GS.

...?

Groundstation will work fine without either iOSD mini or mkII, but they are still necessary if you want to see that data in an FPV monitor (or goggles). GS will display much of the same info in it's own interface, even if no OSD is installed.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
volcomstone411 said:

...?

Groundstation will work fine without either iOSD mini or mkII, but they are still necessary if you want to see that data in an FPV monitor (or goggles). GS will display much of the same info in it's own interface, even if no OSD is installed.
I was NOT aware of that. I thought the Air part of the GS had to be plugged into the iOSD......????
Sure wish they would come out with the PC version-w/o BTU

havasuphoto said:
I was NOT aware of that. I thought the Air part of the GS had to be plugged into the iOSD......????

The air end of the GS Data Link does need to connect to a canbus port, and the spare ones on the iOSD mini or mkII can often be the easiest way to do that, but as long as it has a canbus connection that's all that's necessary....the PMU on a P1 or the canbus port on the leg of the P2 will work.

However, if the OSD is already occupying the one available canbus port, then yes the GS (or any other canbus accessory) must connect through the spare port on the OSD...which I realize now may be what you were saying.

havasuphoto said:

I think you can buy it that way now, but even if you buy the "iPad version" it will still work on a PC, you just have to install the PC software.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

The air end of the GS Data Link does need to connect to a canbus port, and the spare ones on the iOSD mini or mkII can often be the easiest way to do that, but as long as it has a canbus connection that's all that's necessary....the PMU on a P1 or the canbus port on the leg of the P2 will work.

However, if the OSD is already occupying the one available canbus port, then yes the GS (or any other canbus accessory) must connect through the spare port on the OSD...which I realize now may be what you were saying.

havasuphoto said:

I think you can buy it that way now, but even if you buy the "iPad version" it will still work on a PC, you just have to install the PC software.
Have many messages into Dealers-and not 1 has answered back that they have 1(PC version), w/o the BTU/Ipad stuff.
Also-I see on some where there is a "waypoint license"....how does this work, if you buy a used unit, and what the heck is a "waypoint license"?? You only get like 6? anyways...

havasuphoto said:
OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

havasuphoto said:

Have many messages into Dealers-and not 1 has answered back that they have 1(PC version), w/o the BTU/Ipad stuff.
Also-I see on some where there is a "waypoint license"....how does this work, if you buy a used unit, and what the heck is a "waypoint license"?? You only get like 6? anyways...

Waypoint licenses were used back when the Groundstation was first released (like a year ago or more) as an accessory for the Wookong. Once they added compatibility for the NAZA this past Nov/Dec (I can't remember exactly), all Wookongs got a full 50-waypoint license by default, and all NAZA's get a 16-waypoint license by default. It doesn't seem to be possible to add more waypoints to either.

When I bought the GS back in Dec, it came with the BTU and the PC software both. Now you can buy it with the BTU OR the PC software. Still works the same, via different interfaces...they just changed up what's included in what box.

So how come my ipad wont see my btu unit?

Its installed into the spare Canbus that comes with standard Phantom 2. Cos I read somewhere that phantom 2 doesn't work with btu unit?

On my P2, the BTU is plugged into the ground end rx and the iPad interfaces with the rx thru the BTU.
The communication thru the iPad only becomes "active" when the air end and the ground end are all connected and the Phantom is powered up and ready...

bernardb said:
On my P2, the BTU is plugged into the ground end rx and the iPad interfaces with the rx thru the BTU.
The communication thru the iPad only becomes "active" when the air end and the ground end are all connected and the Phantom is powered up and ready...

so you plug btu into p2 and when it's turned on and ready to fly then the ipad will recognise it?

volcomstone411 said:
so you plug btu into p2 and when it's turned on and ready to fly then the ipad will recognise it?

No. The Airlink plugs into the P2, then the BTU plugs into the groundlink. Your Ipad connects to the groundlink via the BUT. Then the groundlink talks to the P2 via the airlink over 2.4ghz.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 316
Will probably be installing the ipad/GS in my P2 Zen in the next few days. I don't really see a comprehensive "users manual" that describes all the features, use and capabilities. For example, how do you cut over control from the GS back to the standard transmitter? The users manual on the DJI website is pretty sparse.

jondrew said:
Will probably be installing the ipad/GS in my P2 Zen in the next few days. I don't really see a comprehensive "users manual" that describes all the features, use and capabilities. For example, how do you cut over control from the GS back to the standard transmitter? The users manual on the DJI website is pretty sparse.

Flick to ATTI mode then back to GPS-ATTI mode to regain control.

neiloakley said:
volcomstone411 said:

No. The Airlink plugs into the P2, then the BTU plugs into the groundlink. Your Ipad connects to the groundlink via the BUT. Then the groundlink talks to the P2 via the airlink over 2.4ghz.

so I got the Btu unit that plugs into the Phantom2

but i'm missing another part?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniac