iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

thedjiguy said:
Obviously everyone on this thread is interested in the Ground Station. We are doing a giveaway now of one. Good luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUJ_blUe58
Thanks. What I would like to see, is someone make a youtube video on how to program the GS app, to make a waypoint flight, between 3 or 4 waypoints, with different camera angles-during the flight.

3 successful flights. The 1st flight was one waypoint. The 2nd flight was 3 waypoints. 3rd flight, 5 waypoints. Granted all my flights were in close proximity. I'm easing into this and don't want to anything to go bonkers. I saw a video of this guy's GS Fail, but I think there was A LOT of user error involved.

Every flight, I had my transmitter clenched ready to flip to ATT and take control just in case. I'm happy to report that I did not have to intervene and take control.

My only gripe is that it doesn't transition smoothly between the waypoints (or maybe it's the way I'm programming it?) I noticed a couple times the Phantom was re-orienting itself when proceeding to the next waypoint. I think it's normal, but sometimes it seemed to take a little longer in locking into it's intended path.

All in all, I'm satisfied and content I got it working relatively free of hitches. Didn't crash and didn't lose it. Win.

havasuphoto said:
thedjiguy said:
Obviously everyone on this thread is interested in the Ground Station. We are doing a giveaway now of one. Good luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUJ_blUe58
Thanks. What I would like to see, is someone make a youtube video on how to program the GS app, to make a waypoint flight, between 3 or 4 waypoints, with different camera angles-during the flight.

+1

Facts on how this thing works are woefully absent. I've been too busy to get mine bolted in and try it out.

jondrew said:
havasuphoto said:
thedjiguy said:

+1

Facts on how this thing works are woefully absent. I've been too busy to get mine bolted in and try it out.

That's why I was stressin on the first flight. I watched as many videos as I could find. I familiarized myself with the software as much as possible, and I was still shittin bricks thinking this thing is either going to fly away or into the ground. Although I didn't think I was completely clear on working GS, I'm too anxious like a kid on X-mas. I kept my ambitions modest. She lived to fly another day. The new goal now is to extend my waypoints and report back success.

Regarding to everyone trying to run the data cable from the IOSD mini inside the phantom 2 to the data link out side is easy!

All u need to buy is 2 x Can Modules and a extra data cable!

What to do, first leave the Can-Bus module on the Leg, connect the IOSD mini inside using one of the spare Can Bus Module u bought (there $16 each) then connect the spare cable ($20 each) to the IOSD mini at the other end connect the Can Bus Module. Then connect it to the one running down the Leg. Connect the Leg to your Data Link. Done!

"by macheung » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07 pm

I finally got my data link and BT hooked up.

Fired up the simulator with a very basic route on the iPAD app, uploaded waypoints, hit go and the simulated P2 promptly went out of control and crashed between the only 2 waypoint I have. "

How does the simulator go out of control?

Fdnyfish said:

Fired up the simulator with a very basic route on the iPAD app, uploaded waypoints, hit go and the simulated P2 promptly went out of control and crashed between the only 2 waypoint I have. "

When you hit go on the simulated route, the simulated p2 flys erratically, goes up, flips upside down and then reaches 0 altitude real fast and then the simulation freezes.

macheung said:
Fdnyfish said:

When you hit go on the simulated route, the simulated p2 flys erratically, goes up, flips upside down and then reaches 0 altitude real fast and then the simulation freezes.

:shock: Never seen that before!

Jono said:
Regarding to everyone trying to run the data cable from the IOSD mini inside the phantom 2 to the data link out side is easy!

What to do, first leave the Can-Bus module on the Leg, connect the IOSD mini inside using one of the spare Can Bus Module u bought (there $16 each) then connect the spare cable ($20 each) to the IOSD mini at the other end connect the Can Bus Module. Then connect it to the one running down the Leg. Connect the Leg to your Data Link. Done!
I think I'd like to see pictures of how you did this. It sounds like it should work...but pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you.

Zippy1144 said:
Jono said:

I think I'd like to see pictures of how you did this. It sounds like it should work...but pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you.

That seems to be more unnecessary money and weight. I considered all the different mounting possibilities and the cleanest way was to remove the canbus from the leg. Run the mini iosd and canbus in the shell. Run the Data Link out the side of one of the vent panels. I wish remember who's post I saw (to give him credit), but he dremelled the vent panel and ran the cable through like this...

Not the cleanest cut, but sufficient for my OCD to not kick in.

It seems tight, but it fits inside quite nicely. Aside from the canbus and mini iosd, I also have the interference board from the H3-RD mounted inside and the VTx cables coming out the same leg as the gimbal.

Another successful flight with GS. Only 4 waypoints, but far enough that I lost visual reception. The video feed cut out for about 20-30 seconds, but the GS link stayed connected and I was able to track its progress on the iPad.

macheung said:
Fdnyfish said:

I have used the simulator and it has happened to me many times. Crashing and flipping over. I have about 5 real ground station flights and have never encountered those mishaps. Maybe the simulator does it to make things interesting and funny.

Has anyone figured out a simple way of aiming the camera to the center of an object? If your going around a tree, how to you keep the camera aimed towards the center?

FASTFJR said:
Has anyone figured out a simple way of aiming the camera to the center of an object? If your going around a tree, how to you keep the camera aimed towards the center?
I too would like to know how to have the Phantom fly say facing north while flying east to west. To strafe so to speak.

zoochase said:
I too would like to know how to have the Phantom fly say facing north while flying east to west. To strafe so to speak.

That's exactly what Course Lock mode in IOC is for. You'll have to switch your Phantom Assistant software to NAZA-M mode enable it, here's a guide that explains how it works (pg 17-19): http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .24_en.pdf

OI Photography said:
zoochase said:

That's exactly what Course Lock mode in IOC is for. You'll have to switch your Phantom Assistant software to NAZA-M mode enable it, here's a guide that explains how it works (pg 17-19): http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .24_en.pdf
We are talking about while using the ground station hence the reason posted in "iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2" thread. :D

zoochase said:
OI Photography said:
zoochase said:

We are talking about while using the ground station hence the reason posted in "iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2" thread. :D

Understood, it sounded to me like you thought that you had to get the GS to be able to do that ;)

Have you tried using the HeadingDegree setting at each waypoint? I haven't tested that variable yet, but from what I understand it sets the direction the aircraft points once it reaches that waypoint (and should continute to point as it heads to the next programmed waypoint).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart