Initial Titan Conquer range extender review :-\

The Titan is a directional antenna so you have to make sure it is pointed towards the drone, it has a 34 degree field of transmission, my Titan burns through the heavy wifi in London UK as though it wasnt there, and still has full signal at 5 km, which is as far as I want to fly it and not get into trouble for flying beyond VLOS. The unit is heavy and its easy to let the until attached to the rc point slightly towards the ground. a neck strap on the controller is a good way to go to keep the antenna pointed at the drone. The wips are multi directional and not so dependent on you pointing directly at the drone.

5Km and you reckon you still have line of sight to the drone in London??? You must have amazing eyesight. Lol

I will fly as far away as I want. If you don't like it, too bad. If these weren't designed for long distance flying, they wouldn't have a 4.3 mile range. And people here wouldn't be discussing range extenders.

Now go to your Cub Scout meeting before it's too late.

Just a couple of comments.

First, ever hear of the term 'head room'? No, it is not the air that is between your ears. It is a term that defines a space above the expected operating parameters that ensures that those NORMAL parameters are operational under less than ideal conditions. Ie., you might own a car that will go 195mph and have impressive lateral G force ratings as well as exceptional braking, but that is NOT an endorsement of ANY KIND that you should ever actually NEED to see those numbers in real life. The fact is, a car that can accelerate from 0-60 in under 5 seconds will also have excellent passing capability when driving on an expressway. A car with exceptional lateral handling will be more maneuverable at 45MPH than one that handles just OK.

DJI has built these specs into their gear to ensure that when they are operated within legal and customary limits, they will not lose connectivity.

It is also impossible to make a receiver that will handle the video feed at 1 mile and then suddenly, if you go an extra 50 feet it quits. So, you have HEAD room that ensures reliable performance when used LEGALLY and under ACCEPTABLE guidelines.

I am not a Boy Scout. I am just someone who has a modicum of respect for life, property and since I am operating as a Part 107 Pilot, the law.

As a hobbyist cowboy with clearly very little respect for anything other than your personal satisfaction, you are the kind of person that will harm both the industry and the hobby given enough time.

Just a couple of comments.

First, ever hear of the term 'head room'? No, it is not the air that is between your ears. It is a term that defines a space above the expected operating parameters that ensures that those NORMAL parameters are operational under less than ideal conditions. Ie., you might own a car that will go 195mph and have impressive lateral G force ratings as well as exceptional braking, but that is NOT an endorsement of ANY KIND that you should ever actually NEED to see those numbers in real life. The fact is, a car that can accelerate from 0-60 in under 5 seconds will also have excellent passing capability when driving on an expressway. A car with exceptional lateral handling will be more maneuverable at 45MPH than one that handles just OK.

DJI has built these specs into their gear to ensure that when they are operated within legal and customary limits, they will not lose connectivity.

It is also impossible to make a receiver that will handle the video feed at 1 mile and then suddenly, if you go an extra 50 feet it quits. So, you have HEAD room that ensures reliable performance when used LEGALLY and under ACCEPTABLE guidelines.

I am not a Boy Scout. I am just someone who has a modicum of respect for life, property and since I am operating as a Part 107 Pilot, the law.

As a hobbyist cowboy with clearly very little respect for anything other than your personal satisfaction, you are the kind of person that will harm both the industry and the hobby given enough time.

Yeah - "head room" - the ability to consistently control your Phantom 4 Pro at 4 miles out and at 500m when recommendations are line of sight and 400 feet in most places. Line of sight is less than a mile with a white phantom. You don't need a 4.7 mile and 1200ft altitude "head room", Cub Scout. DJI built in those extreme ranges - including the new Tracktenna which can allow flying out to well over 6 miles because it sells, ><Derogatory comment removed>< , not because you need miles of "head room". If DJI gave a real s$%t about that, they would hardwire a max distance limit into their drones as they do a 500m limit (which is also somewhat garbage, by the way).

There is nothing inherently more dangerous about flying a drone 3 miles out versus 0.5 miles out, just as there is nothing more dangerous in flying it 800 feet up than 300 ft up. A drone will not damage an airplane - birds are a bigger risk.
You are hilarious, Mr. Empty Head Room. Literally complaining on a thread where people's objective is to fly miles out with range extenders.

I leave you with this fun video with a lot of "head room". ><Derogatory comment removed><.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rsm425 and SkyNinja
There is nothing inherently more dangerous about flying a drone 3 miles out versus 0.5 miles out, just as there is nothing more dangerous in flying it 800 feet up than 300 ft up. A drone will not damage an airplane - birds are a bigger risk.
You are hilarious, Mr. Empty Head Room.

You are an idiot.

You say that your Phantom will not damage an airplane. Horse ****. If your phantom strikes a prop, gets into a turbine intake, gets struck by either a main rotor or a tail rotor of a helicopter... bad things will happen. Let me ask you this, you are flying a single engine Cessna at 120 kn and you have to decide which object you want to strike with your main prop. Would you chose a 3 pound piece of hard plastic or a common crow - 1.5 pounds? Which one is going to do MORE damage? The 3 pound rigid Phantom or a 1.5 pound feather covered bag of tiny little bones

You say the crow is the right choice. Idiot.

And... Just because YOU can see what is in front of you using your RC does not mean that you can see to the sides or to the rear - or the top and bottom.

That means you are flying with roughly 15% of your field of vision while just hoping that nothing bad happens in the remaining 85%.

As I stated before, and will not back off from, you are an idiot. You are rolling the dice every time you lose sight of your craft. Granted, the dice might have 10,000 faces and only one would result in a poor outcome, but if EVERY Phantom Pilot took your lead it would result in poor odds for the innocents who get the short straw and someone would get hurt inside a week of such widespread stupidity.

I was also not a Cub Scout. But I bet you weren't either because you seem to be perfectly willing to run roughshod over common sense in order to satisfy your sophomoric, thick-skulled bravado.

BTW, there is nothing the least bit special about your video - unless you are the guy playing the Fender Rhodes on the music track.

Last edited:
There is nothing inherently more dangerous about flying a drone 3 miles out versus 0.5 miles out, just as there is nothing more dangerous in flying it 800 feet up than 300 ft up

At .5 miles you have visual contact with your Phantom - POSSIBLY. At 3 miles out - you most certainly cannot see it. In fact, at three miles out, many would likely not see a Cessna 172 either. So, if you are willing to say that being able to SEE your craft is just as safe as NOT being able to see it... then you are right. I tend to think that most people would side with me, that being able to establish visual contact with your Phantom is inherently safer than NOT being able to establish visual contact.

As for the 800 feet being just as safe as 300 feet...

Since an 800 foot ceiling increases the volume of the space you would be operating in, it AUTOMATICALLY increases risk because it puts your craft into a volume of greater potential intersection with other aircraft. That is true even if one assumed that all air space is populated in a homogeneous manner at all altitudes. In fact, it is NOT. The HIGHER you go, the MORE likely you are to encounter manned aircraft. In fact, the altitudes almost exactly where YOU state there is NO MORE RISK (between 300 and 800 AGL) is, from my experience, the most COMMON altitude for a helicopter to be operating in. Maybe bump the floor up to 400 feet... hmmm... maybe the FAA knew something when they put that ceiling on Part 107 Craft.

Helicopters like to be as efficient as possible. Even the cheapest to operate are going to cost the owner about 5 bucks per minute and it does take TIME to climb and to descend. Rotary craft tend to achieve adequate altitude to ensure an excellent chance at a safe auto-rotation, but also do NOT like to fly much higher than 500-600 AGL. It is also true that helicopter pilots like to avoid strong winds while seeking out denser air - both factors that tend to keep them low. So, your 'no greater risk' altitude increase from 300 feet to 800 feet absolutely flies in the face of the facts of aviation as it relates to rotary craft. Your silly 'safe zone' extension up to 800 AGL is dead center where helicopters are most likely to be found.

Now... do I get my merit badge in sanity? Let the community here decide.

Last edited:
I have a conquer and its requires a modification to the controller to accept the new antennas connection. Exactly how did you swap controllers with your friend to test the conquer range extender? unless he has a conquer range extender as well you could not have connected you conquer to his remote. I have full five bar signals on RC and Video at 5 kilometres , when my battery is down to 50 % on the craft.

I tested my remote (modified one) with his Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~4700 feet before loosing signal.
I tested my remote (modified one) with my Phantom 4 Pro. Distance ~4700 feet before loosing signal.

I tested his remote (not modified) on my Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~12,000 feet before loosing signal.
I tested his remote (not modified) on his Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~12,000 feet before loosing signal.

Also I got a pair of their antennas so when I don't want to use the big panel... Distance: ~2700 feet before things get shaky.

I tested my remote (modified one) with his Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~4700 feet before loosing signal.
I tested my remote (modified one) with my Phantom 4 Pro. Distance ~4700 feet before loosing signal.

I tested his remote (not modified) on my Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~12,000 feet before loosing signal.
I tested his remote (not modified) on his Phantom 4 Pro. Distance: ~12,000 feet before loosing signal.

Also I got a pair of their antennas so when I don't want to use the big panel... Distance: ~2700 feet before things get shaky.

We've asked for you to contact us if you are having an issue. We have yet to hear from you. From what you are describing if your Conquer and Whips are experiencing decreased range there is probably an issue with your modification. We would be more than happy to check it out for you, remod if needed, and test for functionality and ship it back. email us at [email protected] if you'd like assistance.

Warmest Regards
Titan Drones

We've asked for you to contact us if you are having an issue. We have yet to hear from you. From what you are describing if your Conquer and Whips are experiencing decreased range there is probably an issue with your modification. We would be more than happy to check it out for you, remod if needed, and test for functionality and ship it back. email us at [email protected] if you'd like assistance.

Warmest Regards
Titan Drones

Hmm, I thought I sent one way back then. Sorry about that. I've sent another one just now.

Thanks

It is also impossible to make a receiver that will handle the video feed at 1 mile and then suddenly, if you go an extra 50 feet it quits.
This simply isn't true. DJI could easily make the software stop your drone at exactly one mile, IF THEY WANTED TO.

They currently do this with craft altitude, remember? Max limit 500m, EXACTLY.

This simply isn't true. DJI could easily make the software stop your drone at exactly one mile, IF THEY WANTED TO.

The software could be designed to lose contact at 1 mile, or to disable it from going any further. However, I was speaking of the range of the SIGNAL. It would be impossible to create a radio signal that would work reliably up to one mile then, at 1.1 miles, the SIGNAL ceases to exist.. Radio signals just don't do that. Therefore, there is HEADROOM. DJI wanted to make a craft that remains connected under noisy and crowded radio conditions and, in doing so, had to create a signal strong and clean enough to far exceed LOS under average conditions.

The software could be designed to lose contact at 1 mile, or to disable it from going any further. However, I was speaking of the range of the SIGNAL. It would be impossible to create a radio signal that would work reliably up to one mile then, at 1.1 miles, the SIGNAL ceases to exist.. Radio signals just don't do that. Therefore, there is HEADROOM. DJI wanted to make a craft that remains connected under noisy and crowded radio conditions and, in doing so, had to create a signal strong and clean enough to far exceed LOS under average conditions.
No, that's not true either, IMO. DJI simply wants to be the best value drone with the best range within the limits of the FCC, resulting in LightBridge, my favorite technology. IMO headroom has nothing to do with it, otherwise DJI would simply limit the range and claim strong signals to the full range of 1mi, but they didn't do that, so "headroom" is irrelevant IMO. Keep in mind, no other drone manufacturer can go past a mile, reliably, and DJI is way past that. That's one of the reason they have 70% market share. DJI is pushing the limits of the industry, and the FAA to "get with the times". The P4P 4.3mi range is advertised, DJI is hiding nothing, and they don't have much headroom at 4.3 miles. DJI knows 4.3mi is way beyond VLOS, we all do, so does the FAA, yet DJI is allowed to sell their drones to go well beyond VLOS. Just like the FCC, the FAA could potentially put hard limits on flight range, but they haven't gone there, and I don't think they will unless Congress changes their mind about leaving Hobbyists alone. Flying VLOS will remain a guideline for a while it seems. Did you know FAA has prosecuted a total of 48 people for drone violations, to date! 48! They have no staff pursue violators.

Reactions: Johnbryson
No, that's not true either, IMO

This whole thing came up because one irresponsible person here was claiming that the operating range of the P4P was the equivalent of an endorsement to fly it at that range. I reminded this person that Part 107 Pilots have to fly VLOS and he said he would fly his wherever he **** well pleased. He was using the range performance to bolster his argument.

I countered that the range had 'headroom' built into it. I still maintain that is the case. My point is simple. If you want something to work RELIABLY at one mile, the best solution is to make it work semi-reliably at 2 miles and under ideal conditions... exceed even that.

Just because your car will do 160 does not mean the maker is making an endorsement that it SHOULD.

This whole thing came up because one irresponsible person here was claiming that the operating range of the P4P was the equivalent of an endorsement to fly it at that range. I reminded this person that Part 107 Pilots have to fly VLOS and he said he would fly his wherever he **** well pleased. He was using the range performance to bolster his argument.

I countered that the range had 'headroom' built into it. I still maintain that is the case. My point is simple. If you want something to work RELIABLY at one mile, the best solution is to make it work semi-reliably at 2 miles and under ideal conditions... exceed even that.

Just because your car will do 160 does not mean the maker is making an endorsement that it SHOULD.
I respectfully understand your point, but if your flying a mile away you're beyond VLOS anyway, even a half mile is beyond VLOS for most without a dark background. Flying beyond VLOS at 2 miles via FPV is little different safety-wise than flying a half mile away FPV, assuming you watch your battery reserve, and keep a lookout for full size craft in the area (helicopters are the primary risk), and stay below 400' AGL. I think that's why most people are flying beyond VLOS, along with the thrill of course. I actually feel safer from crashing by flying FPV at 1000' range (within LOS) than flying strictly LOS, which is the FAA's preference, simply because I can see better via FPV.

Lightbridge is the bees knees, it's why most will spend so much to buy DJI. Although Wi-Fi communications can take you beyond VLOS for less money (FAAs preference, shorter range), few settle for that after they experience the amazement of DJI's lightbridge range capability.

I respectfully understand your point, but if your flying a mile away you're beyond VLOS anyway, even a half mile is beyond VLOS for most without a dark background. Flying beyond VLOS at 2 miles via FPV is little different safety-wise than flying a half mile away FPV, assuming you watch your battery reserve, and keep a lookout for full size craft in the area (helicopters are the primary risk), and stay below 400' AGL. I think that's why most people are flying beyond VLOS, along with the thrill of course. I actually feel safer from crashing by flying FPV at 1000' range (within LOS) than flying strictly LOS, which is the FAA's preference, simply because I can see better via FPV.

Lightbridge is the bees knees, it's why most will spend so much to buy DJI. Although Wi-Fi communications can take you beyond VLOS for less money (FAAs preference, shorter range), few settle for that after they experience the amazement of DJI's lightbridge range capability.

I agree. I start to have a hard time finding my P4P at times 1000 feet out. At dusk I can see it better due to the little Strobon strobes I have, but there have been times when I have glanced down at my screen in the middle of the day and then looked back up to what appears to be empty sky...

With respect to the conflict that took place with this particular individual earlier in this thread, I think the idea of VLOS was lost on this person. VLOS is not to ensure you do not lose your Phantom. It is to ensure that you do not fly it in the vicinity of any low flying aircraft. FPV does not rate high on that metric.

Just like all the people that complain that the Part 107 Knowledge Exam asked no questions about how to fly a quadcopter. The FAA does not care HOW MANY quadcopters you lose in a lake or run into a brick wall. They only care that you do not hinder manned flight in any manner, shape or form.

The FAA does not care HOW MANY quadcopters you lose in a lake or run into a brick wall. They only care that you do not hinder manned flight in any manner, shape or form.
Not just manned flight, FAA also has focus to prevent injury to people on the ground, hence all the 107 questions about people participating in the shoot, non participants being under protective shelter, being positioned near people, etc.

Warmest Regards
Titan Drones

@TitanDronesInc Just wondering if you guys got my numerous replies? I got the new antennas and they helped double the distance but I'm still not getting any where near the factory distance, and communication about the issues seems to have ceased despite attempting to wait two weeks and a few days for replies...

Not trying to defend the Titan range extender (it may or may not be effective, I dunno), but if range performance was poor prior to the upgrade then there could be something wrong with your P4P, in which case any mods would probably be compromised as well.
[emoji106]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing