IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

DJI Go 2.50 iOS is available today.

Do you see anything new for Phantom 3?

------------------------------Latest Summary---------

Lots of posts have been made on this topic, let me summarize (Jan 14, 2014)

1. You see NFZs on Go App version 2.4 and 2.5. Thus No point in reverting back to old versions.

2. NFZs are stored on a separate DJI's server and appear on a map layer. We don't know when was this layer added to DJI go app (2.4 or 2.3 version or even earlier) to display NFZs

3. NFZ server is active since release of app version 2.5. Initially it was restricting flying even in the vicinity of helipads, hospitals etc but now it is showing only airports as NFZs this is a relief to all drone fliers

4. There have been multiple reports of unusual GPS behavior with app 2.5 release. Taking longer to get to SAFE TO FLY, dropping in and out of GPS when it was always stable before, less satellites than normal.

I will summarize again when new facts emerge out.

I experienced the same problem today..............My DJI GO app kept crashing so I reinstalled it and voila........grounded. The app will not let me take off because of the NFZ. We should be allowed to fly under 400 ft unless we are in the immediate vicinity of the airport. This really bites. It will not let me take off with 3rd party apps either, such as Autopillot. I had all these courses planned but now this thing is a useless paper weight...........

J. Vaughn
Retired Airbus 330 Captain

DJI seem to feel they are entitled to demand you must ask their permission where there is no danger and no legal requirement to notify anyone.
This megalomaniac behaviour results only in frustrated antagonised users, and will mark the end of DJI as #1 drone maker.
Nah...................... I think it's just the natural progression of the hobby so that some kind of safety checks can be implemented to protect the National Airspace. It's not so much DJI as it is our government telling them what is needed to be accepted into our safe, protected airspace. As we have all seen, these craft will fly pretty **** high, even entering into fixed-wing craft airspace. I was against this in the beginning, but have morphed my opinion to the safety side after viewing countless videos of dangerous flights and hearing story after story of what was done with my buds yesterday. They will get this latest kerfuffle worked out soon, I hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Interesting note about the GPS. It seems like there have been multiple reports of unusual GPS behavior in the last couple of days. Taking longer to get to SAFE TO FLY, dropping in and out of GPS when it was always stable before, less satellites than normal, etc. (Please no K-Index posts!)

15 GPS satellites, but GPS repeatedly drops | DJI Phantom Forum
I've seen two more reports today of people who are suddenly having GPS issues.

@alokbhargava - didn't you say you had GPS issues at first with 2.5? Has that cleared up now?

Nah...................... I think it's just the natural progression of the hobby so that some kind of safety checks can be implemented to protect the National Airspace. It's not so much DJI as it is our government telling them what is needed to be accepted into our safe, protected airspace. As we have all seen, these craft will fly pretty **** high, even entering into fixed-wing craft airspace. I was against this in the beginning, but have morphed my opinion to the safety side after viewing countless videos of dangerous flights and hearing story after story of what was done with my buds yesterday. They will get this latest kerfuffle worked out soon, I hope.
Safety??? Did you see my Gibraltar post from earlier? As to these craft flying pretty **** high, yes they do. Which is why for the life of me I never understood just why DJI didn't just keep the old NFZ and implemented a hard, unmodifiable, 120 meter maximum altitude. While it would have pissed off some folks, it would be a LOT less pissed off folks than we have now and would have a far better effect of providing additional safety. Before, on the old NFZ, I could not fly within any of the airports north of Bucharest. But I could fly no problem at my local rc airfield. ON GEO I could get a three day clearance for the zones north of Bucharest and get right into those airports. Where is the added safety? If you haven't seen me post this earlier somewhere else, look at Bucharest before and after. As for my model airfield under GEO? Clearance required.

Old one.PNG
New1.PNG
New2.PNG

Reactions: Fplvert
I believe the FAA is responsible for only the U.S. airspace. That's what I'm referring to. I have no idea how safe the airspace is in other countries.

I've seen two more reports today of people who are suddenly having GPS issues.

@alokbhargava - didn't you say you had GPS issues at first with 2.5? Has that cleared up now?
I continue to face GPS issues, it takes its own sweet time to lock even if there are over 8 satellites and the main concern is that it loses lock and gets lock again setting a new home point. So far I tried only in my back yard as gripped by fear of losing it because of GPS issues with app 2.5 and trauma of NFZs.

Last edited:
3 more flights running 2.43 No zones present on my go app(and I am in a yellow zone). No GPS issues so far, but reading that some experiencing issues, I'm wondering if I should go ahead now and update to be safe, thoughts?
One thing I did learn out of all this is, I never realized I have a very small airport 4.87 miles from me(hence the Verification zone). So today I called there, and talked to the control tower manager. Really nice guy, said he had 5 calls in last 2 days about it. Was interested in what I was flying(at first I was worried), but he was like oh cool, yeah I hear good things about those. He told me as long as I'm w/in 400' altitude FAA rule compliance(he was reading from FAA site), I do not need to call him every flight, maybe just call once a month to check in. He added after looking at my location on map, planes at my distance are rarely if ever below 1,000' I think he might be kind of bored up there, as they only get a plane or 2 a day. Anyways, knowing all this now, I think I might go ahead and update to 2.5 (after all the work I did to avoid it), just to not take a chance with any gps issues or anything. I really dont fly to often away from my own property, and now that I have a relation with my only verification zone, I'm thinking this might be the safe play.

Reactions: schroeder1959
No problem.
I believe the FAA is responsible for only the U.S. airspace. That's what I'm referring to. I have no idea how safe the airspace is in other countries.
As an American expatriate I'll tell you that it's pretty much the same. But see for yourself. Here is KMIA, or Miami international Airport. I can tell you it's a busy one since I grew up there. Again, on the old no fly zone DJI system you could not take oft or get into that der zone. Impossible. Now on "newer safer" geofencing, with a mobile connection you clear yourself for that now yellow zone instead of red and fly all up and down runway 9/27 to your heart's content. Sure it's illegal. But can it be physically done? In a heartbeat. No problem. You could even take off from 27th avenue to be more conspicuous. Could it be done on the old no fly zone system? Never. Physically impossible. Your phantom, 2 or 3, would not take off. In fact if you started your flight from outside the zone the craft would be forced downward as it got nearer to the middle and eventually land by itself. So, where is the proactive increase in safety. Not in GEO. While the old NFZ system kept the phantom/passenger aircraft conflict from happening, GEO allows it to happen with tracking your every clearance. Including, maybe, all the others for that day, and that one guy hopped up on crystal meth who actually flew in there. Then at that point, all the perpetrators for that area get a call from NTSB, FAA and FBI. But anyway, there is no increase in safety with GEO. Increased accountability yes. Increased annoyance at yellow overkills over a lot of current model airfields, yes. Mine included. But more safety? No way. See for yourself.
20160115_015338.jpg
20160115_015542.jpg

I'm amazed just how good marketers are at convincing the public. The public can have the truth, bold, right in front of their eyes, but they still follow the marketing line. Incredible. I should have been in politics considering just how few actually check the facts. DJI, with a **** good system already in play for over two years, which with a 120 meter hard ceiling could have achieved a massive safery increase. But instead, DJI is in the process of managing to lure many into giving up their privacy and outright control of their craft while making them believe that safety will be increased. While yes, there are increases in control and freedom in the ability to now fly into places like Miami international Airport, but who the hell needs this kind of freedom? But it's illegal right? Well, at least the next Mohammed Atta won't need flying lessons. But he will need either a credit card or a mobile number. Oh, and make sure you don't clear your zone on the same day.

The FAA has nothing to do with GEO. The FAA doesn't require geofencing. The FAA doesn't require drone manufacturers to prevent flight into restricted areas. GEO's rules and the FAA's rules are two different things. Especially when operating commercially.

The FAA has an app called B4UFLY. All DJI needed to do was to prompt users to check the B4UFLY app and that's it.

The FAA has nothing to do with GEO. The FAA doesn't require geofencing. The FAA doesn't require drone manufacturers to prevent flight into restricted areas. GEO's rules and the FAA's rules are two different things. Especially when operating commercially.

The FAA has an app called B4UFLY. All DJI needed to do was to prompt users to check the B4UFLY app and that's it.
Exactly. And not only that, as my pictures show, the old system never bothered anyone, was already there!! And not only that, it was uncrackable. It didn't depend on the power of laws to stop people from being morons or terrorists, it stopped you cold before you even attempted it. Most of the true problems were for FAA suggested 400 feet max agl being broken. Hell, DJI could have easily solved that for most of that with a max ceiling of 120. Done. The old system, 120 ceiling, no more problems except for helicopters and the odd airplane flying under that altitude. Which still isn't addressed under geofencing and, I suspect, will come along cause GEO is, at best, an annoyance that is managed by a company that isn't even close to being Jeppesen. As long as folks go up to 500 meters, even with clearances, the shitstorm will come. But people still buy into the ********. Nah, this is just about tracking, period. Nothing else. Not even safety. Again, look at Bucharest and Miami above. Hell, I could find more.

It may look silly and untrue that China is controlling US space :)

I continue to face GPS issues, it takes its own sweet time to lock even if there are over 8 satellites and the main concern is that it loses lock and gets lock again setting a new home point. So far I tried only in my back yard as gripped by fear of losing it because of GPS issues with app 2.5 and trauma of NFZs.
Have you tried a 2.4.3 rollback to determine GPS stability on that platform?

I don't need to roll back to 2.4.3 as I have it on other two devices. Fields are all wet here, waiting for a dry and sunny day to go out and fly with 2.4.3

Reactions: Jeff48920
................ Most of the true problems were for FAA suggested 400 feet max agl being broken. Hell, DJI could have easily solved that for most of that with a max ceiling of 120. Done. The old system, 120 ceiling, no more problems except for helicopters and the odd airplane flying under that altitude.....................
That, of course, would have been the easiest and simplest of solutions. Why it was not considered or implemented by DJI will remain a mystery.

Reactions: jryser and Timmydz
I don't need to roll back to 2.4.3 as I have it on other two devices. Fields are all wet here, waiting for a dry and sunny day to go out and fly with 2.4.3

Been following your posts. Your situation scares me. Poppin Trackimo on next flight as precaution(been gettin lazy with that). I have had steady gps on 2.4.3 thus far, but I fear something could be amiss.

Sorry, it's being pushed through DJI servers to anyone accessing the maps. It's just a matter of time for GEO to infect everyone.:eek:
That, of course, would have been the easiest and simplest of solutions. Why it was not considered or implemented by DJI will remain a mystery.

image.jpeg

Yeah, Brothers, hang on!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
As the thread is becoming very long, I am updating my very first post ( #1) with the summary of findings for every one to have a quick reference. I will keep up updating it if need arises.
This is fantastic that you are doing this because I've gotten lost trying to keep up. It was very helpful to me.

I didn't see anything about the state of the authorization system around the no fly zones. I really don't know what the status of that system is?

I'm afraid to upgrade my app because I'm on the outer edges of a small airport nfz.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT